Prunes and Figs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BML

Assistant Cook
I'm in my mid 80s and remember my mother giving us Prunes and Figs as part of our breakfast or even as desert with custard but I have no idea how they were prepared. Can anyone oblige?

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

forums

Prunes=plums, Figs=Figs, usually dried.

Most of the prunes available now have been coated in oil unfortunately. If you can find them without oil then even better.

Just warm them up in water on the stove, to start to rehydrate them, then strain them, it softens them. Add them to custard.

We mostly eat them out of hand. We use them in fruitcake too, either snipped into smaller pieces, or blended with a little water to make a paste and add that to the cake portion of fruitcake. They are tangy sweet and delicious.

Sometimes I put them in oatmeal, just cut into thirds or quarters. I have also used both of them in various sweet breads, chopped up, in place of raisins, most often called for. I never cooked them on their own.

Thats both are really amazing i used in dried form in my routine .figs are useful in fatentening metabolism

We used to make stewed prunes by filling a canning jar with dried prunes, covering them with boiling water, screwing on the lid, cooling to room temperature, and refrigerating overnight before serving.

I think the method was from the prune package and called Never Ending Prunes.

Some people covered the prunes with hot black tea instead of water.

Dried figs were always part of the fruit and nut bowls for our Thanksgiving.

1698754275032.jpeg
The leftovers eventually found their way into a batch of Christmas cookies.

Sadly, the elaborate Thanksgiving day fruit and nut cornucopias have been replaced by giant bags of cool ranch Doritos.🤭

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom