Thinking of going vegetarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So many people get freaked out about not getting enough protein. Does anyone know of anyone that has Kwashiorkor? I am going to say that I highly doubt it. That is what you get when you have a diet low in protein. And in order to get that disease, you would have to be malnourished. So I tell people to relax and eat all the good stuff (and yes I know there are unhealthy vegetarian/vegans) and your body will take care of the rest.

I am slightly anemic, but I have not changed my diet to add meat back into it at all. I still feel fine, I just can't give blood. I can live with that. And if I want I can add some iron supplements if I so choose. But protein is everywhere and in all foods. Your dark leafy greens can rival any steak out there and without all the fat and cholesterol and with all the good stuff to go with it, such as fiber. And lest we forget those super grains that are out there.

You are right, not many people with a diagnosis of "Kwashiorkor", these days it's called Protein Calorie Malnutrition and that diagnosis crosses my desk at least 3 times a week. Also, Anemia is not a good thing, you may feel fine now, but it will at some point be detrimental to your health.

I could not give up protein from meat--and I can't eat enough green leafy veggies to get my protein fix. Carbs are not my thing, but protein is. Yes, I do days where I get my protein fix from legumes, but I also have days where I crave meat. This mornings breakfast consists of 2 poached eggs, swiss chard, steamed barley with miso, and a BIG glass of veggie juice (tomato, celery, carrot, cucumber, parsley, kale). I eat mostly veggies, but still like my protein.
Yeah, but you and I have ancestors from the North, where there isn't usually enough non-meat food to live on. I think we are genetically designed to be meat eaters.

I was a vegetarian off and on (mostly on) for four years. I never stopped craving meat. Since I was ovo-lacto vegetarian, I got enough animal protein that wasn't meat, but I still craved meat.

So many people get freaked out about not getting enough protein. Does anyone know of anyone that has Kwashiorkor? I am going to say that I highly doubt it. That is what you get when you have a diet low in protein. And in order to get that disease, you would have to be malnourished. So I tell people to relax and eat all the good stuff (and yes I know there are unhealthy vegetarian/vegans) and your body will take care of the rest.

I am slightly anemic, but I have not changed my diet to add meat back into it at all. I still feel fine, I just can't give blood. I can live with that. And if I want I can add some iron supplements if I so choose. But protein is everywhere and in all foods. Your dark leafy greens can rival any steak out there and without all the fat and cholesterol and with all the good stuff to go with it, such as fiber. And lest we forget those super grains that are out there.
Once someone learns to listen to their body, it will tell them what they need to eat to get most of their nutrients.

According to this site: Iron in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group, vegans are no more likely to suffer from anemia than meat eaters. It also lists a bunch of high iron vegis. Time to start getting more iron into your diet.

Yeah, but you and I have ancestors from the North, where there isn't usually enough non-meat food to live on. I think we are genetically designed to be meat eaters.

I was a vegetarian off and on (mostly on) for four years. I never stopped craving meat. Since I was ovo-lacto vegetarian, I got enough animal protein that wasn't meat, but I still craved meat.
That makes sense to me and might explain why pasta and other carbs are not my go-to foods (but I do like potatoes).

you can just try it for a few days and see how you are feeling...good luck in what ever you decide:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom