Menu planning for love's sake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I married my first husband, being a pro chef, I was nervous about cooking for him. But he was really good. If I made something that was close to inedible, he would tell me where I went wrong. Otherwise he would eat anything I put in front of him.

My second husband thought I was some sort of angel sent to feed him. His first wife only cooked from the freezer. TV dinners, pot pies, etc. No wonder he loved eating in the mess hall. (He was in the service at the time.) He told me one day he hated powdered eggs. It just so happened that a neighbor gave me a bag, and I used it for all my coating recipes. You know, flour, egg, breadcrumbs. I never told, he never knew. Then one day I was wondering just what did powdered eggs taste like. So I made myself just enough scrambled eggs equal to one egg according to directions. I put butter on them and made them with milk instead of the water called for. Then hubby came in and thought I had made it for him. So I let him eat it. He thought it was wonderful. The next day I told him the truth. He changed his mind about powdered eggs. :angel:

DH likes liver and onions. I can't swallow liver. Texture thing it kind of stuck in my throat going down and I have to "get rid of it" fast. That's the only thing he likes that I refuse to cook. When we married he hated anything with pepper. Black, green, red, yellow was a no-go. Anything spicy hot was off the table also. He's gotten better. I can use them in recipes if they are diced fine enough that they get the flavor without the chunks. He loves onions. I can tolerate them but often raw onions upset my stomach. I love mushrooms, he can't stand them. I can sneak Campbell's cream of mushroom soup into some recipes. I'll sometimes make sauteed onions in one pan and sauteed mushrooms in another for on top of steaks and burgers. In general, he eats what I cook now. There's rarely a time when I cook different meals for us.

He get beans on toast and so does my daughter and I eat tuna salad, that happens from time to time. And sometimes the other ways around, me and little one eats something we like and he gets a different meal. Since I am so intolerant to things that are main in many lovely dishes, I tend to cook differently for me and them most of the time.

I cook for my gf all of the time. I do pretty much all of the cooking and she knows I enjoy it. Sometimes I can't decide what to make so she suggests things that she likes, so I oblige, happily..I'll eat just about anything so, I don't mind eating what she wants from time to time even though it's not something I would ever make for myself...

My exhusband was stubborn eater, any thing I cooked except when we had guest sucked.. didnt matter if I made to his wish. So my current has no say in how food is prepared , he gets to eat what I know he will like or might like.

We accommodate differences in our partners in many different areas. Cooking is just one of them.

I wish I could make what I want. Wife has a spinal problem and can't cook -- still recuperating.

This is the menu I'd have if it were up to me:

Monday: soup (cooked all day in Crock-Pot)
Tuesday: leftover soup
Wednesday: grilled cheese, salad or a burrito and spanish rice
Thurday: leftover soup (last of it)
Friday: TV dinners
Saturday: BBQ on the charcoal grille
Sunday: roast chicken & veggies or a pot roast

But she wants a full meal every night -- a protein, a starch, a side, bread, dessert. Ugh. :ohmy: Wife says soup 3 nights a week smacks of an Oliver Twist/19th century English workhouse.

Last edited:
I wish I could make what I want. Wife has a spinal problem and can't cook -- still recuperating.

This is the menu I'd have if it were up to me:

Monday: soup (cooked all day in Crock-Pot)
Tuesday: leftover soup
Wednesday: grilled cheese, salad or a burrito and spanish rice
Thurday: leftover soup (last of it)
Friday: TV dinners
Saturday: BBQ on the charcoal grille
Sunday: roast chicken & veggies or a pot roast

But she wants a full meal every night -- a protein, a starch, a side, bread, dessert. Ugh. :ohmy: Wife says soup 3 nights a week smacks of an Oliver Twist/19th century English workhouse.

jd, I'm sorry things are so difficult for you. How does she feel about casseroles that include a protein, starch and veggies? This could be a way to repurpose leftovers like roast chicken or pot roast and the vegetables. I'm sure we can come up with other ideas to make the menu a little easier for you.

Here's an example:

Night 1: Roast chicken, rice and gravy, a vegetable, and rolls. Make extra rice for later in the week.

Night 2: casserole with 2 cups of the chicken (save some for night 3), leftover rice, and a new set of vegetables, with rolls. Could add taco seasoning to add a different flavor. Top it with cheese. Cut extra vegetables while you're at it, to use in soup the next day.

Night 3: soup with the last of the chicken, the cut vegetables, and noodles. You can vary the flavors from one week to the next - Greek, Italian, Thai, etc.

Night 4: BBQ on the grill, with grilled vegetables - enough meat and vegetables to have leftovers. Buy potato salad from the store.

Night 5: tacos or burritos or pizza with the leftover meat and vegetables from the day before.

Night 6: TV dinners or takeout.

I hope this helps.

Hi jd....I too am sorry that your beloved has mobility problems and isn't able to participate in meal preps, but still wants to eat well. GG has posted some great ideas.

Just to add another suggestion or two - since you have a crock pot, a pork shoulder roast goes a long way. You could slow cook it, shred it, and repurpose it for many meals. Pulled pork sandwiches on French rolls with a green salad, or cole slaw. Tacos.....pulled or chopped pork on either corn or flour tortillas with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese. You could also add that shredded or chopped pork with some cream of mushroom soup and pasta, call it a stroganoff, and add a side of veggies.

As far as desserts, if she has to have one every night...there's always Betty Crocker or Pillsbury boxed brownie mixes....make a batch, drizzle choc syrup over a couple one night, or a side of vanilla ice cream another, and call it good. You're doing the best you can. :chef:

Last edited:
DH eats everything I put in front of him (he's not stupid). ;)

But I'm starting to get annoyed by his "helping".

Oh well... first world problems.

GG, Cheryl - gosh golly gee whiz... I so admire & wish I had your menu skills! I am absolutely miserable at it. I know it sounds silly but no matter what I say or do I suddenly change everything half way thru and put everything out of whack. I always look at my friends in wonder when they say they've made something for one night and plan to have the rest two nights later as....

I am still doing my menus the same way as I did in August but now with no microwave oven. The left over have a very short turn around. They are lunch next day, they have to be.

GG, Cheryl - gosh golly gee whiz... I so admire & wish I had your menu skills! I am absolutely miserable at it. I know it sounds silly but no matter what I say or do I suddenly change everything half way thru and put everything out of whack. I always look at my friends in wonder when they say they've made something for one night and plan to have the rest two nights later as....

Thanks. We've had many questions about how to use leftovers over the years. Planned leftovers reduce both food waste and time and effort spent cooking.

That's a habit you can change if you want to :)

I plan leftovers on a regular basis to save myself time in the kitchen. A favorite for leftover chicken is to make quesadillas then chicken (salad) sandwiches.

Unless I get leftovers right into the freezer, they will disappear as lunches before I can plan them for another dinner.
Hardly anything goes to waste here.

Last edited:
jd, I'm sorry things are so difficult for you. How does she feel about casseroles that include a protein, starch and veggies? This could be a way to repurpose leftovers like roast chicken or pot roast and the vegetables. I'm sure we can come up with other ideas to make the menu a little easier for you.

Here's an example:

Night 1: Roast chicken, rice and gravy, a vegetable, and rolls. Make extra rice for later in the week.

Night 6: TV dinners or takeout.

I hope this helps.

Wow, thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I'll write those down on the dry erase board.

Also the other suggestions by other people are great, too.

I don't plan leftovers, they plan me. I can't cook for just two people. Stuff just grows out of the pot.

Dawg, it took me a long time to realize that the troops (cooking for an army) were out on their own maneuvers and were not coming back for a daily meal.

So I finally learn to cook for one, and now my appetite has decreased. I just can't cook for only one without leftovers. Chicken salad for a half person?

1 small chicken leg
a dab of mayo
about an inch or two of finely diced celery
a thick slice of finely diced onion
S&P

See what I mean?

I no longer buy a bag of onions. Two very large loose ones lasts me for a whole month. I no longer buy items by the bag. The loose produce is now where I shop. Four potatoes often last me for more than a month. Spike and I now split and share a stalk of celery. He takes the bigger half with more ribs.

Back
Top Bottom