Your Favorite Seafood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see your point buying from local Florida farmers on the fish. But, farm raised is never as healthy and nutritious as wild caught. Farm raised (even in Fla) often use chemicals in the water. I would rather er on the side of safety and look for wild caught. I lived in Fla. many years and always bought from the boats coming in. Still do- when I am there. It is just not as common as it used to be do to overfishing. I do stay away from Swordfish and other fish that are far over-fished. For me -it is wild fish or no fish. Even in Michigan, the markets are full of Chinese seafood. And, the Great Lakes are all around us. I search and research and find Michigan Lake fish. I spent alot of time talking to owners of markets and making inquiries and suggestions re: farm-raised foreign fish and farm raised fish, in general.

Welcome to DC.

Do you have credible sources for these claims?

Frank, I don't find that information anymore alarming then the way chickens are raised, or cattle is slaughtered... It is what it is, chickens, and turkeys are raised in filth, and we still eat them... My only hope is that in the future the way these animals are raised, will change... For the sake of my grandchildren, and their children to come...

Good to know about making sure that the tilapia is not from China, but then again I try to avoid most things from China. I will still eat tilapia, just not from China!

Good to know about making sure that the tilapia is not from China, but then again I try to avoid most things from China. I will still eat tilapia, just not from China!

+1. Now if we could only stop the raping of our native wildlife for the Chinese market. Both here and in China!:mad:

Craig

Frank, I don't find that information anymore alarming then the way chickens are raised, or cattle is slaughtered... It is what it is, chickens, and turkeys are raised in filth, and we still eat them... My only hope is that in the future the way these animals are raised, will change... For the sake of my grandchildren, and their children to come...

Alarming? No. Paranoid and propaganda? Yes.

They look diseased and sickly and are injected with anti-biotics and anti-biotics added to water to make them appear healthy and then shipped to good old USA.

This is more than "they are raised in filth" and franky sounds like an unsubstantiated rumor. But it is ok to make claims that have no proof because it is China.

The number of facts that have been proven to be cultural bias, rumor and paranoid propaganda is staggering. I am not saying it isn't true, I would however welcome credible and verifiable sources for such allegations.

I enjoy lobster steamed and served with butter and freshly sweezed lemon juice. I also like shrimp cocktail and crawfish boils.. :) Scallops are good too when panfried with nothing added it to it..except maybe with some salsa :)

Tilapia

Science Daily and Wake Forest University of Medicine are just two good sources on dangers of this fish. The fish contain very low levels of good Omega 3 but very high levels of fat, PCB, mercury, carcinagins and anti-biotics.
Many studies show this fish to be worse than eating bacon and hamburger. And, the Chinese fish that are farmed are fed corn and animal waste. (Fish are not supposed to eat corn.) The American farm-raised are known to be cleaner than the Chinese farms. But, who wants to eat farm-raised when you can eat wild. Tilapia (according to studies) raises chance of heart disease, asthma and gastro-intestinal problems. 60 Minutes did a segment years ago on this issue with hidden cameras. That- was the last time I ate the garbage fish. Then, started my own research. Tilpia eat animal waste, plastic, metal, etc. They are worse than carp or barracuda. They are the ultimate bottom-feeders. Not for me. I would rather eat something from nearby waters in USA.

Science Daily and Wake Forest University of Medicine are just two good sources on dangers of this fish. The fish contain very low levels of good Omega 3 but very high levels of fat, PCB, mercury, carcinagins and anti-biotics.
Many studies show this fish to be worse than eating bacon and hamburger. And, the Chinese fish that are farmed are fed corn and animal waste. (Fish are not supposed to eat corn.) The American farm-raised are known to be cleaner than the Chinese farms. But, who wants to eat farm-raised when you can eat wild. Tilapia (according to studies) raises chance of heart disease, asthma and gastro-intestinal problems. 60 Minutes did a segment years ago on this issue with hidden cameras. That- was the last time I ate the garbage fish. Then, started my own research. Tilpia eat animal waste, plastic, metal, etc. They are worse than carp or barracuda. They are the ultimate bottom-feeders. Not for me. I would rather eat something from nearby waters in USA.

That's plenty good enough for me. Thanks for the heads up, LAJ
I've never eaten Tilapia, and now I never will.

Well, dogs aren't supposed to eat corn either, and it's the number one ingredient in your typical crappy, commercial dog food that can be easily boughten. Lots of nasty stuff in beef feed, too. There is lots of stuff fed to our companion and food animals that shouldn't be, many fillers and odd ingredients.
That said, I had heard about the conditions that tilapia were farmed in and to tell the truth, haven't boughten any since, but then, I live a few miles from Lake Erie and there are allowances, or quantities of fish that I am supposed to limit myself to from these waters because of the mercury content... I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

And I'll pretend I didn't read that bacon was bad for you :LOL:

Well, dogs aren't supposed to eat corn either, and it's the number one ingredient in your typical crappy, commercial dog food that can be easily boughten. Lots of nasty stuff in beef feed, too. There is lots of stuff fed to our companion and food animals that shouldn't be, many fillers and odd ingredients.
That said, I had heard about the conditions that tilapia were farmed in and to tell the truth, haven't boughten any since, but then, I live a few miles from Lake Erie and there are allowances, or quantities of fish that I am supposed to limit myself to from these waters because of the mercury content... I guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

And I'll pretend I didn't read that bacon was bad for you :LOL:

Pacanis, I could care less if fish eat corn but this makes my stomach turn... I won't touch catfish for the same reason.....
Tilpia eat animal waste, plastic, metal, etc. They are worse than carp or barracuda. They are the ultimate bottom-feeders.

Patooie.....:sick::yuk:

My favorite seafood to cook is Greenling Cod (I've only seen it sold at commercial harbor markets along the northern Pacific U.S. coast). Its flesh is a uber-cool turquoise color that cooks to white. Taste is a bit milder, texture a bit more delicate, than mass market ling cod.

Back
Top Bottom