Cucumber storage...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please explain that to the stupid among us. :ermm:

If a doorbell is involved then I understand. :LOL:

We don't have that modern convenience around here. We use knockers or a good shout out to see if anyone is around.;)

I find stealth to be more effective. Just drop off the bag (in my case, it's usually apples) and split.

I think I get it now. It takes me awhile. :bangin:

A couple of years ago my neighbor left me some zucchini hanging off my doorknob in a plastic bag. What they didn't realize is that Lucy & Ethel thought that plastic bags where the most fun things in the world to play with. :rolleyes:

I now have to say a new product has been created. :) It's called "Pinhole Zucchini". ;)

And they wouldn't help me consume there invention. :LOL:

Please explain that to the stupid among us. :ermm:

If a doorbell is involved then I understand. :LOL:

We don't have that modern convenience around here. We use knockers or a good shout out to see if anyone is around.;)

My son has a piece of tape over his doorbell button and he's an electrician.:rolleyes:

It reminds me of that old commercial about the plumbers wife with backed up sinks.:glare:

Just ran across this. Great info. I have known about tomatoes for decades but not the cukes. That article also says peppers as well. I will have to try that when I harvest or buy; take half and leave them out and put the other half in the fridge for an experiment.:ermm:

I have found that keeping peppers in a fine mesh bag…you know that stuff for fairy costumes and whatnot?...keeps the peppers much longer in the vegetable drawer than open or in a plastic bag. Don’t know why. My wife sewed us one with an elastic opening (yea, she’s on the sewing forums…I cover the food!) and we have used it for years.

I hear everyone on the abundance of veggies. I stopped growing zucchinis…they cost too much of a real estate price in the garden and produces way too much for just a couple people. Plus…like you folks in here mentioned I always end up with some from other people anyway! “Ding ding! What’s this? Oh man, more free veggies…”:dry:

Right now I can’t stand the sight of a green bean or cucumber…even tomatoes I am sick of processing.

G.G.

Another idea on the cukes other than pickles is kimchi. Cucumber kimchi if done right is pretty good. It’s something different than dill or sweet pickles and pro-biotic so it’s good for the guts. I like really sour kimchi so the longer it sits, the better it is for me. I have some rotting in the fridge as I type! Oh yea….love that fermentation!:nuke:

Glad you brought that idea up Kenny. Many of us are without lots of counter room for leaving veggies out of the fridge. We got some mesh laundry bags at the dollar store, and hang them on hooks in the laundry room off of the kitchen for potatoes, onions, and more.

I do kind of the same thing. I keep the mesh bags from a sleeve of garlic bulbs and from bags of onions and re-use them. I hang onions, potatoes, etc. from the edge of shelves out in my garage during the cooler months. My garlic hangs off of the bag, wrap, and paper dispenser on the back of my pantry door.

When I have a big flush of tomato harvest I use a big wire rack with paper towels either out on a table in the garage or on the (seldom used) dining table with newspaper underneath in case one gets nasty. It keeps some space between them and air flow all around.

Those really fine mesh tubes that multiple bulbs of garlic come in make a great sack for putting small parts in the dishwasher. Drop the little parts in, tie a lose knot and push part of it over a tine or two in the upper rack. Works great, been doing that for years.

Unfortunately, I don't have a garage or a dining room table. So I keep my perishables in the basket directly in line with the vent of the AC. And in the winter they go into the crisper at the bottom of the fridge. Except for tomatoes if they are under ripe. Then they sit out to finish ripening. Someone once suggested I should keep them under the sink. First off, that is where I keep all chemicals for cleaning. And the heat from the pipes when running hot water or letting hot water down the drain is not conducive to happy produce.

Living in a studio apartment certainly has it challenges. :angel:

I do kind of the same thing. I keep the mesh bags from a sleeve of garlic bulbs and from bags of onions and re-use them. I hang onions, potatoes, etc. from the edge of shelves out in my garage during the cooler months. My garlic hangs off of the bag, wrap, and paper dispenser on the back of my pantry door.

When I have a big flush of tomato harvest I use a big wire rack with paper towels either out on a table in the garage or on the (seldom used) dining table with newspaper underneath in case one gets nasty. It keeps some space between them and air flow all around.

Those really fine mesh tubes that multiple bulbs of garlic come in make a great sack for putting small parts in the dishwasher. Drop the little parts in, tie a lose knot and push part of it over a tine or two in the upper rack. Works great, been doing that for years.
I have always hated throwing out those mesh bags, but I didn't think of your clever ways of reusing them. I'm going to start as soon as one becomes empty.

Back
Top Bottom