Veganuary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveFood365

Assistant Cook
Hi Guys!

Slightly late but is anyone doing Veganuary? I'm considering but don't know where to start and what to start with.

ANy suggestions?

Welcome.

I am trying to shift my food intake a bit to the plant based side from where it is now, but don't plan to become vegetarian, let alone vegan.

But, there are others here who have given up meat... and even a few vegans.

CD

Ive been vegtetarian for 30 + years now.
things have come a very long way
1) Because of the ease of searching for thing, recipes on the internet
2) Because of technology making much better meat substitute products

Check out this website/ magazine:

https://vegnews.com

Not sure if the actual magazine is available worldwide, but it basically covers the globe, and gives heads up of new vegan products, restaurants .. that are popping up all over the world ( along with a recipe section too).

I have never tried their recipes, but I often use their site as a source of new products or restaurants to try. In the search, just type in your country or nearest big city , and likely local ( to you) info will come up.

Hopefully this helps bit. Im sure there are many other websites or sources out there. Feel free to ask any questions.

And just for the record, vegan food isn't always boring.
My meal last Saturday evening:

Soup
- Root vegetable Bisque topped with toasted pepitas ( Not pictured)

Appetizers

- BAKED MUSHROOM, LEEK & BRUSSELS SPROUT TOAST
rosemary & roasted garlic glaze

- ZA’ATAR-GRILLED OYSTER MUSHROOMS
seared potato pavé | cashew | saffron-garlic aïoli

- The thirds was a special, dont remember exactly but it was baby artichoke hearts with a Chipotle aïoli served on a mini rice cake

Main Course

- MISO-MAPLE-MUSTARD GLAZED TEMPEH
three potato mash | smoked chile-roasted pecan | asparagus | horseradish-cashew cream

- BEET & RICOTTA RAVIOLI
lemon-almond ricotta | zucchini, asparagus, green beans, broccoli rabe & cherry tomato | saffron-gold beet sauce

Im not saying it was the best meal Ive ever eaten, but I give and A+ for creativity , effort, and thinking outside of the 'vegan box'.

Best for me was the Grilled Oyster mushrooms and Potato Pave
The beet ravioli I would also consider above average. The pasta was colored / flavored with red beets served in a saffron golden beet sauce garnished with sliced chioggia beets ( aka candy cane beets).

the others were at the very least average, but looked better than they tasted ( again, no bad, but more visual pleasing. No surprises, just tasted as you would have expected them to taste.

As a beverage I had Red Beet Lemonade. First sip felt like I was tasting over lemony, over sweetened borscht. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it.

Most important , I learned an experienced some new things, which is often why I would go to a restaurant like this. Sometimes you need to go out of your comfort zone and experience new ideas.

For the record, no we weren't pigs:LOL: , this restaurant is about 2 1/2 hours from out house, first time we were there, and I like sampling things, so we over ordered so I could taste as much as possible.

We then went shopping at Peddlers Village, all lit up for the holidays.

Sprig & Vine
New Hope, PA
Menu — sprig&vine

Attachments

• IMG_4294.jpg
    IMG_4294.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4296.jpg
    IMG_4296.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4300.jpg
    IMG_4300.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 119
Welcome to the forum LoveFood365!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I cook a lot more vegetable dishes than meat. poultry, and seafood, especially in the summer, with all those veggies and herbs from the garden. Fresh herbs can make things delicious - it doesn't have to be meat.

What are your food preferences? Do you like Indian food? There are more vegetarians in India than anywhere else in the world. Most of the Hindus are lacto-vegetarian, using ghee, yogurt, and paneer, and some use eggs, but there are more dishes without these things than with, so there are many vegan dishes, and meals, that I make without really thinking that's what I'm doing. However, if you do become a true vegan, you have to research it, to see what you will need to get from the fruits and vegetables, legumes, and grains, that you are missing from the meats (B12, D3, and iron come to mind, but I know there are more); the vegetarians that do use the dairy, and those that use eggs, get these nutrients easier, esp. calcium.

I've eaten a vegan diet about 3 1/2 years now. I do it for health reasons so my diet is more restrictive, whole food, low sodium, low added fat. I'd ask you what you like eating now, and then suggest you veganize a few of the recipes to start off with. If you really enjoy cooking it can be really a fun culinary adventure, that you can make food as simple or complex as you desire. When asked I just tell people I don't think about what I can't have, but what I can eat. It's like moving to a new country where the familiar foods aren't available and one needs to substitute and improvise.

Depending on what your motivation for changing your diet is, determines how restrictive the diet is. If you just wish to eliminate animal products vs whole food plant based eating for health (eliminating most if not all commercially processed food) vs a diet for some specific medical reason like heart disease or even the more restrictive anti inflammatory arthritis elimination diet.

The internet does have a lot of recipes, and one can spend a lot of time going through them, I've found some sources are more to my taste than others. A couple of places to start that are more geared toward health oriented vegan eating are pcrm.org, and drmcdougall.com. Of course, a library can be a good place to find cookbooks to look through as well.

If you decide to go vegan you will absolutely need to supplement with B12. You don't need to the first day or the first week, but if you continue a plant based diet it is necessary. D3, depending on how much sun you get whether you need to supplement or not, I do-but I don't get out a lot in good weather and now it's winter so even less so.
Calcium-- you probably don't need to supplement if you eat green leafy vegetables as regular part of your diet. The iron thing that's a whole subject unto itself, but you needn't concern yourself at this point. Low iron and anemia is about as common among the general population as it is with those who abstain from animal products. If you decide to take a multivitamin just make sure it has B12 and I'd stick with just that for the moment. If the nutrition aspect is of real concern you can go to cronometer.com and log in what you eat in a day and it will give you the nutrition profile and it's free for the basics.

Please do share what you like to eat or what you eat in a day, there are a lot people here that have a lot of cooking experience that can help make this a very pleasurable adventure for you.

I am neither vegan nor vegetarian, however, I eat a lot of meatless meals. Today I am making a meatless chili using TVP. I have used that for tamale filling and really like it. The secret to vegetarian and vegan is SPICES.

Welcome.

I am trying to shift my food intake a bit to the plant based side from where it is now, but don't plan to become vegetarian, let alone vegan.

But, there are others here who have given up meat... and even a few vegans.

CD

Hi!

It definitely is a difficult transition which I am finding too!

Ive been vegtetarian for 30 + years now.
things have come a very long way
1) Because of the ease of searching for thing, recipes on the internet
2) Because of technology making much better meat substitute products

Check out this website/ magazine:

https://vegnews.com

Not sure if the actual magazine is available worldwide, but it basically covers the globe, and gives heads up of new vegan products, restaurants .. that are popping up all over the world ( along with a recipe section too).

I have never tried their recipes, but I often use their site as a source of new products or restaurants to try. In the search, just type in your country or nearest big city , and likely local ( to you) info will come up.

Hopefully this helps bit. Im sure there are many other websites or sources out there. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hi!

Oh wow, that is amazing! The two points that you have mentioned above are so true.

Thank you ever so much for the link seems very interesting, I will check it out and hopefully, it works here! Seriously, this really has helped as I legit didn't know when and where to start so thank you ever so much!:)

And just for the record, vegan food isn't always boring.
My meal last Saturday evening:

Soup
- Root vegetable Bisque topped with toasted pepitas ( Not pictured)

Appetizers

- BAKED MUSHROOM, LEEK & BRUSSELS SPROUT TOAST
rosemary & roasted garlic glaze

- ZA’ATAR-GRILLED OYSTER MUSHROOMS
seared potato pavé | cashew | saffron-garlic aïoli

- The thirds was a special, dont remember exactly but it was baby artichoke hearts with a Chipotle aïoli served on a mini rice cake

Main Course

- MISO-MAPLE-MUSTARD GLAZED TEMPEH
three potato mash | smoked chile-roasted pecan | asparagus | horseradish-cashew cream

- BEET & RICOTTA RAVIOLI
lemon-almond ricotta | zucchini, asparagus, green beans, broccoli rabe & cherry tomato | saffron-gold beet sauce

Im not saying it was the best meal Ive ever eaten, but I give and A+ for creativity , effort, and thinking outside of the 'vegan box'.

Best for me was the Grilled Oyster mushrooms and Potato Pave
The beet ravioli I would also consider above average. The pasta was colored / flavored with red beets served in a saffron golden beet sauce garnished with sliced chioggia beets ( aka candy cane beets).

the others were at the very least average, but looked better than they tasted ( again, no bad, but more visual pleasing. No surprises, just tasted as you would have expected them to taste.

As a beverage I had Red Beet Lemonade. First sip felt like I was tasting over lemony, over sweetened borscht. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it.

Most important , I learned an experienced some new things, which is often why I would go to a restaurant like this. Sometimes you need to go out of your comfort zone and experience new ideas.

For the record, no we weren't pigs:LOL: , this restaurant is about 2 1/2 hours from out house, first time we were there, and I like sampling things, so we over ordered so I could taste as much as possible.

We then went shopping at Peddlers Village, all lit up for the holidays.

Sprig & Vine
New Hope, PA
Menu — sprig&vine

Hi!

Thank you for your response! Indeed, vegan food doesn't seem boring now!

I will try the recipes out and great pictures by the way!:yum:

Welcome to the forum LoveFood365!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I cook a lot more vegetable dishes than meat. poultry, and seafood, especially in the summer, with all those veggies and herbs from the garden. Fresh herbs can make things delicious - it doesn't have to be meat.

What are your food preferences? Do you like Indian food? There are more vegetarians in India than anywhere else in the world. Most of the Hindus are lacto-vegetarian, using ghee, yogurt, and paneer, and some use eggs, but there are more dishes without these things than with, so there are many vegan dishes, and meals, that I make without really thinking that's what I'm doing. However, if you do become a true vegan, you have to research it, to see what you will need to get from the fruits and vegetables, legumes, and grains, that you are missing from the meats (B12, D3, and iron come to mind, but I know there are more); the vegetarians that do use the dairy, and those that use eggs, get these nutrients easier, esp. calcium.

Hi!

That is interesting and I have found to start loving herbs more!

I love love Indian food! Well I love all cuisines! This is technically why I want to try somehing out of my comfort zone.

Wow, I didn't really think of the science aspects but that makes sense as at the end of the day, you have to have a balanced diet/meal, even if you are considering to go vegan. Having said this, I have been taking my multivitamin supplements!

I've eaten a vegan diet about 3 1/2 years now. I do it for health reasons so my diet is more restrictive, whole food, low sodium, low added fat. I'd ask you what you like eating now, and then suggest you veganize a few of the recipes to start off with. If you really enjoy cooking it can be really a fun culinary adventure, that you can make food as simple or complex as you desire. When asked I just tell people I don't think about what I can't have, but what I can eat. It's like moving to a new country where the familiar foods aren't available and one needs to substitute and improvise.

Depending on what your motivation for changing your diet is, determines how restrictive the diet is. If you just wish to eliminate animal products vs whole food plant based eating for health (eliminating most if not all commercially processed food) vs a diet for some specific medical reason like heart disease or even the more restrictive anti inflammatory arthritis elimination diet.

The internet does have a lot of recipes, and one can spend a lot of time going through them, I've found some sources are more to my taste than others. A couple of places to start that are more geared toward health oriented vegan eating are pcrm.org, and drmcdougall.com. Of course, a library can be a good place to find cookbooks to look through as well.

If you decide to go vegan you will absolutely need to supplement with B12. You don't need to the first day or the first week, but if you continue a plant based diet it is necessary. D3, depending on how much sun you get whether you need to supplement or not, I do-but I don't get out a lot in good weather and now it's winter so even less so.
Calcium-- you probably don't need to supplement if you eat green leafy vegetables as regular part of your diet. The iron thing that's a whole subject unto itself, but you needn't concern yourself at this point. Low iron and anemia is about as common among the general population as it is with those who abstain from animal products. If you decide to take a multivitamin just make sure it has B12 and I'd stick with just that for the moment. If the nutrition aspect is of real concern you can go to cronometer.com and log in what you eat in a day and it will give you the nutrition profile and it's free for the basics.

Please do share what you like to eat or what you eat in a day, there are a lot people here that have a lot of cooking experience that can help make this a very pleasurable adventure for you.

Hi!

Thanks for your response! To be honest, it has been a great cooking trial and error experience so far! Also, I am doing it for the health benefits too!

Thanks for the links I will check them out and a library is a great shout too!!

Really appriciate the science breakdown that you have kindly suggested! I will definitely consider them alongside the ones I am already taking!

I love this community it really is great!:chef::yum::)

Hi!

Thank you for your response! Indeed, vegan food doesn't seem boring now!

I will try the recipes out and great pictures by the way!:yum:

Glad I can help. Reach out anytime you need, and Ill provide whatever info or links that I think may be of help.

Although vegetarian and veganism ( if thats a word) has been around a lot longer than I have, Ive seen a huge transformation since I started ( about 30 years ago). I credit my ability and desire to cook for making it an interesting and fun journey. Back in the day, the products available were absolutely horrid. If you didn't cook things yourself, you were likely to have little choice, variation... Now , with the popularity of cooking shows, the internet to do home searches , the availability ( in regular markets, in addition to specialty stores) of good products and ingredients, and the new technology that provides for newer, decent tasting ( looking and textured) products ( like impossible burger, beyond meat products and many others). It has definitely become more main stream and available.

I also found that trying foods from different cuisines was beneficial. Many cuisines ( Indian, Mediterranean...). It provides variation and with ingredients so readily available and , at least for me, fun, educational, challenging and a way to explore different cultures.

Another challenge is trying to convert recipes / dishes I like when I was not a vegetarian into a vegetarian/ vegan version. Sometimes its excellent, sometimes good, and sometimes crap. With the new products out there its making it easier.

I've never heard of Veganuary but I have been moving towards a plant-based diet for many reasons.

I will always be a carnivore but I may become a carnivore that doesn't eat meat.

I use some of the meat substitutes like Aldi vegan hot dogs, Morningstar Farms grillers prime, TVP, etc...

I made a small casserole of Andy's ACS this week using TVP instead of ground beef and it was every bit as good as the original recipe.

My next experiment will be a small meatloaf made with TVP and vital wheat gluten.

Back
Top Bottom