1st course to go with scallop gratin entree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke

Assistant Cook
We are having a dinner party soon and want to make this for the entree:

Bay Scallop Gratin Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

But are not quite sure what to make for the first course that would go well with it. I would provide more information, but we really cannot think of anything. Its not a formal dinner but most of the attendees will be foodies and expect something of good quality.

Would really appreciate any help!

Sounds delicious :) My first thought is a crisp green salad with cucumbers and a creamy vinaigrette and crusty bread for sopping up the juices.

It looks kind of light so maybe you can go a little heavy on the appetizer. How about a savory puff pastry, rare beef or beef short ribs maybe with polenta, or maybe meatballs with an asian influence.

Great looking main course!

Could anyone recommend a good wine to go with the entree? Not sure if I should make a thread for it or not.

Could anyone recommend a good wine to go with the entree? Not sure if I should make a thread for it or not.

Sauvignon Blanc (my preference), or Chardonnay.
My recommendations: Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc or J. Lohr Chardonnay Riverstone.

We are having a dinner party soon and want to make this for the entree:

Bay Scallop Gratin Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

But are not quite sure what to make for the first course that would go well with it. I would provide more information, but we really cannot think of anything. Its not a formal dinner but most of the attendees will be foodies and expect something of good quality.

Would really appreciate any help!

A few ideas:

Saffron Mussels (I use 3 lbs mussels and 2 Tbsp butter):
Saffron mussels - Chatelaine

Stuffed Mushrooms with Bacon and Garlic (haven't tried this yet, but it's from a very reliable source/excellent cook):
Eat@ Recipe Swap & Recipes :

This would be good if you're going to use the grill:
Tuscan-Style Grilled Vegetables with Aioli
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/784

For a salad, I would do a simple green salad with a vinaigrette.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom