Thinking of going vegetarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I am vegetarian when I cook at home (I eat eggs, cheese, drink milk). What about if I try to become vegan ? What about proteins ? Lentils are good !
It's very possible to get enough protein on a vegan diet but you'll need to make more of a concerted effort to get the full “family” of amino acid building blocks which our body uses to manufacture muscle and other vital tissue, and are essential for the body’s repair and regeneration needs. Here's a list of some high protein sources besides the Lentils you mentioned:
1. Quinoa is a complete protein just like meat.
2. Avocado has about 5 grams of protein per 8 ounces
3. Dried Apricots also have 5 grms per 8oz
4. Soy Milk has 7 grams per 8 oz
5. Walnuts, Pistachios, and Almonds (also peanut butter)
6. Tofu and Tempeh has 11 grams of protein in 1 serving
7. Kidney beans have 15 grams per serving
8. Broccoli
9. Steel Cut Oatmeal
10. Chick Peas have 16 grams per serving
11. Low-Carb Flat Breads like whole-grain Tortillas
have 30 grams each (check the nutrition label to verify)
12. Fortified cereals (?)

Last edited:
Hello, mollyane, thank you for your answer.

So, I don't know exactly which amino acids are in which food, especially for the amino acids that are not produced by the body. If I eat lentils and avocados, will I get all the essential amino acids ?

Another question : Is there natural vegan food which contains vitamin B12 and vitamin D ?

Not trying to put anyone down here, but the vegans I know look very unhealthy. Almost cadaver like. The folks who eat a "raw" diet seem to be even worse.

Personally, I eat a lot of veggies and often do "no meat" days...however, I also eat meat. I am a protein addict--I admit it--I don't do coffee, but I love protein. Quinoa is one of my favorite subs for protein HOWEVER because quinoa is a staple in SA and since the popularity of it in NA and Europe has resulted in it being expensive in the countries where it grows, I have limited how often I buy it. Eat local. Eat greens. Eat smart.

Last edited:
Hello, everybody,

I didn't read the whole discussion and didn't want to open a new one.

Now I am vegetarian when I cook at home (I eat eggs, cheese, drink milk). When I eat at someone else, I don't refuse (except alcool sometimes).

What about if I try to become vegan ? What about proteins ? Lentils are good !
Will you still eat meat when you eat at someone else's home?

Will you still eat meat when you eat at someone else's home?

Heu... difficult to say "no"*. Actually, I don't go often to someone else's home for a meal.

When I go to someone else's home, I eat just a little portion of meat. And a lot of vegetable. So, now I am not an absolute vegetarian.

* Maybe I should say "no" as directly as for alcool, even if people are going to be surprised. "Hey, shokin, you've become vegetarian ! What happened ?" :D (heu... meat is a waste of food energy ?! I read some articles on the web, why some people become vegan (and cadaveric))

...When I go to someone else's home, I eat just a little portion of meat. And a lot of vegetable. So, now I am not an absolute vegetarian.
Well, you can call yourself a "nutritarian". That's someone whose focus is on nutrient dense foods...and that's a good way to be.

Regarding your question about amino acids. Our bodies produce around half of the 20+ amino acids we need but the rest comes from the protein we eat found in protein dense foods like meat, eggs, dairy, beans, nuts, and seeds...and quinoa. These are called "essential amino acids" that our bodies must have. If we don't get them then our bodies will begin to break down its proteins in search of the nutrients it needs which will start deteriorating our muscle and metabolism if the protein isn't there.

If you want to know what the essentials are (like lysine), and what foods have it, and what specifically it targets in our health then click on this link:
Essential Amino Acids: Vital for Your Health

But that's complicated so just eat nutrient dense foods that have protein and you should be good. Some people have trouble absorbing the nutrients and then they need supplements.

Oh, and your other 2 questions....
1. Best place to get vitamin D is Krill Oil supplements...
...OH, AND 10 minutes in the sun each day!
2. Best place to get B-12 is Clams! Next are oysters, mussels, octopus...then salmon

Last edited:
I always thought one of the best sources was chicken liver--that's what I've fed my sr. dogs who needed vit B12. Vit-Bs are water-soluable and should be replenished daily. If humans were meant to eat a vegetarian diet, we would not have the teeth that we have.

The Richest Vitamin B Foods

I gave up meat and ate Fish for a few months last year. My daughter wanted to be pescetarian. Also felt bad about hurting animals etc. She gave up when she got offred BBQ pork ribs at a friends house lol!
Why not just eat the protein that you don't feel bad about? Adjust your diet to your own needs and just make sure your protein intake is high enough by adding beans, pulses, tofu or eggs.

I gave up meat and ate Fish for a few months last year. My daughter wanted to be pescetarian. Also felt bad about hurting animals etc. She gave up when she got offred BBQ pork ribs at a friends house lol!
Why not just eat the protein that you don't feel bad about? Adjust your diet to your own needs and just make sure your protein intake is high enough by adding beans, pulses, tofu or eggs.
SNIP! Long time. no see! Hope this means YOU'RE BAAAAACK!

Are you sure about that? ;)

I once had a trout with no head or guts, flopping around in my sink. If it doesn't know it's dead, maybe it wasn't alive.

Pretty sure, though since they are usually quite tasty I can overlook it. :cool:

So many people get freaked out about not getting enough protein. Does anyone know of anyone that has Kwashiorkor? I am going to say that I highly doubt it. That is what you get when you have a diet low in protein. And in order to get that disease, you would have to be malnourished. So I tell people to relax and eat all the good stuff (and yes I know there are unhealthy vegetarian/vegans) and your body will take care of the rest.

I am slightly anemic, but I have not changed my diet to add meat back into it at all. I still feel fine, I just can't give blood. I can live with that. And if I want I can add some iron supplements if I so choose. But protein is everywhere and in all foods. Your dark leafy greens can rival any steak out there and without all the fat and cholesterol and with all the good stuff to go with it, such as fiber. And lest we forget those super grains that are out there.

Hello, mollyane, thank you for your answer.

So, I don't know exactly which amino acids are in which food, especially for the amino acids that are not produced by the body. If I eat lentils and avocados, will I get all the essential amino acids ?

Another question : Is there natural vegan food which contains vitamin B12 and vitamin D ?

You can also use Nutritional Yeast. I use it on so many different things. And most folks who go vegan don't even have to worry about B12 for 3 years after doing so. By then you should have enough information to know what to do in your eating lifestyle.

I could not give up protein from meat--and I can't eat enough green leafy veggies to get my protein fix. Carbs are not my thing, but protein is. Yes, I do days where I get my protein fix from legumes, but I also have days where I crave meat. This mornings breakfast consists of 2 poached eggs, swiss chard, steamed barley with miso, and a BIG glass of veggie juice (tomato, celery, carrot, cucumber, parsley, kale). I eat mostly veggies, but still like my protein.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom