What is Lecithin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook
There is so much hype about it as a miracle cure that I cannot believe any of it.
The mayo clinic can’t tell me anything. And the medical industry doesn’t even use the term.

I have seen statements that lead me to believe it is nothing more than an amalgamation of lipids like cholesterol and saturated fats, depending on the source, like eggs I can’t trust any of it. I need to see facts backed up by research!

I do not eat many egg yolks, but egg whites are very good source of balanced protein.

Last edited:
I've never heard of any hype over health benefits, but in the food industry it's used as an emulsifier for processed foods.

It's mostly an emulsifier and used a lot because it's not toxic in any way. Questionable health benefits. Study results have been mixed and not showing any great value at best. The hype hitched onto some showing that there might be cholesterol benefits, but other studies suggest it might even be harmful in that same regard. The hypers always go for the soy lecithin study, because that's the study that says it has benefits, and that's what they're selling. They don't like the studies of egg lecithin, because they show nothing or show potential harm, and no one knows if there's any real difference between the two or it's just wishy-washy study results all around. They've been doing studies for a long, long time without reaching any real conclusions.

medical industry

There must have been some sort of study that convinced the medical industry to say that eggs are OK. Or they were just sewed or paid to change their minds.

Probably a statistical counting of how eggs don't see, to add up to much. But there is still a lot of saturated fat in eggs and a whole lot of cholesterol.

Questionable health benefits. Study results have been mixed and not showing any great value at best. The hype hitched onto some showing that there might be cholesterol benefits, but other studies suggest it might even be harmful in that same regard. The hypers always go for the soy lecithin study, because that's the study that says it has benefits, and that's what they're selling. They don't like the studies of egg lecithin, because they show nothing or show potential harm, and no one knows if there's any real difference between the two or it's just wishy-washy study results all around. They've been doing studies for a long, long time without reaching any real conclusions.

There must have been some sort of study that convinced the medical industry to say that eggs are OK. Or they were just sewed or paid to change their minds.

Probably a statistical counting of how eggs don't see, to add up to much. But there is still a lot of saturated fat in eggs and a whole lot of cholesterol.
There was a study done at Harvard about eggs Egg Nutrition and Heart Disease - Harvard Health Publications. Free-range eggs contain about 1/3 the cholesterol that battery farm eggs contain. As far as saturated fat, an egg contains 1.5 g saturated fat. The cholesterol in eggs is not serum (blood) cholesterol so eggs do not contribute to one's cholesterol level. To find out the nutritional value of eggs, you can check:

Egg Facts, Egg Information, Egg Nutrition, Egg Benefits, Egg Health - Egg Farmers of Ontario

Eggs are a very good source of protein and 14 essential nutrients. As a chicken keeper, I eat a lot of free range eggs.

About 4.5 grams fat in one whole egg, mostly in the yolk. Most of it split nearly evenly between monosaturated and saturated. And there's no conclusive science showing that dietary cholesterol raises blood cholesterol. Olive oil is about 75% monosaturated fat and nearly that much in nuts. Monosaturated fats reduce LDL cholesterol (the "bad" one). And at 72 calories per egg, three eggs makes a protein rich breakfast that last through lunch time.

Foods are only discouraged when there is scientifically valid evidence of some bad effect that outweighs good effects. There's nothing like that for eggs. And "doctors," if you mean your personal physician, are hardly more qualified to interpret medical studies than a layperson. If you mean scientists, they cannot be held accountable for the ignorance of people who imagine they can apply the latest study results to their benefit or who latch onto some result and declare it the last word. It's rare that such a study had any practical meaning, except to the guy who's contemplating the plan for the next study.

There was a study done at Harvard about eggs Egg Nutrition and Heart Disease - Harvard Health Publications. Free-range eggs contain about 1/3 the cholesterol that battery farm eggs contain. As far as saturated fat, an egg contains 1.5 g saturated fat. The cholesterol in eggs is not serum (blood) cholesterol so eggs do not contribute to one's cholesterol level. To find out the nutritional value of eggs, you can check:

Egg Facts, Egg Information, Egg Nutrition, Egg Benefits, Egg Health - Egg Farmers of Ontario

Eggs are a very good source of protein and 14 essential nutrients. As a chicken keeper, I eat a lot of free range eggs.
I get really annoyed about the bad rap eggs have gotten and the misconceptions people have about eggs. If one eats a low fat diet, eating 2 eggs per day is reasonable.

proof

Where is your proof? what is it based on?

Yes I know that doctors say it is safe to eat eggs now but the American heart association says only one a week is safe.

If it is based on statistics, I do not believe it.

I get really annoyed about the bad rap eggs have gotten and the misconceptions people have about eggs. If one eats a low fat diet, eating 2 eggs per day is reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom