Wine recommendation for these two courses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke

Assistant Cook
1st course:

Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

Have been told semi-sweet rose or marlborough sav blanc for this.

2nd course:

Bay Scallop Gratin Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network
Have been suggested sauv blanc, chablis, or white burgundy for this one.

What are your thoughts on these choices? Any helping narrowing them down or should I go with something different?

Really loving this forum already!

For the scallops, I posted my suggestions on your other post:
Sauvignon Blanc is my preference. Chardonnay would work also.
My recommendations: Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc or J. Lohr Chardonnay Riverstone.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...-scallop-gratin-entree-86239.html#post1280665

Last edited:
Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad. I noticed that the salad also has citrus in it. Given that, I don't think any New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc would be a bad choice. Just keep in mind they tend to run a little on the sweet side. Unoaked Chardonnay would also work. If you like dry wines, I think white Bordeaux (which is usually a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon) would be a nice pairing. I'm not so sure about the Rosé.

Bay Scallop Gratin. This dish is deceptively tough to pair with wine because it contains Pernod, which has kind of a strange anise flavor. I would pair this with Chardonnay, but rather than French Chard, I would go with something from the Russian River Valley. Spanish Albariño would also go well I think.

Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad. I noticed that the salad also has citrus in it. Given that, I don't think any New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc would be a bad choice. Just keep in mind they tend to run a little on the sweet side. Unoaked Chardonnay would also work. If you like dry wines, I think white Bordeaux (which is usually a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon) would be a nice pairing. I'm not so sure about the Rosé.

Bay Scallop Gratin. This dish is deceptively tough to pair with wine because it contains Pernod, which has kind of a strange anise flavor. I would pair this with Chardonnay, but rather than French Chard, I would go with something from the Russian River Valley. Spanish Albariño would also go well I think.

I definitely like the less sweet wines... For unoaked chardonnay, is that something I should ask for at the wine shop or would it be labeled on the bottle?

I will look for the russian river for 2nd. I saw it mentioend while goggling as well.

I definitely like the less sweet wines... For unoaked chardonnay, is that something I should ask for at the wine shop or would it be labeled on the bottle?

I will look for the russian river for 2nd. I saw it mentioend while goggling as well.

Unoaked Chardonnay is usually marked as such. DeLoach, Toad Hollow, and Ironhorse all make unoaked Chard that's pretty easy to find. Kendall-Jackson Avant is good, too. It's not completely unoaked, but the citrus comes through real nice on it.

1st course:

Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

Have been told semi-sweet rose or marlborough sav blanc for this.

2nd course:

Bay Scallop Gratin Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network
Have been suggested sauv blanc, chablis, or white burgundy for this one.

What are your thoughts on these choices? Any helping narrowing them down or should I go with something different?

Really loving this forum already!

I would definitely go for a Rosé Wine for the first course. Fresh ans Semi sweet as you mentioned seems perfect !

For the second course, you can't go wrong with a White "Graves" from Bordeaux. Straw yellow dress, white Graves have an open, slightly woody and floral nose with hints of citrus. These wines offer good and round flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom