Your favorite canned tuna is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just opened a can of Starkist solid white albacore last night and it wasn't mushy at all. I bought an 8-pack of the Costco brand but haven't opened any, yet. I was told they have excellent solid white albacore.....time will tell. :LOL:

I usually buy whatever brand that is on sale when I'm shopping. Typically Bumble Bee or Starkist at our local grocery stores. My daughter prefers the solid albacore packed in water variety, usually priced at 99 cents a can on sale. I personally like fresh tuna steaks for tuna salad, but they're butt load more expensive.

I love Italian olive-oil-packed tuna as well, but I only use it when it's attributes will really star - like in a composed Nicoise Salad - rather than in a Tuna Melt Sandwich. :)

I looked for the fancy brand mentioned (Genova something) when I was shopping today. No dice. And I was at a "real" grocery store, not wally world or my town's grocery store.
Is it regional? Ahhh, or maybe in the ethnic aisle?

any of yins own a feline? mine will CHEW on me & claw me fer tuna. & they get tuna, too.
brats...

anyway, is olive-oil tuna heavy? could you just place that tuna on a sammich without mixing with other fixings?

Just bought some today..Isn't it wonderful..I got a 3oz can for 99 cents and a 6 oz for 1.99...I'm going to use them in an antipasto with chopped olives, cauliflower,carrots,tiny onions, chopped pepperoncini..haven't made this in years, hope it turns out:LOL:

kadesma

How could that be bad? It sounds sooooo good, Kades. I'll be right over with crackers! ;)

Pacanis - sometimes supermarkets have the specialty tuna wherever their "gourmet" &/or import stuff is (canned snails, jarred caviar, etc.).

And Luvs - I have felines, & when I'm enjoying tuna (or sardines or canned kippers for that matter) I always drain the oil over a bowl of their dry food. To them it's not only "Good Eats", but a shiny coat too! :)

Thanks Breezy. I must skip that aisle, as I've never seen canned snails or caviar either. My way of thinking says all the canned seafood should be in one spot, but that makes too much sense.

It's an easy aisle, or really section of an aisle to miss in a regular supermarket unless you're in a place like "Whole Foods" where it's a larger area.

One supermarket here has it right next to the canned meat/fish section, another has it at the very end of the "bread" aisle, & yet another has it in the "pickle" aisle. Go figure.

I looked for the fancy brand mentioned (Genova something) when I was shopping today. No dice. And I was at a "real" grocery store, not wally world or my town's grocery store.
Is it regional? Ahhh, or maybe in the ethnic aisle?

Pecanis, you should be able to find it in the reg tuna aisle at the market. It is not a gourmet product, & put out by Chicken of the sea. My market has them for 10 for $1 each. Personally, I prefer tuna in water, & I can add my own evoo & vinegar combo or whatever I like to the mix.;) Don't see any difference - except an Italian label on the can. Maybe those that have tried it, can tell us what the difference is, aside from a label..

Anyone tried the mayo w olive oil, I've seen advertised on TV?

Re: "Mayo with Olive Oil" - just so happens I cracked open a jar of Hellmann's Mayo with Olive Oil just last night. Didn't like it at all & won't be buying it again. Not only did it have no taste or scent of olive oil, but the taste was the decidedly "funny" taste that I've found in low-fat & no-fat mayos, which is why I never buy them.

I like the starkist in the pouches, no greasy goop to squeeze out.
The flavored ones are pretty good too.... I like the lemon pepper or garlic herb.

Before their Hickory Smoked tuna, I didn't eat tuna. The recipes on the package for Tuna Quesadilla and Tuna Melts are great.

I really like the Bumble Bee "Sensations" Tuna. They have 3 different flavors including; Lemon & Pepper, Spicy Thai Chili, and Tomato Basil.

Sometimes I can find them in the lunchable sizes all packaged up nice and neat with crackers and a spoon! Perfect for a lunch on the go. :)

I like those too, & was pleasantly surprised to find the "Thai Chili" flavor actually quite spicy. Usually mainstream commercial items tend to be on the mild side.

Sorry Pacanis, but snails are not seafood. :LOL:

You're saying that we eat land snails? :huh:
Interesting..... I always thought we ate marine snails, but I know there are land snails that are also edible. I just didn't know they grew as large as typical escargot.
Sorry DQ, I gotta wiki this one. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom