Veggie Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bitser

Senior Cook
Started with olive oil, minced garlic, and puree from our greenhouse roma tomatoes. Added red wine and an Italian herb mix. Simmered forever.

Made veggie ricotta from firm tofu, lemon juice, minced garlic, basil, salt, and pepper, with an immersion blender. The food co-op sells veggie parmesan and mozzarella "cheese" which is not bad, but doesn't melt or brown like the real stuff.

Sizzled some veggie rumbles with garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Used whole wheat pasta from DeLallo, very thin, no need to parboil.

It turned out well.

ZykdCRR.jpg

Small chopped salad of greenhouse lettuce and arugula. Glass of 2013 Paitin Campolive Barbera d'Alba.

Last edited:
Looks good !
What brand Parm and Mozzarella due you use/ Prefer ?

I now make vegan ricotta from almonds. You need a kick-A$$ blender , butt it comes our real well.

Bitser, that looks and sounds delicious.

Back in the 1970s, when I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I used to make a really good vegetarian lasagna. I made the whole wheat lasagna noodles with a rolling pin. I could only dream about buying a pasta rolling machine. I usually added a layer of fried eggplant slices in the lasagna. I made the sauce and simmered for a long time. I sometimes added my ground beef substitute: cooked or canned beans (not green beans or waxed beans, but sometimes chickpeas), put through the meat grinder and then fried up in oil with chopped onion. (Some people doubted me when I said there was no meat in the sauce.) I often added vegan Worcestershire sauce. I don't remember using Parm, because it was expensive, but used shredded Moz. It was really good. I just don't have the spoons for all of those steps anymore and can't be bothered to use a substitute for the ground meat.

I just watched an interesting video with a vegetarian, not vegan, lasagna on Pasta Grannies on YouTube. I might try that basil pesto and bechemel sauce, since cooked tomatoes are a problem for me these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exThDVSpGoE

The pan in the pic looks like it's drowning in oil. Yuck!

Anyhow, the basic idea is layers of pasta, sauce, meat, and cheese. It could be done with pasta, a white sauce or pesto, chick peas, lentils, or chopped boiled eggs, and veggie cheese.

Seems like you'd really have to try to make it taste bad.

The pan in the pic looks like it's drowning in oil. Yuck!

Anyhow, the basic idea is layers of pasta, sauce, meat, and cheese. It could be done with pasta, a white sauce or pesto, chick peas, lentils, or chopped boiled eggs, and veggie cheese.

Seems like you'd really have to try to make it taste bad.

Did you watch the video? I didn't notice the picture. YouTube just picks a scene from the video, seemingly at random. I suppose that the oil has come out of the pesto. I would probably dip crusty bread in that oil. I expect it would be tasty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom