Thanksgiving Dinner - Your Menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn't Marion Berry the Mayor of Washington DC who was infamous for using cocaine in office? What's in that pie Princess?

I just googled Marionberry pie and came up with a Martha Stewart recipe. Maybe they met in prison and she shared the recipe.

I meant Martha met up with Marion in prison, not PF!!

Last edited:
My mom wants us to have the Gerson diet dinner for Thanksgiving this year. I'm still going to make my sweet potato casserole, so that I will have something to eat. Don't even ask me what the Gerson Diet is..... I don't want to talk about it. The salad might be good. My mom is on this weird food idea - the gerson diet, and raw foodist, juicer, and she started off being a vegetarian. (Mom, I hope you aren't reading this!)

I'm looking forward to my other side of the family. My step-mom makes a really good Brussels Sprout dish. I'm making corn bread muffins. First time. But I'm worried about them getting stale on the ride over to Dayton OH. (We live in Columbus). Any ideas on how to keep them fresh? I have those plastic containers. I don't mind cooking them, but they are better right out of the oven. I made some ahead of time as a test, and yes they get stale quickly. I'm using Jiffy mix. I've never made anything for this side of the family before, I just never though to bring anything. Last year I found a good recipe for sweet potato casserole, and I tried making it, and now its kind of a tradition.

Just this evening I found out that there will be at least 7 here for Thanksgiving dinner (possibly 8-9). I'm really excited I love having a lots of people for Thanksgiving. We usually extend an invite to friends, but many go out of town but this year our closest ones are staying in town and they are coming here!

Woo Hoo, I get to cook up a storm!

Ok; What's a million dollar pie? I've heard of and made many a pie. But that's one I've never heard of. And if there is any one thing true in this universe, it's that if I've never tried it before (concerning foods), then I want to, except for a few that I've talked about before.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It consist of cool whip, pineapples, walnuts, eagle brand milk....hmmm and some add coconut but my husband doesn't like coconut. I don't like it, lol. It's something that he has had every holiday growing up and I told him I'd make it for him.

I'm not a big cool whip fan so this pie isn't for me...lol.

Well for good or ill, we had our Thanksgiving yesterday. Mrs Hoot has to work on Thanksgiving Day....That topic is another discussion....We had a fairly traditional menu. I did make Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish. I liked it as did my DIL. Everyone else refused to try it or commented that it was "interesting".
In addition to the turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, butterbeans, etc., I made Oysters Rockefeller which was a big hit. All in all, it was a success.

...I did make Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish. I liked it as did my DIL. Everyone else refused to try it or commented that it was "interesting"...

I used to make a cranberry relish but everyone wanted the canned stuff so I stopped making it.

I love the wiggly jiggly stuff from the can! But now I make a cranberry pear sauce that I really like and has been a hit so far, so we have that.

I like whole berry cranberry sauce, Shrek likes the jellied. Thus, for the two of us, two cans open.

I experimented with a bag of whole cranberries, fresh squeezed orange juice, water and sugar in the CP. Cooked it overnight and most of the next day on low. The berries didn't burst, so I smushed them with a potato masher. Turned out really good! Next time, I think I'll cook it on high for awhile, so the berries would be more likely to burst.

When we got back from FL I called my SIL to see what was shakin' for Turkey Day. Um, no turkey??? :ohmy: They couldn't hold off and had their turkey while we were gone so she decided to make breaded pork chops. We love them, I don't make them often - so we'll break with tradition (sorry Tevye). At least now I can defrost the turkey breast I bought a while back :yum:

I'll bring a couple sides (Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushroom casserole and "volcano" potatoes) and pumpkin pie. Maybe a small apple galette. I'll also bring a dish of homemade cranberry relish if I can find a certain recipe for one I've made before. It includes port wine as the cooking liquid. Oh So Good! Better go and do a recipe hunt now...

My family like both the canned cranberry sauce and the homemade.

I make an uncooked cranberry relish with fresh cranberries, tangerine, chopped pecans and honey.

My Thanksgiving menu for 4

:ohmy:First time cooking Thanksgiving EVER. We alway go out. But here it is.

2 Appetizers
· Baked Brie - Mixed crackers
· Crostini with herbed cream cheese spread

Main Course
· Turkey Breast - Brine - seasoning pending

2 Sides
· Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
· Mashed Potato & Cauliflower Gratin (pending may change to garlic mashed potatoes)

Salad
· Quinoa with Garlic, Pine Nuts and Raisins

Xtra
· Gravy
· Stuffing - Cornbread, sausage and pecan dressing

2 Desert
· Pecan Pie
· Pumpkin Pie (might do 1/2 pumpkin and the other may have haupia pudding on top of the pumpkin pie)
w/ Bourbon whipped cream

Recipe for Coconut pudding. Either for topping of pumpkin pie or by itself for pudding squares.
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup whole milk
6 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 tsp vanilla (if desired)
pinch of salt (optional)

Cook coconut milk over medium heat in saucepan until hot. In a separate bowl, combine milk, sugar, corn starch, and salt and mix until thoroughly mixed. Combine into coconut milk on the stove and whisk until it thickens, to avoid lumps and burning, into a thick, yogurt-like consistency. Pour on cooked pumpkin pie and refrigerate until firm. I do not add shredded coconut meat because I like the pudding smooth.

I will probably not use it all, just a nice thin layer and put the rest in a small square pan and refrigerate and cut into small individual squares as a separate dessert. :w00t2: Was this TMI?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom