Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
arriving home in KZ after a long, arduous journey and seeing my husband........also helping out an old man (well, older than me :):)) who I "doctored" as I was the only one to come to his assistance when they announced that they needed a doctor....when I saw noone going to the back to help I stepped in as I had had some student nursing training though I was sure to them I was no doctor nor nurse...they didn't care they were just happy for some help...I "diagnosed" him with being dehydrated after eliminating heart attack, dementia, and low blood sugar...took his pulse after calming him down as we took deep breaths together and it was normal for his age..... went to my "black doctor's bag" andgave the steward some rehydration powder to mix with water and told them to give it to him as often as he could tolerate it (imagine drinking saltwater) but he looked and felt immensely better awhile later.....I was called "Dr. Debe" in Cairo...:):) What a feeling!!

Picture it...
5:30 AM, my DH half asleep, comes to me as I'm at the computer and says...
"I need help!" It seems he didn't line up the zipper on his jacket (he was on his way to work) and had it messed up. I almost didn't get it unzipped and was ready to tell him he was stuck wearing it for the rest of his life. Well at least it wasn't the zipper in his slacks and him getting something else stuck in the zipper.

Debs, I am so proud of you! Maybe you should go on to get your nursing or doctor's degree!

GOMK, Thanks for the laugh!

thanks, Laurie, it was a huge plane and couldn't believe there wasn't even one person to assist........part of the problem was that most people were asleep and probably didn't hear the request........oh, well, I made the right diagnosis and had the rehydration powder on my carry-on...........I would love to be a doctor but we didn't have much money when I was in college.....the staff assured me that they would take his blood pressure and give him some oxygen

Way to go Debs..But then I would expect you to help..You always come through.

kades

My older sister telling me I did good in researching a care home for our Dad to go to and offering our home while he waits to get in. This is big because I have always been the "baby", unable to make grown up decisions or actions!

Picture it...
5:30 AM, my DH half asleep, comes to me as I'm at the computer and says...
"I need help!" It seems he didn't line up the zipper on his jacket (he was on his way to work) and had it messed up. I almost didn't get it unzipped and was ready to tell him he was stuck wearing it for the rest of his life. Well at least it wasn't the zipper in his slacks and him getting something else stuck in the zipper.
OUCH -That would be much worse for sure-lol

My sister just sent me an email to say she hoped it came across on the phone how much she loves me and is proud of me for how far I have come the last few years and that both she and Dad can't believe how well I have handled everything going on lately.

Yes, there is a really big smile beneath these tears of joy. It's tough being the baby of the family sometimes, even at 50 so this really has me feeling good! Sorry to bore you with the same story twice, but the fact that she wanted to follow up the phone call with an email is really something!

Laurie,
that is wonderful and you really deserve it..It's so wonderful to see parents being loved and taken care of in their later years...Some really seem to thrive on it and the quality of life seems to get better and the smiles are well worth you hard work. Bless you Laurie

kades

My dad has Alzheimers and lives with me. Today he called me by name, he hasn't done that for months. For a short time he actually remembered me.

Looking out of my kitchen window this morning I noticed about 5 male cardinals flitting in and out of one of the school bus-sized piles of tree debris from our recent ice storm. They were so beautiful. Their crimson bodies against the dead brown of the wood and limbs was wonderful. Couldn't help but smile.

My dad has Alzheimer's and lives with me. Today he called me by name, he hasn't done that for months. For a short time he actually remembered me.

My mother is suffering from Alzheimer's also and although by the sounds of it she is not as far advanced as your dad. Those times that they don't recognize you and remember your name as very sad and it makes you cherish the sound of your name from their lips and any coherent moments they do have. As frustrating as Alzheimer's can be, your doing a great thing.

Reading this thread made me smile. I could just see Debs face and the man she helped. Laurie and her sister. And all of us with Moms/Dads with Alzheimers. You all make me smile when I've had a long day.

I've been going thru 12 years of photographs of my son, from just a few hours old on up and I think I have a charley horse in my face from smiling so hard. I'm scanning old photos and burning them to a disk with music for my own entertainment. I haven't picked out the right music yet. My son wants me to use the theme from Star Wars. Not exactly the melody I was looking for.

My mother is suffering from Alzheimer's also and although by the sounds of it she is not as far advanced as your dad. Those times that they don't recognize you and remember your name as very sad and it makes you cherish the sound of your name from their lips and any coherent moments they do have. As frustrating as Alzheimer's can be, your doing a great thing.
Getout,
I know how hard it is for you, my mom had dementiashe knew us but would repeat the same question over and over, she would forget I had called her to be ready at 5 to go to dinner, i had to call her at 4 then again at 4:15 and keep it up til i couldget her to come over and off we would go..I can't tell you how much that hurt..My mom was one of those people everybody like and enjoyed. My dh had told me that of all our parents if he had to live withone and care for them he would wish it were mom..You could tease her, get her to ride a horse and they scaed her to pieces, if as kids the teacher asked for cupcakes boy did they get cupcakes..So seeing her this way..boy oh boy..Then watching her stop eating or even taking a sip of her beloved coffee because a nurse heard her cough and they decided to thicken everything even water..I can still remember how sad she was in the hospital and missed her dog molly if you mentioned home whe would smile and light up. Even today I could kick myself for not telling all those doctors who took turns testing her and each one telling me something different to bug off i was taking her home..I was a fool and my mom went into that awful hospital, and 4 days later my sweet little mom was gone.
so enjoy each and every minute, give hugs and kisses, even bring pictures and later you will be glad you did
kadesma

My dad has Alzheimers and lives with me. Today he called me by name, he hasn't done that for months. For a short time he actually remembered me.
Oh cooking,
what a moment to hold close and treasure.I wish you more of them. Any child who care for their parent no matter the reason is an angel,prayers for you and your dad..My mom had dementia and still remembered all of us. I'm so thankful for that.May your dad look at you one more time and remember
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom