Appetizer help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stuffed grape leaves are traditionally served with an egg-lemon sauce called avgolemono. Here's a recipe: Stuffed Grape Leaves in Egg-Lemon Sauce - Dolmathes Avgolemono

Also, by yogurt sauce, do you mean tzatziki? I think it would go great with your appetizers. I posted a recipe here some time ago.

Yes - that's what I had in mind. The egg/lemon sauce sounds great but I have some concern about spoilage. It looks like it all gets fully cooked - but it will have to be served outside in 100 degree weather and may sit there for an hour or more. Thoughts about this?

Yes - that's what I had in mind. The egg/lemon sauce sounds great but I have some concern about spoilage. It looks like it all gets fully cooked - but it will have to be served outside in 100 degree weather and may sit there for an hour or more. Thoughts about this?

I think it will be fine. It's fully cooked and the lemon juice will help preserve it. FDA guidelines say that cooked food containing eggs can be held at room temp for up to two hours. After that, refrigerate it.

Stuffed Grape Leaves bought from stores can sometimes taste bland. I hope yours will have some extra zing, perhaps include some roasted garlic puree inside? Or tiny little flecks of anchovies? Or some strips of roasted capsicum?

As for the egg-lemon sauce, I am not convinced that the eggs are fully cooked, because if you look at the recipe, it keeps on emphasizing "low heat" and "take it off the heat". The sauce certainly should not simmer, otherwise you'd have scrambled eggs! Hmm...perhaps substitute an Agrumato Lemon Oil (olives and lemons pressed together) with a few flakes of sea salt added, instead of the egg-lemon sauce?

Blanch a bunch of asparagus and plunge into ice water. Use two spears and wrap in salumi or prosciutto and grate some parm over each bundle. Make a dressing of lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, anchovy paste, S&P and olive oil. Will last a long time in the heat.

Your menu sounds awesome and well composed!!

Next time ill fly out and help you with the summer rolls, which can be warm weather stunner apps.

But I love what you've put together !!!

:yum: I'm flying out with Jennyema.....

Last edited:
:yum: I'm flying out with Jennyema.....

I'm just going to drive over...

I saw a neat one, baguette slices toasted (could do ahead of time), marinara spread on top with a slice of pepperoni, chopped chives and shredded parm-reg on top. The pepperoni was curled so they looked great. May be too time consuming.

Last edited:
I make a mini Philly cheese steak, or chicken. take the heat um up rolls that come in an aluminum pan. take the rolls out and cut the entire pan in half like a cake layer. Cook Steak-Um or finely diced rotissorie chicken and mix with sauted onion, mushroom, bell pepper or whatever you want. Layer the bottom of the cut rolls with Jack cheese place on meat and veggies, more cheese then the top layer of rolls. Bake until the cheese is melted. Cut up into bite site (size of the rolls) and serve. You can make them ahead and pop into the oven for a few minutes and serve.

I make a mini Philly cheese steak, or chicken. take the heat um up rolls that come in an aluminum pan. take the rolls out and cut the entire pan in half like a cake layer. Cook Steak-Um or finely diced rotissorie chicken and mix with sauted onion, mushroom, bell pepper or whatever you want. Layer the bottom of the cut rolls with Jack cheese place on meat and veggies, more cheese then the top layer of rolls. Bake until the cheese is melted. Cut up into bite site (size of the rolls) and serve. You can make them ahead and pop into the oven for a few minutes and serve.
I like this idea!
Gonna try it very soon....this would be great for the upcoming football gatherings!
Thanks for the idea!

Walmart has these nifty containers with freezer inserts so that you can take cold foods to picnics, etc. Otherwise, you could set the dip up on an ice pack (I get mine from my vet--vaccines are packaged in ice packs when they are shipped).

Cook something on the grill, keep the heat outside. (Make sure you have shade to stand in while cooking.) Maybe something like satay or shish-ka-bobs. Prepare the skewers in advance, keep them refrigerated until it's time to cook them. Depending on quantity you might set the oven on warm and not heat up the inside of the trailer too much.

Janet, I LOVE your menu! I'm drooling just thinking about it. Will you post pix if you think of it?

Stuffed Grape Leaves bought from stores can sometimes taste bland. I hope yours will have some extra zing, perhaps include some roasted garlic puree inside? Or tiny little flecks of anchovies? Or some strips of roasted capsicum?

I agree about store bought and bland and it's the reason I make them from scratch - that and cost ;)

Mine typical recipe includes toasted chopped pine nuts or almonds, a little red pepper, cracked black pepper, onion, dill, mint, fresh garlic, tinyu pinch of cinnamon, some minced caper along with the rice and lemon, etc. There's a local winery that sells brined organic leaves and they are much fresher tasting than the jarred variety. I also add some chopped tomatoes to the cooking liquid for a little more punch. All in all, it works out pretty well.

As for the egg-lemon sauce, I am not convinced that the eggs are fully cooked, because if you look at the recipe, it keeps on emphasizing "low heat" and "take it off the heat". The sauce certainly should not simmer, otherwise you'd have scrambled eggs! Hmm...perhaps substitute an Agrumato Lemon Oil (olives and lemons pressed together) with a few flakes of sea salt added, instead of the egg-lemon sauce?

Agree here.... I'm just not really sure about the eggs; it makes me nervous and so I'm going to use an oil, lemon dressing.

If you're all coming along to the bash, maybe one of you can come a day early to help roll and skewer?

I agree about store bought and bland and it's the reason I make them from scratch - that and cost ;)

Mine typical recipe includes toasted chopped pine nuts or almonds, a little red pepper, cracked black pepper, onion, dill, mint, fresh garlic, tinyu pinch of cinnamon, some minced caper along with the rice and lemon, etc. There's a local winery that sells brined organic leaves and they are much fresher tasting than the jarred variety. I also add some chopped tomatoes to the cooking liquid for a little more punch. All in all, it works out pretty well.

Agree here.... I'm just not really sure about the eggs; it makes me nervous and so I'm going to use an oil, lemon dressing.

If you're all coming along to the bash, maybe one of you can come a day early to help roll and skewer?
Have you asked if anyone has a nut allergy? I'm allergic to pine nuts and never thought about them being in stuffed grape leaves. I put some currants in mine when I'm mixing up the filling.

Have you asked if anyone has a nut allergy? I'm allergic to pine nuts and never thought about them being in stuffed grape leaves. I put some currants in mine when I'm mixing up the filling.

Interesting and valid point. One of my inlaws is Lebanese and this is how she makes them so you might think about asking, but your point is taken. I LOVE the idea of currents and have actually had some Dolmades that had dried apricot
in them - they were awesome.

Interesting and valid point. One of my inlaws is Lebanese and this is how she makes them so you might think about asking, but your point is taken. I LOVE the idea of currents and have actually had some Dolmades that had dried apricot
in them - they were awesome.
I rarely eat out because of my allergy (I avoid Italian restaurants because pesto with pine nuts is often prepared in the kitchen and I am concerned about cross-contamination). Can't buy nuts in bulk where pine nuts are sold, either. I can credit this to why my cooking includes so many things made in my kitchen. I can't remember the last time I ate dolmades that I didn't make. I'll have to try dried apricot next time I make them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom