"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 3,963
O good. I was afraid I am the only messy eater in the universe.

I like your take on putting together a quesadilla. It is an art-form.


I have seen people served quesadillas in bars and they seem to manage ok even with pitchers of beer and much laughter. So there must be a trick to eating these without too much fuss. Or bibs. And you know if I'm watching football, I will be waving my arms and not paying attention to what I am doing. The exMrs would have a conniption if I spilled on her rugs. And I'm not sure salsa is good for her dog to lick though it would think whatever is fair game with the 5 second rule.


Chi'Chi's tortillas? Like the restaurant? They went out of business here a long time ago, sigh. They used to make the best Marg's and some kind of soft corn cake side dish. I just googled. Their tortillas are avail at most grocers here. I would like to try some half/ half tortillas.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
O good. I was afraid I am the only messy eater in the universe.

I like your take on putting together a quesadilla. It is an art-form.


I have seen people served quesadillas in bars and they seem to manage ok even with pitchers of beer and much laughter. So there must be a trick to eating these without too much fuss. Or bibs. And you know if I'm watching football, I will be waving my arms and not paying attention to what I am doing. The exMrs would have a conniption if I spilled on her rugs. And I'm not sure salsa is good for her dog to lick though it would think whatever is fair game with the 5 second rule.


Chi'Chi's tortillas? Like the restaurant? They went out of business here a long time ago, sigh. They used to make the best Marg's and some kind of soft corn cake side dish. I just googled. Their tortillas are avail at most grocers here. I would like to try some half/ half tortillas.
Thank you for acknowledging my artistry.

For TBG (The Big Game), if I was going to make quesadillas, I'd use the smallest tortillas and fold them in half.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
For TBG (The Big Game), if I was going to make quesadillas, I'd use the smallest tortillas and fold them in half.
That's probably wise.

Kathleen asked a simple question. And if she follows much of this train of thought, Frank may never taste a good quesadilla, the way they are meant to be eaten. I assure I can eat and behave as an adult. It's a struggle. I have successfully served sticky chix wings and ribs at parties without mishap. I prefer to not eat bowls of chili resting on my lap, too much geometric distance between bowl and mouth.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post

Afterwhile the little bowls are not pretty but you are happy.

Now, if I were serving this in the company of others, I would mind my manners a little better. We could each have our own spoon, I guess.

I see Andy is making Chicken Quesadillas for dinner tonight. Maybe he has a different take on making these.
My superbowl menu has a plan B, I think. Refried beans.......guac.....salsa.......mmmm.
__________________


~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Thank you for that website! They have tons of ideas. Quesadillas sound terrific and I never thought of them....What do you fill them with?
We will be celebrating our 9er's of course and making quesadillas with pulled pork we cook in the slowcooker with cumin, onion,garlic, chili powder then the cheese some Mexican crema, and a good melting cheese I'm thinking Monterey jack with hot peppers in it. maybe some chili and cilantro and all that good stuff. Dessert a chocolate cake with instant pudding in it topped with either ice cream or whipped cream..finger foods not sure yet.
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #26
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
With playoffs coming down to the final four, I'm pondering what we will have for the Superbowl spread this year.

I keep wanting to make something very different for me. One of the ideas I have was to make these pork belly sliders. They sound intriguing and totally yummy. If I make then, I want nibbles, a side, and a dessert to round it out. Ideas would be welcomed here! I want finger-foods.

What are you considering to make for your Superbowl Spread?
I make *sandwiches with baguettes (French/Italian bread), pull out some of the bread, & cut them into smaller portions.

*Sandwich filling ideas:
Tri-tip sandwiches
Philly cheese meatball subs (sauteed onions & green bell peppers w/ provolone cheese)
French Dip
Italian Beef
Pulled Pork
Sausage, peppers & onions

Sides:
Cold red potato salad w/ dill, and cold mac or tortellini salad.

Nibbles:
Shrimp wrapped in bacon
Guacamole w/ crab
Jalapeno poppers

Dessert:
Brownies or Brownie ice cream sandwiches
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #27
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
O good. I was afraid I am the only messy eater in the universe.

I like your take on putting together a quesadilla. It is an art-form.


I have seen people served quesadillas in bars and they seem to manage ok even with pitchers of beer and much laughter. So there must be a trick to eating these without too much fuss. Or bibs. And you know if I'm watching football, I will be waving my arms and not paying attention to what I am doing. The exMrs would have a conniption if I spilled on her rugs. And I'm not sure salsa is good for her dog to lick though it would think whatever is fair game with the 5 second rule.


Chi'Chi's tortillas? Like the restaurant? They went out of business here a long time ago, sigh. They used to make the best Marg's and some kind of soft corn cake side dish. I just googled. Their tortillas are avail at most grocers here. I would like to try some half/ half tortillas.
You reminded me of Chi-Chi's deep fried ice cream served on a tortilla. There are some copycat recipes on the web.

Re the quesadillas, I like mine with apples or pears, gouda, walnuts & green onions.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #28
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I make *sandwiches with baguettes (French/Italian bread), pull out some of the bread, & cut them into smaller portions.
It all sounds delicious, Cerise! The brownie ice cream sandwiches sound amazing!
__________________


~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Well, my Packers were clobbered last weekend, so I will probably root for the 49ers now. They and Green Bay have a lot of shared history. If the Niners are knocked out, then I won't root for any team. I'll still watch, though.

Food-wise, we don't do a lot for SB Sunday, regardless of who's playing. It will probably be a Chili and Beer night.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #30
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
It all sounds delicious, Cerise! The brownie ice cream sandwiches sound amazing!
You're welcome. Another New Year's resolution bites the dust. LOL Don't look. ;-)

brownie ice cream sandwiches] - Bing Images
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #31
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
You're welcome. Another New Year's resolution bites the dust. LOL Don't look. ;-)

brownie ice cream sandwiches] - Bing Images
Totally worth it!!!!
__________________


~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #32
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,569
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Well, my Packers were clobbered last weekend, so I will probably root for the 49ers now. They and Green Bay have a lot of shared history. If the Niners are knocked out, then I won't root for any team. I'll still watch, though.

Food-wise, we don't do a lot for SB Sunday, regardless of who's playing. It will probably be a Chili and Beer night.

But...what KIND of chili.....or beer? Details wanted!
__________________


~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #33
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,428
Rumakiiiiii---that's what has my mouth watering and it's only 7:00 in the morning!!!

rumaki is bacon-wrapped chicken livers/water chestnuts, variously marinated in soy and terrriaki sauces, ginger paste. bacon slathered with dijon mustard, brown sugar....there are a gazillion recipes for these rumaki online. and these days, anything wrapped in bacon and secured with a toothpick can pass for rumaki. like scallops, of course. but reading about the chicken livers this morning really got my taste buds dancing, add Bacon and wc crunch to that, and i can scarcely wait for superbowl sunday to get here...(go ravens).
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
What are you considering to make for your Superbowl Spread?
I don't really have a spread anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't eat all day
I'll be having the usual 3-4 different kinds of crackers and cheeses. Some sliced pepperoni when I really feel like stacking the cracker, probably Triscuit, Swiss and pepperoni nuked until warm... The usual hot dip; Layers of cream cheese, Hormel's chili W/O beans, cheddar cheese and jalapenos nuked until melted and served with Tostitos... I think I'll make a big pot of chili Sunday, too, but I'm not sure I will have any. Well, probably a *small* cup I may even try my hand at that spinach dip that is served in the bread. I'm sure that would be OK with crackeres.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #35
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
Rumakiiiiii---that's what has my mouth watering and it's only 7:00 in the morning!!!

rumaki is bacon-wrapped chicken livers/water chestnuts, variously marinated in soy and terrriaki sauces, ginger paste. bacon slathered with dijon mustard, brown sugar....there are a gazillion recipes for these rumaki online. and these days, anything wrapped in bacon and secured with a toothpick can pass for rumaki. like scallops, of course. but reading about the chicken livers this morning really got my taste buds dancing, add Bacon and wc crunch to that, and i can scarcely wait for superbowl sunday to get here...(go ravens).
the above sketchily-described rumaki, was meant only as a suggestion, possibly to be googled by you if bacon and chicken livers grab your interest as they did mine early this morn. i only wanted to add that making rumaki is a big job, though reportedly worth the time and trouble.
here is a truly quick and easy hors doeuvres (sp?) on a toothpick--with or without crackers: slices of smoked sausage (polish is fine), chunks of crispy tart-sweet apple, and chunks of cheddar, swiss or other solid cheese. no muss no fuss, simply spear and eat...(mmm, go great with football)
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #36
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
the above sketchily-described rumaki,

It had bacon in it.. good enough for me.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #37
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,569
I think I've settled on making Chicken-Sausage gumbo and mini-Po'Boys for Superbowl Sunday. Banana Pudding for dessert.

It just sounds right.
__________________


~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #38
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 3,963
Yea. Menus are starting to look good. So far we are shaping up to have --

devilled eggs
chicken wings - probably baked, the way the weather is here,
Urban Onion dip, like ranch, w/ dill & beau monde seasoning.
sloppy joes - Jr's request
some kind of chip called "scoopers", again Jr's req, he must like dip
Ghiradelli brownie mix
not sure the name, pickle in the middle, slather deli ham or salami slices w/ cream cheese and wrap around a pickle. Chill, slice, eat.
Ro-tel/ queso dip, SIL bringing...

More, but others are bringing.

Not sure when the food vs the game begins, sooner than later I hope
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #39
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,772
nana puddin!!!
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,016
An idea from Jeff Foxworthy if you need more cooler space:




Name:   image-1899734636.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  32.0 KB
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.