Menu planning for love's sake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remember that left overs only safe to eat for 3 days in the fridge according to both American and Swedish health sites.

Rice is said 4- 6 days in USA but in Sweden only 3 and in warm weather 2, because of nasty bacteria.

It's possible to freeze leftovers for later in the week. Rice in particular thaws very quickly.

I don't see what the outside temperature has to do with it if the rice is kept refrigerated.

GotGarlic: aparently the bug is more active in hot weather or something like that.
Yes, freezing is the best option, but a lot of people dont think of it.

GotGarlic: aparently the bug is more active in hot weather or something like that.

Bacteria grow faster when the temperature *where they are* is between 41 and 140 degrees F. If they're in the fridge, and it's set properly below 40 degrees, it doesn't matter what the outside temperature is.

Yes, freezing is the best option, but a lot of people dont think of it.

That's why I'm mentioning it :)

Thanks so much for the reminder, ladies. I need to freeze the leftover rice from our last Chinese takeout.

It's often a compromise. I make things I'm not crazy about to please my wife. But there are things I really don't like, and things she doesn't like at all. If she doesn't like it at all, I either wait until she visits her sister to make it for myself, or I order it in restaurants. If I really dislike it, I prepare it for her to reheat when I'm out of town or she orders it in restaurants.
I am not cooking for myself these day. I cook things my Mom can eat either with her fingers or easily stab with her fork. She doesn't digest tomatoes, so I don't cook any tomato-based dishes for her. However, my Dad loves red gravy, so I will make that for him. Since I don't eat pasta, when I make a pasta-based dish, that is for him. Mom isn't crazy about pasta, either. Her meals are usually a protein, veggie, and fruit, maybe some garlic toast. I feel as if I am a short-order cook these days. The things you do for love.

I am not cooking for myself these day. I cook things my Mom can eat either with her fingers or easily stab with her fork. She doesn't digest tomatoes, so I don't cook any tomato-based dishes for her. However, my Dad loves red gravy, so I will make that for him. Since I don't eat pasta, when I make a pasta-based dish, that is for him. Mom isn't crazy about pasta, either. Her meals are usually a protein, veggie, and fruit, maybe some garlic toast. I feel as if I am a short-order cook these days. The things you do for love.

Awww. CWS, sending you many hugs! Wishing I could still cook for my parents.

In some ways, I'm fortunate. I live alone so I can make whatever I want for myself. There are no picky eaters in this house.

However, there are times I really do miss cooking for someone else. Especially when I feel like I've made something good and there's no one around to share it with. :neutral:

In some ways, I'm fortunate. I live alone so I can make whatever I want for myself. There are no picky eaters in this house.

However, there are times I really do miss cooking for someone else. Especially when I feel like I've made something good and there's no one around to share it with. :neutral:

We have a recently divorced neighbor who is the beneficiary of my leftovers. He seems to enjoy them, and has graciously allowed us to use his freezer after ours broke.

This love thing was invented by russians, so they would not have to pay for you know what.
Ok, jokes aside, having large family with most of them picky eaters, my love to them turns my house into a restaurant. This doesn't like this and that doesn't like that. I make all kind of things to keep them happy.
I don't mind. :chef:

I have a family of picky eaters. My two daughters each have dislikes that the other likes, my 10 year old grandson is a picky eater as are most kids that age and my SIL takes the cake! He dislikes most things that make it difficult to cook most dishes. Hates, onions, mushrooms, peppers, olives, etc. etc.

For family dinners I just instruct them to bring a veggie or side their family will eat. This year, SO's sister and BIL are joining us and she's another picky eater. But I love to cook for the holidays when the menu is fixed so it's all good.

Husband is bit picky but I can work around it, he used to be even more picky when he moved here but my cooking has made him love stuff. My daughter is in that stage where she tries to be picky but since doesnt let her, it doesnt form a habit. So today and yesterday she did have peppers, she didnt know nor asked and ate.
She doesnt like onion or cabbage but will eat onion and cabbage pirogis.

So as mum I just smile and nod and fed her good food.

Ones or twice a month I go home to a chef and we cook what ever we want to eat, how ever it maybe and that no one likes here at home. Best part is what my husband loves, this guy dislike and the opposite true to, so I get to cook and eat until I am happy smiling.

We are now menu planning new year, it going be fun. Christmas is already set so that is no worry, same thing as last year.

I have a family of picky eaters. My two daughters each have dislikes that the other likes, my 10 year old grandson is a picky eater as are most kids that age and my SIL takes the cake! He dislikes most things that make it difficult to cook most dishes. Hates, onions, mushrooms, peppers, olives, etc. etc.

For family dinners I just instruct them to bring a veggie or side their family will eat. This year, SO's sister and BIL are joining us and she's another picky eater. But I love to cook for the holidays when the menu is fixed so it's all good.

Andy, I have to really hand it to you with those family dinners of picky eaters. You are much more tolerant than I. Your SIL sounds particularly unreasonable and I'd ignore him myself, but that's just me. ;)
There aren't many things I dislike but as a guest, I can't imagine making an issue of what I won't eat. That's insulting and rude in my opinion.

Last edited:
Andy, I have to really hand it to you with those family dinners of picky eaters. You are much more tolerant than I. Your SIL sounds particularly unreasonable and I'd ignore him myself, but that's just me. ;)
There aren't many things I dislike but as a guest, I can't imagine making an issue of what I won't eat. That's insulting and rude in my opinion.

Kayelle, I hear you but he's family and he never is nasty about it. As a matter of fact, my daughter is the one who reminds me that he doesn't like something. On those occasions when one of his dislikes makes it onto his plate, he just quietly pushes it aside and doesn't say anything.

He's a good guy, he's family and he's my guest. Three excellent reasons to accommodate his quirks. My family accommodates my quirks. They make book on how close I'll actually come to the advertised meal time.

I think perhaps what CakePoet was implying is that although people are usually pretty good about getting their food stored quickly and properly - perhaps in the summer or warmer times it might have been left out longer than it should have. Once the bacteria "starts" the 40 degrees is not going to kill it, just let it sleep. Bring it out to the counter - get around to reheating it - again may take longer than anticipated and let it "grow" a lttle more. yadda yadda yadda - think you catch my drift? ;)

It's a common warning for people to be extra careful with food safety during the warmer months.

Last edited:

My thoughts exactly, Steve. I've lived alone for quite some time now and enjoy the freedom of making what I want when I want it, but every now and then it would be nice to share a dish that I'm particularly proud of. :chef::)

I think perhaps what CakePoet was implying is that although people are usually pretty good about getting their food stored quickly and properly - perhaps in the summer or warmer times it might have been left out longer than it should have.

Well, if she was "implying" something like that, it wasn't clear. I certainly got no such impression.

My thoughts exactly, Steve. I've lived alone for quite some time now and enjoy the freedom of making what I want when I want it, but every now and then it would be nice to share a dish that I'm particularly proud of. :chef::)

I still have Pirate living with me. Tonight, we both got into the kitchen. He wanted to learn how to make my meatloaf. It was an enjoyable time for both of us. Once he got it into the oven, setting the timer, etc. I stepped out. The rest was up to him. When he thought it was done, I got my supper served to me. We both enjoy that time spent together. But......

As a rule, I am not too fond of what he cooks for himself. Hot sauce if not hot pepper flakes. Octopus, squid. I don't care at all for canned mushrooms. Fresh only for me. He uses both. I am the picky eater in this house. I prefer my food plain. And cooked from scratch. I don't care very much for canned items. Typical New Englander. But as a guest in someone's home, or being treated to a meal at a restaurant, I keep my mouth shut and leave what I don't like on my plate. And please, do not offer me a mouthful of what you are eating. If it was a food I enjoyed, I would have it on my plate already.

Before Pirate came here, there were many times I would want to cook a dish I really enjoyed, but no one to share it with. So I wouldn't make it. It is really hard to make a clam chowder for one. Or Mac and Cheese. Stews and soups. Unless I get a request, I don't even think of desserts. Being a diabetic, I stay away from making any. Not even cookies. And I so do miss cooking for the holidays. Now I go to their homes instead. But always with a requested dish in tow. Along with a dessert. This year it will be a big bowl of stuffing and an apple pie. I am going to my daughter's home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom