Who knows about cooking cornet fish please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
Well, this is a new one for me here in S.W.France. I have discovered that the smooth white slabs on the fish counter are 'Cornet'. I have no idea how to cook it but it looks interesting enough to perhaps serve instead of calamari or with aperitifs??
What do you think? :yum::yum:

Common names from different countries can be confusing. Cornetfish here is an inedible, tropical fish.

Mmmm? This is labelled 'Cornet' and is definatly for eating. Cheap too as about €5.50 kg.
I can't be more specific I'm afraid but thanks for trying

A quick Google suggests that this fish is either another name fo,r or a close relative of, the trumpet fish. It appears to be new to the market.

If it looks like a whitefish filet, I would treat it like a whitefish filet.

The Mysterious 'Cornet' Fish!

Thank you all for your thoughts. I'm going to try to find out more about this fish and I'll get back to you all when I know more from my french friends
Bye for now

If it's a big thick chunk I can guarantee it's not a pipefish or trumpetfish. They're long and skinny, not much meat, and we see them frequently when we snorkel. They're also known as coronetfish. Am thinking this must be a regional thing, and it's not what we call it here. I would definitley get a slab of this nice white fish, and cook and eat it!

image-98688916.jpg

Last edited:
The mysterious cornetfish, revisited

Hello again everyone,
Ok, I understand from my french friends that this is a regional term ( one of you was right in suggesting that) for Cuttlefish .!!
So, now that I know that, how do I cook it please. All ideas will be gratefully recieved ;)

Ah, now were talking. Very similar to squid (same family). Cooking should be very short or very long or the texture will be like chewing a rubberband. Grilling over direct heat is a great short term cooking method.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom