Your Favorite Seafood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While they probably rank second on my list behind the North-Atlantic Haddock from my region, the In-Season Scallops from my region probably rank second. Check these puppies out we had last night!

U10? Try U4! ;)
$10/lb, 4 Scallops, $11.

img_964815_0_2da36b530f6e51d93a557147951d634b.jpg

That's a great price, too, Nicholas.
Do you have access to dry ice and styrofoam shipping containers? ;)

While they probably rank second on my list behind the North-Atlantic Haddock from my region, the In-Season Scallops from my region probably rank second. Check these puppies out we had last night!

U10? Try U4! ;)
$10/lb, 4 Scallops, $11.

Hold those.. on my way... :)

Those look fantastic. Whatcha do with em? Before and after pictures man!

I salt/peppered them, seared in a really hot pan, and finished in the oven until they were barely cooked through. While they rested for a minute I made a quick pan sauce with the pan juices, lemon, a pinch of garlic paste, some flat-leaf parsley, and a knob of butter - a beurre blanc of sorts - as a I swirl in the butter off the heat to make a sauce that will just coat the back of a spoon.

Limoncello and Pinot Grigio on the side with a small salad and fresh hunk of bread to mop up the leftovers.

Fish
1 Dover Sole
2 Halibut
3 Turbot
4 Haddock
5 Bass
6 Sardines
7 Skate wings

Crustacians
1 Cromer Crab
2 Dublin Bay Prawns
3 Razor Clams
4 Sea Urchins
5 Oysters
6 Brown Shrimp
7 Mussels

Others
Squid
Octopus.

I agree with all of the above, but have to list cod and catfish in the first section, blue crabs and lobster in the second section, and subtract sea urchin. Perhaps if I have fresh sea urchin, I would like it. I've only had it from a jar - and it tasted like vinyl smells. :ermm:

:cool: Fresh seafood:

That is so funny. I may print it for my office. :)

No one mentioned the old backyard fish fry with black bass, croakers, and sheepshead of shellcrackers. The key is to salt the raw fish before the cornmeal dip...like eating popcorn!

And catfish!!!

U10? Try U4! ;)
$10/lb, 4 Scallops, $11.

img_965060_0_2da36b530f6e51d93a557147951d634b.jpg

These look fantastic. Wow!

While I love dry processed mondo-sized Sea Scallops and Maine Mussels from my neck of the woods (or sea I guess), Grilled Alaskan King Crab, raw Hamachi, seared Sea Bass... yadda, yadda...

... if I were to only have one option for the rest of my life it would be fresh Haddock. Fish Chowder (stock and milk), Fish Stew (stock and tomatoes), pan-seared with a red-wine sauce (!), deep fried in a sandwich, pan-roasted whole... so many of my favorites.

Haddock for me.

:clap::clap: I have never seen it fresh here, but now it is hard to come by frozen.:chef:

Barbara, that reminded me of the old StarKist commercial "Sorry, Charlie." ;)

I remember. I had the watch. Charlie the Tuna did not swim. It fell into the water when we docked. It "hung" around, but never worked again.:LOL:

I interpreted this thread title a lot differently than the rest of you. The question was "What is your favorite seafood?" I didn't understand the point was to make a list of all the seafood you like. I like everything that comes from the sea. Have never met a fish or mollusk I didn't enjoy... even love seaweed! But my favorite is Nantucket Cape Scallops.

That doesn't exclude my fondness for other critters that swim.

I interpreted this thread title a lot differently than the rest of you. The question was "What is your favorite seafood?" I didn't understand the point was to make a list of all the seafood you like. I like everything that comes from the sea. Have never met a fish or mollusk I didn't enjoy... even love seaweed! But my favorite is Nantucket Cape Scallops.

That doesn't exclude my fondness for other critters that swim.

I think we are making lists because we can't name just one. Fresh is so rare around here that the last one I had was my favorite and the one before and the one before.

I think we are making lists because we can't name just one. Fresh is so rare around here that the last one I had was my favorite and the one before and the one before.

I could not pick just one. I'm like the Rum Tum Tugger when it comes to seafood. I want oysters, get them, then want crab. Get it and pine wistfully for lobster. You get the idea. :)

Tilapia eaters beware!
I have researched this fish for years. Most comes from China where it is harvested in sewage containment pens. They look diseased and sickly and are injected with anti-biotics and anti-biotics added to water to make them appear healthy and then shipped to good old USA. When it says wild caught Tilapia-usually Malaysia, Vietnam, China. Polluted water areas. Don't eat tilapia. On their own, theya re a bottom-feeding fish-full of toxins. The mildness of the meat-don't be fooled. Check out research on this fish.

I had alot of fresh Halibut in Alaska. Very similar to Haddock. Delicious.
You can order from Peninsula Seafood in Alaska and they will deliver overnight in dry ice. When I have extra money, I order a variety box: crablegs, halibut cheeks (the best), sea scallops, and black ling cod. What great fish. Just like it was pulled from the water that day. Well worth the expense. And, they do have online specials for repeat customers.

Buy American. I realize that is is sometimes a difficult task, while shopping. But, I do my homework re: seafood. There is shrimp avalable in most areas in your frozen section that is wild caught USA. I read the labels even if I have to go thru a dozen packages. Of course, when I find one USA wild caught- I buy several. For appetizers and dips, I look for canned shrimp. (Labeled USA wild caught). Not always easy to find, but I work at it. As far as canned tuna. That- is very very difficult. But, I do find USA tuna. Surprisingly, some of the store brands are USA products. I trust our waters and our seafood more than Chinese, Vietnamese, Malaysian. After the sunami, the fish they were importing had to be tainted. The water conditions were deplorable. Sewage, bodies, etc. Louisiana needs time to recoup in certain areas. But, so far- the tests look good on the seafood. I get fresh shrimp while in Fla. right off the boats. And, Fla. lobster. When I am unable to do so, I do my research. The end product and peace of mind is worth the effort. I get so frustrated when I shop at high end specialty stores and they say they have no idea of the origin of their seafood. (They do- it is labeled on the boxes in the cooler..CHINA, THAILAND, MALAYSIA, ETC.) not for me.

Tilapia eaters beware!
I have researched this fish for years. Most comes from China where it is harvested in sewage containment pens. They look diseased and sickly and are injected with anti-biotics and anti-biotics added to water to make them appear healthy and then shipped to good old USA. When it says wild caught Tilapia-usually Malaysia, Vietnam, China. Polluted water areas. Don't eat tilapia. On their own, theya re a bottom-feeding fish-full of toxins. The mildness of the meat-don't be fooled. Check out research on this fish.

Thankfully LAJ, here in florida we have many tilapia farmers... I only buy locally so I don't have to worry... ;):)

Back
Top Bottom