What are the 5 foods that you could simply not live without?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Such healthy choices LP. You go girl! I just couldn't pick 5 healthy choices, just imagine your last supper... wouldn't want to be munching on a stick of cellery then...lol!
It wasn't actually meant to be healthy :LOL:. This is just how I eat. I think if you asked me in the winter, though, my answers might be a little different.

Oh, no chance of my last meal being celery though.....peanut butter isn't on the list! :cool:

It wasn't actually meant to be healthy :LOL:. This is just how I eat. I think if you asked me in the winter, though, my answers might be a little different.

Oh, no chance of my last meal being celery though.....peanut butter isn't on the list! :cool:

Love my healthy foods to, it's winter here and very cold. Must be why I went for comfort food..lol!

This list would change at least monthly for me, most likely weekly. I'm always craving different things and there never seems to be one thing that I always want. A variety of foods seems to be more crucial to me than any specific foods.

The current list would be:

Sweet potatoes
Mushrooms
Beef
Avocado
Strawberries

Last week it would have been

Cheese
Chicken
Cucumber
Tomato
Blackberries

Ask me again in a week or two and it will probably have changed. I'm sure I could survive on just five foods, but I'd be so miserable.

I'm with PAG regarding variety. If I had to survive, I guess some nutritional drink would suffice, but I would not be a happy camper. So...if I could only select five ingredients to survive on, it would be:

Nutritional shakes
Fish
Rice
Lemons
Cattails - because you can eat the rhizomes like potatoes, the immature heads like corn, the shoots like greens, and the fluff can be used like flour. Plus, I could use the reeds and mature leaves to make baskets and blocks to catch more fish! :)

However, since it did not say one ingredient, I'm selecting proteins, fruits, veggies, dairy, and fats. :mrgreen:

~Kathleen

There is many different foods, that our family couldn't live without! But if I had to pick 5 here would be my choices (for just me)

1. Taco's - I love our home-made burrito's; Their delicious!
2. Hot Wings
3. Potatoes
4. Chicken
5. Eggs - love how they make you feel full longer!

salt, water, sugar, and 2 other variable things that i can eat with a bit of salt - maybe sugar - and glass of water, or pickle with the salt and sugar to preserve.

that's about the only way i can get it to 5. :mrgreen:

I funny how these threads work out, kinda like playing broken telephone..lol!
Ask for 5 foods and you end up with drinks, spices, condiments, survival lists and want lists. Gotta love it!

I funny how these threads work out, kinda like playing broken telephone..lol!
Ask for 5 foods and you end up with drinks, spices, condiments, survival lists and want lists. Gotta love it!

interesting love/hate thread - so hard to pick five, but here are my 5 no-can-do-without p's: pirogies, peaches, pork, pizza, potatoes.

Here's my list.

1.Bacon. ( anything wrapped in bacon as well )
2.Sushi.
3.Cheese.
4.Jalapinos.
5.Doctor Pepper.

That's a hard one. Here's mine.
1. Chili peppers for sure.
2. Homemade Jalapeno Jelly.
3. Smoked Salmon.
4. Cheese
5. Bananas

RockLobster that better be the stuff on the rind and not in the shaker can :)

Nothing else goes in my fridge, or on my pasta...I have tried the Canadian made parmesans, but they are waxy and tasteless in comparison to the Reggiano. My kids never come home for a visit witout bringing me a good sized chunk. They know I can't get it around here. I don't think I have eaten the bacterial culture stuff from the shaker for over 10 years. If I am a snob about anything, it is parmasan cheese.

Last edited:
i know this is off topic, but you all are making such nice, neat vertical lists - how do you drop down a line to make your numbers line up like that? and i know, i know, it's probably cheating to list pizza, a combination food, so bread, cheese and tomatoes all get included in a single pick - maybe even mushrooms, olives, peppers and pepperoni too....

Pizza is fine, it was just a list of 5 favourites for fun. If you want to make neat little lines just type a line and press enter and so on...

i know this is off topic, but you all are making such nice, neat vertical lists - how do you drop down a line to make your numbers line up like that?...

1. If you want to make a numbered list
  2. Click on Post Reply
  3. Then click on the icon that shows the numbers 1,2,and 3 followed by lines
  4. When you start typing, your text will appear after a #1
  5. Pressing ENTER moves you to the next item number
  6. Everything will line up automatically
  7. IF you want to end a numbered list,
either hit enter twice or hit enter once and click on that icon again to turn it off.

1) I
2) just
3) hit
4) enter
5) to
6) drop
7) down
8) a
9) line
10) and type the number out.
11) doo, dooooo.... :LOL:

Latest posts