Replacing egg's whites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crowcrowcrow

Assistant Cook
So! I am looking for a replacement for egg's whites, not for eggs strictly. The thing that I like to cook is I used to whisk egg's whites, add a little bit of cinnamon, then add oat bran and form some sort of little flat-cakes, and then pop them into a pan, burn them from both sides, without any oil or anything, and what I need now is a replacement for egg's whites because I don't wanna be wasting the yolks, because I am not gonna use them afterwards. What I want to ask You for, is any suggestions that will help me keep this specific "creature" in a flat-cake consistency, so that it wouldn't be too liquidy, nor too stiff, just I would say quite easy to form! Thanks so much x

Pop the yolks in the freezer...feed them to your dog/cat...add the yolk to meatloaf/meatballs...I would not recommend a substitute--there is more sodium and cholesterol in those than in REAL eggs.

I am UK-based and we don't have Egg Beaters 100% Whites here :( I am definiately going to try the chia seeds! But how should I prepare it? Pour a little bit of the seeds in a cup, and add hot water and wait till it becomes thick? (that's what I do with my linseeds), any suggestions Zereh?

Thanks everyone for suggestions

Sounds like you are making the wonderful Dukan diet pancakes?? You can use the yolks as a wonderful conditioner for your hair. Google for the recipe. I would also ask any friends who cook or bake if they would like them for creme caramel, choux pastry, egg wash for bread making etc.

They're often used vegan cooking and baking as an egg replacement. I've not used it to replace eggs. But I have used it to make some pudding.

Use 1 T chia seeds and add 3 T water (it doesn't need to be hot). Stir it up well. Let it sit until it resembles the consistency of egg whites, generally right around 10 minutes.

You can grind the chia seeds first if you're worried about being able to see them in the finished product. If you do grind them (in a coffee bean type grinder) use only 2 teaspoons of the chia meal to the 1/4 c water and let sit until it's goopy.

I am not that focused on appearance, I just care for vitamins and healthy stuff in it :D

Zereh, are You convinced that it's going to work? The chia seeds as a egg-white? If so, it would be lovely!

Thanks so much everyone

P.S. I am not doing dukan's diet, if anything, I try and use some tips from the diet according to the blood type :D

I am UK-based and we don't have Egg Beaters 100% Whites here :( I am definiately going to try the chia seeds! But how should I prepare it? Pour a little bit of the seeds in a cup, and add hot water and wait till it becomes thick? (that's what I do with my linseeds), any suggestions Zereh?

Thanks everyone for suggestions
I recently bought egg whites in a carton with my Ocado order. Waitrose may have them and Sainsbury's does. Suitable for baking and egg white omlettes (Bleuch!!). They can also be frozen but if you do they won't whip for meringue for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom