Okra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seeing this post reminded me of the first time I tried to cook okra. I'm from Ohio, we don't have okra there. We moved to SC and that was the first time I'd seen or heard of okra. A customer at the answering service I was working for brought a huge bushel basket of it for all of us to take some. Since my kids had eaten fried okra in school and liked it, I took some home to cook for them. Well, first I tried to peel it because it was "hairy" - of course it disintegrated in my hands. Then I just sliced it, but it had seeds, so I tried to "de-seed" it. Finding that a monumental task I called one of the ladies I worked with at the answering service and asked her how to cook it. I spent 5 minutes on hold, while she laughed herself silly over what I had done. She told me to slice it, bread it and fry it. Turned out pretty good that way, and was very easy to make. Live and learn I always say. ;)

I'm curious, Linda, what kind of breading do you use? I've tried the frozen pre-breaded and didn't like it at all. Whenever I try breading, it falls off. I use the frozen sliced okra.

Back
Top Bottom