Both Gluten AND Sulfite Free Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B'sgirl....

I have known about my dairy allergy for several years after it randomly started acting up, but within the last month/month and a half I began reacting to wheat, and the last few weeks have stopped me from eating any sulfites as well.
However I would like to point out, after talking with my allergist and fellow sulfite boycotters, that my severity and symptoms are not very typical. I'm not sure if you read any earlier posts about my symptoms but something else might be wrong as well. Every time I have a reaction now it is exponentially more severe, and this morning I wound up in the emergency room because my blood pressure was in the negatives and I was suffering from heart palpitations, hallucinations, horrendous calf muscle cramps and mild dementia. Eeek!

The lab results were all done ER style, meaning they only check for what can give immediate results, and urine samples and electrolytes were totally normal. I am strongly suspecting either really bad enemia or celiac, but another possibility could be diabetes. Im getting more blood work done this morning though and i have a heart monitor to keep me in check.

After all that though, I still dont know anything more than I did before and I am very interested about Enterolab! It seems like a MUCH more accurate approach to determining what your body doesnt like. It all turns into waste! I am going to look into it because i have never been happy with the doctors in my town, and the "good" ones are quite far away. I would be willing to pay whatever it takes though to figure this out!! Its a little extreme for my liking haha

You could also have "leaky gut". I was just reading about it because I got the last of my son's Enterolab tests back and he is also sensitive to soy, eggs, and yeast. *sigh*. Anyway, with leaky gut the food goes directly into your blood stream and so after a short time your antibodies recognize those proteins as bad and begins attacking them and your body. That might explain why you keep getting more severe and more and more foods are bothering you. Although I have never heard of it causing hallucinations and such. It can cause other autoimmune problems which might cause your other symptoms. For instance, I have an autoimmune disease that affects my thyroid and causes heart palpitations and othre problems.

Whatever it is, your situation sounds miserable and I hope you can figure out what is causing you so many problems--and soon!

interesting! I have never heard of a leaky gut before. I was at the doctors yesterday and they tested my iron, electrolytes and thyroid and all was normal so who knows! I find out more results in a few days and maybe they will determine something.

Thanks always for the support though :)

one can buy dried fruit that is sulfite free but it does not look particularly appetizing. I have seen it at the Mustard Seed Market and Whole Foods etc.

Perhaps you are going to have to buy some things online.

Last edited:
Sorry I disappeared on this thread. I've been out of town and when I tried to check in my connection was too slow. The sites PieSusan linked are a great place to start. I can give recommendations for GF foods I like, but a lot of it really depends on what you like to eat. I find for myself I can live without bread, but my kids can't, lol. Also, a lot of GF products contain Xanthan gum, which is derived from corn, so that might be a no-no for you.

I really hope your doc(s) can help figure out what's going on. I have low BP and often causes dizzy spells and my doc isn't sure, but thinks it may be related to Celiac Disease. Since going GF I doesn't happen nearly as often.

As for the casein-gluten link, there are a few things that could be. Some people can't have either and some people only have a problem with one. Most often people with CD are misdiagnosed early on as having a lactose intolerance, but later after some time on the GF diet are able to consume lactose again, this is true for myself and a good friend of mine. However, because the casein protein is so similar sometimes the gut can mistake it as gluten and the body will react the same way. My friend's DS is intolerant to gluten and allergic to casein. They actually found all of that out from testing with Enterolab and then doing some allergy testing.

I don't know if I mentioned on this thread, but I know that my intolerance comes from an IgA antibody deficiency. People with this deficiency are likely to have other allergies as well. I have several other allergies, most aren't food related, but a few are.

I keep forgetting to mention something that a lot of people over look. A big problem is cross contamination. The littlest bit of gluten can cause full on symptoms. You might want to clean your kitchen thoroughly and replace a few items. For most people the toaster is the first thing to go because it's impossible to get all of those crumbs out. Also, gluten is a glue (really!) and it sticks in porous objects, such as plastic, wood, cast iron, stoneware, and teflon.

I'm sulfite sensitive too

Hi FoodVacume, I'm in the same boat as you, so really feel your pain!

Last night I made a seafood and porcini mushroom risotto (minus the sherry), but am now wondering if the dried mushroom and even the mussel meat had undeclared sulfites. It's an expensive trial and error, both financially and health wise. :(

How are you with eggs? I'm thinking of making a grilled vegetable frittata tonight.

PS, I've found sake and bacardi work ok as alcohol replacement when cooking, and lemon juice for flavour.

One more thing, I also react to soya milk and tofu, as calcium sulfite is used as a precipitent. I've found soya milk made without sulfites and am ok. For tofu, I've found a place that sels the tofu makers and uses nigari(magensium chloride) instead of calcium sulfate. it also sells soya milk makers. (google this, as I can't post a link here)

I've been adviced to avoid rice milk as it's highly glycemic and people with CD are more susceptible to diabetes, which runs in my family.

I keep forgetting to mention something that a lot of people over look. A big problem is cross contamination. The littlest bit of gluten can cause full on symptoms. You might want to clean your kitchen thoroughly and replace a few items. For most people the toaster is the first thing to go because it's impossible to get all of those crumbs out. Also, gluten is a glue (really!) and it sticks in porous objects, such as plastic, wood, cast iron, stoneware, and teflon.

I totally agree with you on this one. DH has his own toaster and I have a toaster oven for Dad and I. They are in total opposite corners of the kitchen and the GF one has a cover (which is washed often) for when it is not in use. I also have a complete set of measuring spoons/cups, spoons, spatulas, etc. for his cooking. I only do GF baking after the whole kitchen has had a major clean-up and I have sanitized it as well.

Another tip is to wear a clean apron when doing specialty cooking and make sure you take it off each time you leave the kitchen. Your clothing can pick up things as well.

how can rice dream have gluten???? its just rice water oil and salt?please explain as i am gluten intolerant and allergic to casein and dairy?!

It depends on the oil; some "vegetable" oil comes from grain, and not all grain is gluten free. I found that out the hard way :(

Rice Dream uses a barley enzyme to process it. I'm not sure if it's the shelf-stable or the refrigerated one. One of them uses barley and the other doesn't. I just don't buy rice dream. I use Pacific Foods rice milk.

Sulfite Free allergy food list

Hi! I might be able to help...I too suffer from a pretty bad sulfite allergy. I was diagnosed about 3-4 months ago and it has been hell trying to find out what I CAN eat. There is really nothing out there but lists of things that I CAN'T eat....I have started a blog that might help you and give you some ideas...I decided I wanted to help people like me who are clueless. One of my problems is that everything pretty much has to be homemade and I am not really a cook. So check it out if you want...subscribe to it and we can all kind of stick together in this thing! Best of luck to you!
Heather

Wine NOT!

BTW: in case anyone was wondering, my symptoms are severe joint swelling, heart palpitations, high blood pressure, extreme fatigue and weakness and reynauds/circulation problems. I am 41 and a mother of 3.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom