Ketogenic Diet for Controlling Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I realize that diets are a personal choice and this isn't for everyone, but it has dramatically helped me quite a bit, so I thought I would share.

After being diagnosed with Type 2 six weeks ago, I realized I needed to take a different approach to the food I eat. I've been more or less following the dietary advice recommended by the American Diabetes Association for the last several years, but it didn't prevent my pre-diabetic condition from progressing to full blown diabetes.

For the last 30 years, the medical community (and the ADA) has been promoting a low fat diet, combined with what they refer to as "good" carbohydrate choices, including whole grains and fruits. When I was diagnosed, I immediately began strictly following these recommendations and those espoused in the "The Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet."

The results were disappointing. Although my blood glucose levels dropped from the mid-200s to the mid-100s, I simply was not able to get them anywhere near the normal range of 70-99. Furthermore, I found myself constantly hungry.

So I started doing some research online, and found a number of references to "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" and "Ketogenic" diets for controlling (or aiding in the control of) diabetes. Dr. Bernstein's book, in particular, has been very eye opening. The author has had type 1 diabetes since the 1940s and, although still has to take insulin injections, has been able to whittle them down to a very low level. Most of his disease is controlled through diet. He has been on this diet since the 1960s and is still active at age 80.

The basic premise is this: the bulk of the calories in your diet should come from fat - about 70% or so. 20-25% comes from protein. Carbs comprise the remaining 5-10%, and pretty much all of those carbs come from vegetables and limited amounts of dairy. No sugar, whether from a natural source or not. No pasta. No breads. Period. But lots of butter, and olive oil, and lots of animal fats.

While there have been other low carb diets popularized over the years, including Atkins and Paleo, this one seems to be geared solely toward the control of diabetes.

I'll admit my first thought was that this could not possibly be good for you. I mean, I've been told my entire life that you should only eat lean meats and fish. We all know saturated fat is bad and causes heart disease, right? Well, it seems that more and more people in the medical community are coming forward to say that isn't the case.

Anyway, I started on it three weeks ago. I've now lost a total of 22 pounds, and my fasting blood sugar is at a normal 85-90 mg/dl, which is the lowest it's been in almost 8 years. Even after meals, it only jumps to around 93-95. Best of all, I am never hungry.

Like I said, I realize this isn't for everyone and some I'm sure will consider it extreme (maybe even nuts), but I was at the point I felt like I really needed to step back and rethink how I've been eating, and to do something different. Because what I've been doing up until now hasn't worked.

I know there are other diabetics here on DC. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. And I'm also happy to discuss specifics, if anyone is interested.

This is very interesting, Steve. It's very impressive that it has turned things around so dramatically for you!

While I'm not a diabetic, I know it's in my future. I like the fact that you don't get hungry with this diet. My concern is cravings. No processed carbs in your diet, (especially pasta, potato, rice and sweets) leaves a giant hole.

The thing I miss the most is rice and beans. I've been eating that 4 or 5 times a week since I was in my 20s, when it was about all I could afford. Pasta I don't miss that much, and I've never been a big potato eater. I do miss beer (essentially nothing more than "liquid bread"). But I can drink wine, which has no carbs and has the added effect of lowering blood sugar. So that's good.

I think the reason this diet keeps me sated is because it has so much fat. I am supposed to have the equivalent of 3-4 tablespoons of fat at every meal. That's like eating a stick of butter a day.

IMO a diet like that is good for the short haul. Once you change your eating habits and lose some weight then I think you can safely start adding back some high fiber/carbs and maintain a more balanced diet. I can now eat an orange and some oatmeal for breakfast, small portions of beans and lentils, small amounts of vegetables like carrots. Gone, for the most part, are the breads, pastas, potatoes and desserts. A normal person could probably have small amounts of baked goods without a problem. I can't have them in the house without triggering a binge. I do allow myself a few French fries, a bagel or a slice of pizza when I'm away from home. Those "treats" happen less than once a month and the rest of the day is pretty much salad and meat.

I've had to redefine my holiday treats and eliminate the sweets and high carb items I was brought up with. I have replaced them with premium nuts, seafood, steak, cheese etc... It works for me.

It has gotten easier for me now that I've resigned myself to the fact that I can't "cheat" and sneak in a slice of pie or cake, the A1C will tell on me! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The whole thing is very personal and what works for one may not work for another.

Good luck!

I have a friend who is a nurse who swears by this diet. She lost over 70 pounds with it roughly 10 years ago and is the picture of health. Like others, I cannot seem to commit myself to switching from breads, pasta, etc. Honestly - I don't think I can cook this way...yes, I know that I would have to learn, but....

And being someone who has diabetes and cannot seem to get it under control, I'm starting to consider drastic measures. :(

I do like the idea of not feeling hungry. I feel hungry even when my tummy feels uncomfortably full. Those fasting bg levels are appealing, Steve.

I may consider this approach myself. My problem is that DW won't much support a meal without some kind of spuds, or starchy something. And to cut sweets out of our house completely will be a real challenge, if not impossible. I hope I can maintain the will-power to stay away from the high-carb foods. I mean, I know how to make all the foods that can kill you slowly, including pasta, pastries, pies, breads, starchy veggies, etc. And my pancakes, I get asked to make them almost regularly.

This won't be easy. fortunately, I've had some success with apples, and various fruits of the same ilk. after eating one whole, cold, gala apple, and testing my blood sugar 20 minutes later, my b-s level went down by 15 points. I'd eaten beef, sunchokes, and savory beans for supper. The apple was a late-night snack. My fasting blood sugar was 74 the next morning. In other words, I will be able to fine-tune my meals to eat healthy, great tasting food, without reverting to old habits if I include certain veggies, legumes, and fruits.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I had great success with Atkin's, until it was time to start adding back in carbs. Would love to find a diet that is effective and fairly easy to stay with.

I had great success with Atkin's, until it was time to start adding back in carbs. Would love to find a diet that is effective and fairly easy to stay with.

I don't think it will ever be easy for a foodie.

I have finally given up on baking, cleaned the shelves of all my baking supplies, only a few spices remain.

I try to focus on the foods I can have and let go of the ones I should not have.

I also have given up on making different foods for guests. Now they eat what I eat and I make no apologies, it's only one meal, they'll survive! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Dinner tonight is brie with red pepper jelly and smoked oysters...miss crackers. Managed to keep it at 16 grams carbs for the meal, will have a salad after with lemon vinaigrette.

This won't be easy. fortunately, I've had some success with apples, and various fruits of the same ilk. after eating one whole, cold, gala apple, and testing my blood sugar 20 minutes later, my b-s level went down by 15 points. I'd eaten beef, sunchokes, and savory beans for supper. The apple was a late-night snack. My fasting blood sugar was 74 the next morning. In other words, I will be able to fine-tune my meals to eat healthy, great tasting food, without reverting to old habits if I include certain veggies, legumes, and fruits.
Chief, are you taking insulin or metformin, or something else? See... I couldn't eat any of those foods. One apple alone has 38 grams of carbs, and I allow myself about 40 grams for an entire day. Apples have been genetically bred to be very high in sugar. Pleasing on the palate, but not so much so on the waistline.

Last edited:
This is a typical breakfast on my diet: 2 eggs fried in duck fat, sand stuffed with 1/2 cup spinach, mushrooms, olives, and about an ounce of goat cheese. I also had a cup of coffee with real cream. The whole thing is high in fat, high in protein, with a total of about 5 carbs. It will definitely keep me full until lunch time.

img_1398431_0_5c66ef96caeafa537aa96cc790f86289.jpg

Dinner tonight is brie with red pepper jelly and smoked oysters...miss crackers. Managed to keep it at 16 grams carbs for the meal, will have a salad after with lemon vinaigrette.

That sounds like a good dinner. I have to stay away from things like pepper jelly, though. Even if it keeps me under the carb limit, I find that the taste of something sweet can trigger sugar cravings - at least for me.

Last edited:
That omelet looks divine!

Lately I have been having trouble digesting butter. I've had to completely switch to vegetable oils, avocado oil has been fine.

That omelet looks divine!

Lately I have been having trouble digesting butter. I've had to completely switch to vegetable oils, avocado oil has been fine.

Thanks! I've had the same problem with butter before. I have to mix it up a bit. In the course of a day, I try to stick to animal fats as much as I can (it makes me feel full longer), but I also use quite a bit of olive oil. I need to look into avocado oil.

Any word on how this diet works on cholesterol levels and heart disease? That's more the issue at my place now that DH has had stent placement.

Any word on how this diet works on cholesterol levels and heart disease? That's more the issue at my place now that DH has had stent placement.

The link between saturated fat and heart disease has always been a tenuous one. On the other hand, there have been several studies done that appear to indicate that increasing fat in the diet (and especially saturated fat) and reducing carb intake can provide benefits to people with heart disease.

This is an interesting research study that was performed in Kuwait:
Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

83 patients with high cholesterol, obesity, and elevated blood glucose were put on a ketogenic diet for 24 weeks.

Results were promising:
"The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly (P<0.0001). The level of total cholesterol decreased from week 1 to week 24. HDL cholesterol levels significantly increased, whereas LDL cholesterol levels significantly decreased after treatment. The level of triglycerides decreased significantly following 24 weeks of treatment. The level of blood glucose significantly decreased. The changes in the level of urea and creatinine were not statistically significant."

Another article in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
"Cardiovascular disease. Several lines of evidence point to beneficial effects of VLCKD (Very Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet) on cardiovascular risk factors. In the past, there have been doubts expressed about their long-term safety and increased effectiveness compared with 'balanced' diets, and clearly negative opinions regarding possible deleterious effects on triglycerides and cholesterol levels in the blood.26 However, the majority of recent studies seem instead to amply demonstrate that the reduction of carbohydrates to levels that induce physiological ketosis can actually lead to significant benefits in blood lipid profiles."

I hate pointing to this or that study, because you can always find a study to support certain claims. I suppose the best advice is to talk to your doctor, and draw your own conclusions, although I think the medical community as a whole is still stuck on the low fat/whole grain bandwagon.

Last edited:
I am not on any medication for my Diabetes Type one. The last time I was on Metformin, it kept making me sick. So the doctor took me off it. But he keeps asking me if I would be willing to try it again. He is satisfied with my numbers and my last A1c had gone down quite a bit. I control my diet very closely. I do understand that bread is a problem for a lot of folks. Fortunately for me, I don't like bread all that much. And if I make desserts, it for someone outside of my home. So I don't get to eat them at all.

I am not sure if what I eat is really controlling my disease. I do have weird eating habits. Tonight I am going to have a baked and seasoned chicken thigh along with a small baked potato. No veggie only because I don't have any in the house. I usually buy petite peas and broccoli frozen. But this month I have been on a veggie kick. I didn't eat at all yesterday. And I probably won't eat tomorrow. But I am going shopping tomorrow afternoon with my daughter and will pick up some veggies to have in the house. I would much rather have the veggie than the potato.

I feel that I have my diabetes under control. I stay away from the carbs and sugar. My diet consists mostly of protein. Now if I could just lose five more pounds, I would be happy. :angel:

The link between saturated fat and heart disease has always been a tenuous one. On the other hand, there have been several studies done that appear to indicate that increasing fat in the diet (and especially saturated fat) and reducing carb intake can provide benefits to people with heart disease.

This is an interesting research study that was performed in Kuwait:
Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

83 patients with high cholesterol, obesity, and elevated blood glucose were put on a ketogenic diet for 24 weeks.

Results were promising:
"The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly (P<0.0001). The level of total cholesterol decreased from week 1 to week 24. HDL cholesterol levels significantly increased, whereas LDL cholesterol levels significantly decreased after treatment. The level of triglycerides decreased significantly following 24 weeks of treatment. The level of blood glucose significantly decreased. The changes in the level of urea and creatinine were not statistically significant."
Another article in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
"Cardiovascular disease. Several lines of evidence point to beneficial effects of VLCKD (Very Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet) on cardiovascular risk factors. In the past, there have been doubts expressed about their long-term safety and increased effectiveness compared with 'balanced' diets, and clearly negative opinions regarding possible deleterious effects on triglycerides and cholesterol levels in the blood.26 However, the majority of recent studies seem instead to amply demonstrate that the reduction of carbohydrates to levels that induce physiological ketosis can actually lead to significant benefits in blood lipid profiles."
I hate pointing to this or that study, because you can always find a study to support certain claims. I suppose the best advice is to talk to your doctor, and draw your own conclusions, although I think the medical community as a whole is still stuck on the low fat/whole grain bandwagon.

Thanks, Steve. Saved me a little time digging up a reference for tomorrows cardio appointment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom