Who hoards food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
got my hoard on yesterday, 14# of instant mashed potato for $2, i was checking out at lucky's and right in front of the register they had a display, 4/$1

nnaagw.jpg

got my hoard on yesterday, 14# of instant mashed potato for $2, i was checking out at lucky's and right in front of the register they had a display, 4/$1

nnaagw.jpg
I have to say that if these are anything like the instant mash available over here, there are some bargains that are not a bargain.

just used some last night for a shepherds pie and used them again tonight, coated some chicken breast with it and pan fried them, both were yummy

just used some last night for a shepherds pie and used them again tonight, coated some chicken breast with it and pan fried them, both were yummy

When I met my husband he was a batchelor and he always ate instant mashed potatoes, but when I started making homemade he would no longer eat instant. I always have instant in the house for emergencies, though, and he is back to eating them occasionally. They are useful for coating chicken, as you did, and also as a thickening agent. I also use them for filling when I make pierogies. They have improved them since they first came out.

buy it cheap and stack it deep..... who has 70# of pork chops in their freeze? i do, local store had 10# boxes for $9.99. bought 4 and got a coupon for $5 off my next purchase so i went back for 3 mo

97guns. How long have you been a prepper?

not a prepper, a bargain shopper that knows the price of food only goes higher and it has been at a quicker rate

i am a prepper and the way things are going right now in the world ive been extemly active lately. i have lots of grains, pastas, beans, canned veggies and meats. i also have a garden that does pretty well, just wondering if anyone here buys and hoards food in preparation for an event or just trying to outpace inflation. also curious as to what kinds of foods you might be hoarding.

97guns. How long have you been a prepper?

not a prepper, a bargain shopper that knows the price of food only goes higher and it has been at a quicker rate

This is why I asked. You are the OP.

changed my stance since starting the thread, the name prepper gets such a bad rap. im no longer a hoarder either, i merely buy cheap so dont come and take my food

Federal Anti-Hoarding Law | eHow

I also buy cheap and I also stock up on stuff thats on sale.
I have eaten instant mashed and I have had some that were pretty good.
But I would never consider buying instant mashed in those quantities.
Are those designed for long term storage?

Last edited:
Are those designed for long term storage?

no, actually rolling through them pretty quickly, gave a box to my brother and a neighbor, had some work done on my house and mad a shepherds pie for the work crew

they keep well in the spare refrigerator

Not a hoarder. Not a prepper. I just live 15 miles from a grocery store and hate to run out of things. We have always grown and frozen/dried/canned what we can because it tastes better than storebought....GMOs and pesticides aside.

Nobody better come and try to take my pig, 4H lamb and grass fed side of beef.

Maybe I am a hoarder...

Not a hoarder. Not a prepper. I just live 15 miles from a grocery store and hate to run out of things. We have always grown and frozen/dried/canned what we can because it tastes better than storebought....GMOs and pesticides aside.

Maybe I am a hoarder...
That's not hoarding, it's common sense. 15 miles to the nearest grocery store is not a gentle stroll down to the corner shop when you run out of bread.

Surely the federal hoarding law is about hoarding food in a crisis and causing and profiteering from shortages, not about someone having 3 more cans of tomatoes than they can eat in a week.

I like to have the wherewithal in my cupboards and freezer to rustle up a meal when friends and relatives drop in unexpectedly or to make some cakes for a bake sale when I want to. without a dash out to the shops. And I only live 15 minutes from the grocery store. I don't consider that sort of readiness hoarding.

The tins of ham and salmon that I found in my grandmother's cellar after her death in 1984, bearing the label of a company that had gone out of business when its factory was bombed in 1940 - now THAT'S hoarding!

Last edited:

Maybe I am a hoarder...

I'm 12 miles from a grocery store; about 25 mile round trip; I'm also an old hippie. I try to be self sufficient, but I do have a stash. I am a passionate (but not extreme) couponer. I have quite an HBA/paper goods stash. Running out of TP would be a crisis. Right now, we are cooking through, to restock this summer/fall.

I can't say I hoard food but, my pantry of jammed and pickled items my beg to differ. I am however a big fan of pastas and aged cheeses. So, I have no shortage of either.

I ama , I guess soft prepper. No I don't expect everything to to hades in my lifetime but, I do have food stores in case of natural disasters. Here we have tornadoes, hurricanes and, occasionally earthquakes (only small ones ever recorded so far.) We also have some sever storms that take down trees and, since I live 20 miles form the closest store of any kind, it's smart to have enough for 2-3 months on hand at all times.

Most of that is beans, rice, flour, sugar, salt, dried venison and, dried fish but, I also have a good supply of home canned produce and meat, and two freezers (one chest one upright) full of food. I have a generator and fuel to keep those going for six months without outside power. By then I can eat the food in them or, preserve it in a way that does not require electricity to store it safely.

I raise my own rabbits and chickens, a family member nearby raises the beef. I hunt and fish and, have a good garden so, very little is store bought and, what is is mostly bought as a treat and eaten the week it's purchased. (dry goods listed above excepted.)

I'm too busy to hoard food. I decided if things get bad it's easier to just roll over and die. Or arm myself and go shoot somebody who was smart enough to hoard food and too stupid to hoard guns 'n ammo.

I usually have enough to last about 6 months or so at a time, with the exception of perishables. Most of my grocery dollars go for fruits, veggies, and dairy. I stock up on meats when they are on sale, like yesterday chicken thighs were .88/lb. I picked up almost 10 lbs. for less than $8. :) That's when I really love my foodsaver. :) I always have at least 3 or so cases of water at one time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom