Penzeys spices: Any opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading through the thread reminded me that I also love the Greek seasoning on pork or chicken and the 4S Seasoned Salt on sautéed or steamed veggies (although I don't steam them often). I just started using the the Tellicherry pepper - that's good, too. And I like the Indonesian cinnamon for baking. DH likes the Chicago Steak Seasoning; I like just salt and pepper on my steak. And I bought the Zaa'tar seasoning last time I was there. Serious Eats has a recipe for grilled whole chicken with a sauce flavored with Zaa'tar. Can't wait to try that.

Reading through the thread reminded me that I also love the Greek seasoning on pork or chicken and the 4S Seasoned Salt on sautéed or steamed veggies (although I don't steam them often). I just started using the the Tellicherry pepper - that's good, too. And I like the Indonesian cinnamon for baking. DH likes the Chicago Steak Seasoning; I like just salt and pepper on my steak. And I bought the Zaa'tar seasoning last time I was there. Serious Eats has a recipe for grilled whole chicken with a sauce flavored with Zaa'tar. Can't wait to try that.

That's where I had a problem. :LOL: I need cinnamon badly - I'm almost out - and couldn't decide which one to get. I finally got fed up with my indecision and played it safe, and ordered the Penzey's blend. I've got SOOO many jars and bottles in my spice cabinet already and didn't want to get more than one of the same spice. :ermm::LOL: Good to know the Indonesian is a nice baking cinnamon. My daughter is a big fan of the Vietnamese.

Thanks for your other recommendations as well, GG. Like you, for a grilled rib eye, I prefer just s and p.

Last edited:
I know I started this thread. I know I sing Penzeys praises. However, I now also buy from The Spice House. TSH is the original store, now run by Bill Penzeys' sister. You probably know the falling-out they had over spice rights, and not talking to each other for ages. Now they are talking again.

Anyway, over the last couple of years it seems Bill Penzeys has been pushing a political agenda. It doesn't matter whether or not I agree with his views, all I want to do is buy spices! I still shop there, but with some eye-rolling at times. :LOL:

I also have found that Spice House has a wider selection of spices, herbs, and seasonings - or at least it seems that way. Also, ounce for ounce, I think most of the Spice House ones are cheaper. And as much as I love Penzeys Greek Seasoning, sometimes it seems way to salty. Surprise, TSH doesn't add salt! Salt is cheap, I can add just a wee bit as I use the unsalted seasoning blend.

I like the fact that Penzeys has a smattering of stores all around the country. Spice House has just a couple, and they are mostly Chicago and north. From where we are, I can get to one of two Penzeys in under an hour. In fact, I think we're headed to one tomorrow. :)

The down side from ordering from Spice House? No free shipping. Unless you sign up for their e-mails and/or friend them on FB. They did offer free shipping on orders of $25 or more both for Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day. I ordered each time...:ermm:

The following is an email got from Penzy's. I was wondering if any of you got one also. I am refusing the offer. But it does sound interesting.

Ireland is the focus for our next catalog and we could use your help finding the cooks to feature. We are starting on a three-catalog arc with the theme of “Love People – Cook Them Tasty Food.” After my daughter Teddi and I visited Dublin earlier this month as part of a larger world trip, I’m convinced Ireland is the right place to start. All too often when we think of love, we imagine it as something soft and passive. In Ireland there really is an unwavering integrity to their love for others. Theirs is a love with the power to change the world.

Our original travel plans had Teddi and me ending our trip in Rome, but with Ireland’s May 22nd election to become the first nation in the world to embrace marriage equality by popular vote, I thought Dublin was the place to be. It’s not by chance that Ireland arrived first at where we all are hopefully heading. Ireland’s history and embrace of writers, poets and their ideas has made Ireland a world leader in how we all should treat others. And no surprise, they cook really tasty food as well.

So we are looking for Irish-born cooks that show that robust compassion that makes Ireland so worthy of our respect. If this is you or someone you know, please reply to this email or come visit our website. And as a needle-in-the-haystack piece for this catalog, the art of the Equality Yes campaign is so powerful and so much a piece of galvanizing support for this issue. Both the official campaign art and the custom individual-made pieces that sprouted up across the country were remarkable and so inspiring. If any of you know and could get us an introduction to those behind this art, we would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
bill@penzeys.com

:angel:

I know I started this thread. I know I sing Penzeys praises. However, I now also buy from The Spice House. TSH is the original store, now run by Bill Penzeys' sister. You probably know the falling-out they had over spice rights, and not talking to each other for ages. Now they are talking again.

Anyway, over the last couple of years it seems Bill Penzeys has been pushing a political agenda. It doesn't matter whether or not I agree with his views, all I want to do is buy spices! I still shop there, but with some eye-rolling at times. :LOL:

I also have found that Spice House has a wider selection of spices, herbs, and seasonings - or at least it seems that way. Also, ounce for ounce, I think most of the Spice House ones are cheaper. And as much as I love Penzeys Greek Seasoning, sometimes it seems way to salty. Surprise, TSH doesn't add salt! Salt is cheap, I can add just a wee bit as I use the unsalted seasoning blend.

I like the fact that Penzeys has a smattering of stores all around the country. Spice House has just a couple, and they are mostly Chicago and north. From where we are, I can get to one of two Penzeys in under an hour. In fact, I think we're headed to one tomorrow. :)

The down side from ordering from Spice House? No free shipping. Unless you sign up for their e-mails and/or friend them on FB. They did offer free shipping on orders of $25 or more both for Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day. I ordered each time...:ermm:
I haven't ordered from Penzey's, but I had a wonderful time at TSH in Chicago a few years ago when I was in Chicago on business and had a free afternoon. Love the Vulcan salt/spice blend I got there, as well as other specialty salts, etc. The staff were really helpful and I walked out of there with a lot more than I had planned to buy (oops!). It was also so much fun that TSH in Chicago is two doors down from The Olde Oil Shoppe (another oops).

Last edited:
I like them both but I think the people that work at the Spice House in Old Town have waaaaay too much attitude. Makes me not want to shop there.

For the most part their stuff is very similar, IMO. But I like some of the stuff specific to the Spice House like the Vulcan salt that CSW mentioned.

Also, the labels for some of the blends at TSH don't list the ingredients, although the ingredients are listed on the store display. They might have changed that, though.

I live 1/2 from a Penzeys so that's where I usually go.

I got my latest Penzey's order last week. The Fox Point, Arizona Dreaming, and Greek seasoning blend were all freebies. :)

Fox Point is new, and very good! It's a blend of salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onions, and green peppercorns. It was lovely on tonight's steamed potatoes with butter. :yum:

Someone here recommended the BBQ 3000, I think it was Maelinde....? It smells fabulous and I can't wait to try it.

I love chives and don't always have fresh, and since the freeze dried shallots are so good, I thought I'd try the chives to have on hand.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Love the chives, Cheryl! I have used them in tuna salad, on cottage cheese, in potato salad, scrambled eggs - Oh, you'll find ALL sorts of uses for them.

The "Fox Point" blend is just like the "Lake Shore Drive" blend I got from The Spice House. We had it on our grilled shrimp last week and it was yummy! Next time I get a piece of fish to bake/broil I'll season some bread crumbs with it and use it as a topping.

You're right about the freeze dried chives, CG! This morning I sprinkled some in my scrambled eggs a bit before they were done, and they re-constituted very nicely. Could hardly tell the difference between the freeze dried and fresh. Very chive-y. :yum: Can't wait to try them in other things.

Andy, you might like the Arizona Dreaming southwestern blend - it's really good sprinkled over avocado. It's one of my faves and I'm never without it.

You're welcome, Andy.

In case anyone is interested....according to their webpage, they've dropped free shipping from $30 down to $20 through this Thursday, July 9th.

https://www.penzeys.com/

Last edited:
I love butter stewed potatoes, the combination of butter and potatoes are always too good. I used to cook in a different manner by steaming the cut up red potatoes in butter and then adding some herbs and spices. I usually get it from Horton Spice Mills in Canada. Among the spices, the chipotle pepper is too good with potatoes. Adding some herbs like parsley will enrich the taste.

Welcome to DC. We have a lot of residents of Canada here. As you have probably noticed, we have a large community from around the world. And it certainly makes for a very diversified base of international dishes. So sit back and peruse all the different site and pages. You are in for a fun place to be. Lots of laughs and information. :angel:

Fox Point is new, and very good! It's a blend of salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onions, and green peppercorns. It was lovely on tonight's steamed potatoes with butter. :yum:

Fox Point rocks, for sure, but it's not new. I think it was one of their first blends. I've been using it for maybe 20 years.

It's my favorite blend because it's curated. Their newer blends contain way too many ingredients for me.

Fox Point makes good salad dressing and is awesome in tuna salad.

...Fox Point is new, and very good! It's a blend of salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onions, and green peppercorns. It was lovely on tonight's steamed potatoes with butter...

Fox Point rocks, for sure, but it's not new....Fox Point makes good salad dressing and is awesome in tuna salad.
In my recent Spice House order, I got a jar of Lake Shore Drive Seasoning. It's the same blend as Fox Point; in fact, they mention exactly that in their online catalog: " This blend is known as Fox Point Seasoning in our original Milwaukee Spice House location". I don't care what they all call it, it was wonderful on our grilled shrimp a few weeks back, and mixed into plain bread crumbs to top some baked fish. Have also used it on chicken and scrambled eggs. Now I want to make potatoes so I can us it like that, Cheryl! Maybe mixed into a little Greek yogurt or sour cream to top a baked potato? :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom