How do I make non-dairy Chicken Tikka curry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bCrash

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,
I'm a high school student from Wisconsin who likes to cook a lot, and I wanted to make Chicken Tikka Masala for my family, using one of Jamie Oliver's recipes (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-tikka-masala/);

However, one of my brothers is allergic to all dairy products, meaning I cannot use yoghurt to make this curry, an essential ingredient for the recipe.
I don't want him to be left out, but I also don't want to equivocate and make a bad tasting curry.

How can I replace the yoghurt to make a delicious, yet dairy-free Chicken Tikka?
Maybe another recipe would suit better? :rolleyes:

Hi, bCrash. Welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

I would try replacing the yogurt with coconut milk. The flavor will be slightly different but with the other strong flavors in the recipe, it should work well. Good luck.

Hi, bCrash. Welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

I would try replacing the yogurt with coconut milk. The flavor will be slightly different but with the other strong flavors in the recipe, it should work well. Good luck.

I normally agree with you :)

But I think coconut milk would taste really wrong in chicken tikka masala.

I cooked for a dairy allergic person for 15 years and I would suggest soy yogurt. Its not that bad.

They make soy-based alternatives for most dairy products. They should be easy to find in Madison.

I normally agree with you :)

Aww, thank you! :)

But I think coconut milk would taste really wrong in chicken tikka masala.

I cooked for a dairy allergic person for 15 years and I would suggest soy yogurt. Its not that bad.

They make soy-based alternatives for most dairy products. They should be easy to find in Madison.

I'll take your word for it. I've only had tikka masala a couple of times, in Indian restaurants. I've never made it.

I don't think I've ever had chicken tikka masala made with coconut milk. Just cream.

The few times I've made it I used half and half.

emulsify chicken broth with an oil based product, vegetable oil etc. then add to the chicken tikka masala. gives it better flavor.

Back
Top Bottom