ISO flour blend for vegan GF waffles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverspoon

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to find a great vegan GF waffles recipe. Does anyone have one? Or maybe someone can help me troubleshoot.

I first tried making waffles using Bob's Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour. Originally I added xanthan gum, per directions on the bag (in addition to the flax egg in the recipe), and they turned out gooey. So I omitted the xanthan gum. Without the gum they are much better, but they seem to lack "body."

Anyway I'd really prefer to find my own blend to use rather than buying a prepackaged one.

So next I tried to make them with a flour blend I mixed myself. This blend contains: brown rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour and potato starch.

This blend seems to work fine for me for pancakes. If I cook them in a cast iron pan they turn out great.

But when I use it for waffles, they are always gooey inside. I have tried experimenting with different heat settings on the waffle maker. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm guessing it's the tapioca flour that is making them gooey? But I don't know for sure. And I also don't know enough about the magic of GF flour mixing to know what I could substitute for it that would fix the problem if that's the case.

Is there another blend I could use, or an adjustment I could make to this one, that would have better results for waffles specifically?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Hi Chief,

Thanks for you reply.

I followed the link given by Stewart, but it takes me to a recipe for pancakes, not waffles.

Have you tried this recipe for waffles and found it works well?

I will give it a shot soon and report back with my results.

If you scroll down, after the pancake recipe, the author also gives a recipe for waffles.
with my own pancake frecipe, I cn alter it by making it thinner and it makes very nice waffles. I would guess that you could do the same with the gluten-free recipe from the site.

I don't know if you use eggs, but if you do, you can separate the egg and beat the white into a stiff meringue, If you don't use eggs, there are egg substitutes that you can do the same thing with. This is then folded into the batter to make the pancakes more fluffy, with a crisp outer layer. Here;s a link for a meringue substitute - https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/vegan-meringues-3364027

And another - https://namelymarly.com/how-to-make-vegan-meringue-three-ways/

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This is the Vegan Richa "Vegan Banana Oat Pancakes" recipe, right? I scrolled through the whole recipe and also did word search but can't find a recipe for waffles.

If it's another recipe your thinking of, any link would be appreciated.

In the meantime I'm going to try this recipe out, making some alterations as you suggest, and see how it goes.

I'm vegan, by the way; and thanks to the links for those meringue subs.

Last edited:
We were gluten free for 2 long. joyless years. We never perfected the waffle game, except to perhaps use a mix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom