Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the amended words of Dickens - Parenthood is the best of times and the worst ot times. I would never want to lose my to - but boy do they drive me up the wall and over the ceiling at points, then make you laugh and seem so cute.

In the amended words of Dickens - Parenthood is the best of times and the worst ot times. I would never want to lose my to - but boy do they drive me up the wall and over the ceiling at points, then make you laugh and seem so cute.

Amen to that.........teens.............glad that phase is over............hope you don't have the teen years to deal with.........believe me.............:ROFLMAO:

It's so heartwarming to hear about the love everyone feels for their children and grandchildren. Yes it is a trial at times but in the end it is all worth it! That makes me smile.

The other thing that's making me smile today is I found a recipe for chruscki that my grandmother always made for Thanksgiving and Christmas! It is a Polish pastry. It was on a yellowed sheet of paper in her handwriting stuck in a cookbook. I've been looking for over a month. I'm so happy!

Barb

Ahh, I was going through my Mom's recipe box looking for her very special (and likeable) fruitcake recipe yesterday and while I didn't find it, I had a wonderful time of smiles and tears looking at all the cards in her handwriting. Many weren't "recipies" at all but "notes" about how she made some of our family favourites. When she passed, 13 years ago my father and sister said I should be the one to take her recipes and cookbooks (and yes, expat, she had comments throughout each one) and I cherish them all.

Isn't it nice how the holidays, as hectic as they can be can bring us the greatest joy through the little things like the handwriting of a lost loved one.

Miniman, I have a story about teens that will make you smile and show that there is hope. (Not that a parent really needs reassuring!)

My husband and I help out with our church youth group in many different ways; one being I cook lunches and dinners for them during their annual summer service conference. Among other things they go out into the neighbourhood and paint houses, visit seniors centres, clean up our parks, etc. The first year we did this our Pastor, who has three young children, moved into a Townhouse complex. Shortly before, a group of teens had all but destroyed the only play area for the young ones and the strata were not too big on having a bunch of youth come in to work on it. But they were convinced and in 5 days (of about 3 hours a day) the area was not only repaired, but our teens had gotten donations from Home Depot and other places and added items as well as painted it in great bright kid friendly colours. This went along way to restore the faith of the townhouse owners and gave some small children a wonderful place to feel safe and have fun. Whenever I think of this or some of the other projects they have done over the past 5 years I always smile.

You might say I have about 30 teenagers, and although I don't have to live with them 24/7, I have seen the good and the bad in them and for the most part they are good.

Ahh, I was going through my Mom's recipe box looking for her very special (and likeable) fruitcake recipe yesterday and while I didn't find it, I had a wonderful time of smiles and tears looking at all the cards in her handwriting. Many weren't "recipies" at all but "notes" about how she made some of our family favourites. When she passed, 13 years ago my father and sister said I should be the one to take her recipes and cookbooks (and yes, expat, she had comments throughout each one) and I cherish them all.

Isn't it nice how the holidays, as hectic as they can be can bring us the greatest joy through the little things like the handwriting of a lost loved one.

Well put Laurie! That's exactly what I did with the crying and even laughing out loud at some of my grandmothers' comments. "No good, not worth making again!" etc. Too much/little of something or "Mine's better." lol

Barb

as a parent who's been there and done that the hardest thing that you will ever do is let your child get behind the wheel of a car.........you will not rest until you hear their foot thuds in the night.......my son is 26 and a police officer.........I still worry when he goes off.......you don't ever stop worrying about your children.......it comes with the turf......keeping their hands busy is a great idea........my daughter participated in habitats for humanity...........she roofed for one summer..........I must have passed on my hammering skills that were developed in our basement going after palmetto bugs....(big, big roaches)

Well done Laurie - it is great that you do things with them and they do show the good side of teens - all too often the media is filled with negative stuff causing a lot elder people to look down on teens.

I just found out a friend passed away. The good part of this story (part of which I had not remembered) was that my friend's wife saw me wearing a cute fishing tee shirt and she complimented me on. I gave her the tee shirt. What I found out today was that the tee shirt was for her son (an avid fisherman) that she gave the tee shirt too. Her husband told me how much that meant to her and how much he thought of the gift I had to smile. My eyes are a little wet right now so please forgive me. I would like to wish his family my condolences. It is very strange how a little offering can make someones day.

I just found out a friend passed away. The good part of this story (part of which I had not remembered) was that my friend's wife saw me wearing a cute fishing tee shirt and she complimented me on. I gave her the tee shirt. What I found out today was that the tee shirt was for her son (an avid fisherman) that she gave the tee shirt too. Her husband told me how much that meant to her and how much he thought of the gift I had to smile. My eyes are a little wet right now so please forgive me. I would like to wish his family my condolences. It is very strange how a little offering can make someones day.

Sometimes, it's the small things that make the biggest impressions. I'm glad that you have a happy memory about it.

My condolences, Lefty, on the loss of your friend, and my thanks for reminding us that there can be joy in sorrow, we just have to look for it.

Lefty so sorry about your friend..I know how it hurts..You shared something small and it grew and came back to you and the thought will lift your spirit and your heart now.
kadesma

Joe's post in "I am not a genius"......very touching:)

Lefty, may I offer my condolences to you and your family, as well as your friends family. I'm sure that the fond memories and smiles from you and his loved ones is exactly what makes him know that his time here on earth was not at all wasted!

Joe's post in "I am not a genius"......very touching:)

Lefty, may I offer my condolences to you and your family, as well as your friends family. I'm sure that the fond memories and smiles from you and his loved ones is exactly what makes him know that his time here on earth was not at all wasted!

I agree.... for both Joe and Lefty...

Joe, your post is heart felt....

Lefty, my thoughts and prayers are with you, my sincere condolences to you.

Lefty, don't know what more I can say that hasn't been said. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your good friend.

Barb

It is very strange how a little offering can make someones day.

AND she got to check you out without your shirt on, huh lefty?

just kidding.

i'm sorry about the loss of your buddy. i hope he's reelin' 'em in in heaven, smiling down on you right now.

Back
Top Bottom