Diabetic Cake and Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want a cake that isn't going to spike blood glucose, you not only need to cut out the sugar (or at least most of it), but the white flour, too.

Although this recipe is posted on the website of a commercial product, I've made the recipe and it's very good. It calls for a combination of almond and coconut flours.
Chocolate Layer Cake with Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting | Swerve Sweetener

Here's another that I've made:
Sugar-Free Low Carb Chocolate Tiramisu Cake Roll

Of course, there is always cheesecake, too. Cream cheese is naturally low carb. I make mine with an almond flour crust and use erythritol for the sweetener.

You can make a healthier cake or cupcake for a diabetic person by using alternative ingredients that are lower in sugar and carbohydrates.

ingredients

For the Cake or Cupcake

1 cup almond flour or coconut flour (these are lower in carbs than regular flour)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed bananas (as a natural sweetener and moisture)
1/4 cup sugar substitute (like erythritol, stevia, or monk fruit sweetener)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk

i also suggest you to use some dried fruits in it to make it more tasty......

i make a really good cupcake that even non diabetic people like. i will post it soon. it's 10 carbs which is a serving.

Mug cakes

This makes 4 servings, about 10 carbs each with coconut sugar

4 T almond or hazelnut flour

2 T cocoa powder

4 T sweetener (I use coconut sugar)

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp vanilla

2 pinches salt

2 eggs

3T oil (I use coconut)

1/2 oz coarsely grated chocolate (I use the baking chocolate from Taza without sugar)

Mix everything together and pour into muffin tins.

You can bake these in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes or you can microwave them for a minute to 2 min at 700 watts. They freeze great too!

I think the math might be off on the number of carbs in those mug cakes. Coconut sugar has the same number of carbs as white cane sugar. It probably has a lower glycemic index. I write probably because, there haven't been many studies (two as far as far as a quick web search uncovers) and one of those two studies was of poor quality. So, it seems like that there are around 12 grams of carbs in each mug cake, just based on the sugar content. While the nut flour may be low carb, it does have some carbs. I think it's still fairly low carb for cake.

Last edited:
The recipe calls for "sweetner" so choose the one you wish. Some sweetners can have very low carbs. Of the flours, coconut flour is even supposedly lower than almond flour which is still lower than regular wheat flour.

Your carb count will depend entirely on the individual choices you make - but I rather think that 10 to 12 would cover it.

It's actually closer to 15g's of carbs for 1 portion. An argument could be made that if a person has diabetes that removing any added sugar is probably being proactive considering all carbs from all sources are still sugars to the body. If the person that has diabetes and is also on a ketogenic diet, then there's probably better options than taking up the majority of their carb allowance in a cupcake. Although, I would eat one. :D imo

Last edited:
COCONUT SUGAR has less carbs then white sugar. i am prediabetic and am working with a nutritionist.

it is old school philosophy that diabetics can't have any sugar. it's carbs that need to be limited and even then we need to make good choices as to which ones we eat.

the mug cake is a small serving of carbs. diabetics are allowed some carbs. it's not brown rice, let's be real, but it's fine for a dessert. cocoa has nutritional properties too.

Good for you to work with a nutritionist! Seeing as almost 40% of adults in North America are pre-diabetic the very bfew that know it and work to change it is rather sad. Most could so easily turn it around and/or hold it at bay.

Back
Top Bottom