Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barbara L said:
:) A friend just had a baby boy yesterday. He was 8 pounds 13 ounces, born on 8-13. :)

:) Big baby boy with a great birthday! :)

Congrats to your friend!

This is from a few days ago but I couldn't find the thread.

On Sunday I took two of my favourite "kids" birthday presents to church. The first is my BFF's youngest son who turned 15. This is the boy I may have mentioned who has tourretes and while he is the sweetest guy I have ever known has struggles that none of us should have at twice his age. Anyway he loves golf and he and my Dad got along really well. So I gave him Dad's golf balls which I found in his closet - a whole pile of never used ones and knew that Dad would be so happy with them. I also have my young friend a book on golf tips from the pros. He liked the book but seemed more touched by the balls. That meant so much to me I still am smiling about it.

Second was a young lady, just turned 16 who has had many struggles of her own. She is being brought up by her sisters who are much older than her as the woman who she'd known as "Mom" passed away 5 years after she had been adopted into the family. This young woman is so talented and beautiful inside and out but very shy and lacking confidence. She wants me to teach her to cook in the worst way so I gave her the latest edition of the "Betty Crocker Cookbook" which was the first one my mother bought for me when I was about the same age. I said pick out some things you want to make and we will set a time to start lessons. Well she sat at the back of the church after service for about 20 minutes going through page by page. We are making deviled eggs on Friday! :chef:

To be able to have an influence on the lives of these young people will keep a smile on my face forever. :)

There is a school of thought that all altruistic acts have a self-serving component. I don't think that's why people do good things. It's the fringe benefit of being a good person.

This is from a few days ago but I couldn't find the thread.

On Sunday I took two of my favourite "kids" birthday presents to church. The first is my BFF's youngest son who turned 15. This is the boy I may have mentioned who has tourretes and while he is the sweetest guy I have ever known has struggles that none of us should have at twice his age. Anyway he loves golf and he and my Dad got along really well. So I gave him Dad's golf balls which I found in his closet - a whole pile of never used ones and knew that Dad would be so happy with them. I also have my young friend a book on golf tips from the pros. He liked the book but seemed more touched by the balls. That meant so much to me I still am smiling about it.

Second was a young lady, just turned 16 who has had many struggles of her own. She is being brought up by her sisters who are much older than her as the woman who she'd known as "Mom" passed away 5 years after she had been adopted into the family. This young woman is so talented and beautiful inside and out but very shy and lacking confidence. She wants me to teach her to cook in the worst way so I gave her the latest edition of the "Betty Crocker Cookbook" which was the first one my mother bought for me when I was about the same age. I said pick out some things you want to make and we will set a time to start lessons. Well she sat at the back of the church after service for about 20 minutes going through page by page. We are making deviled eggs on Friday! :chef:

To be able to have an influence on the lives of these young people will keep a smile on my face forever. :)

:wub: Love this story, it made me smile.

Wow, hasn't anyone smiled in that last while? ;)

I had a huge smile on Friday - it still comes with some reservations but it really showed me the power of love.

Some of you may remember me talking about my "daughter". This is a young woman who, in her late teens until she was 25 stayed with us on and off. She had a rough home-life and while she had some demons of her own, for the most part had a good heart. I loved (and still do) her like a daughter. She came back for the last time from Inuvik with a boyfriend. They stayed with her family at first but as always that turned sour so they moved here. They decided to get married (right now) and DH and I helped them. But from that point on they took total advantage of us and our love (no need to get into it here) and I had to kick them out. Actually I kicked her out as he was working. That was about 5 years ago.

They eventually got their own place, had to endure both of them losing jobs a few times (their fault for the most part) and now they have two children, 3 and 1.

Well, my "daughter" apologized and thanked us for the "tough love" a few months ago and while my trust issues will take awhile, it felt good. Friday the doorbell rang and there was her husband with a big smile and the two kids in a stroller. He said that he woke up this morning and knew he had to come and make things right. He introduced me to the kids as "Mama Laurie", his name for me in better times and my heart melted. I finally got to meet and bond with my "grandchildren". He said that it took awhile but they realized what we were trying to teach them.

He didn't have the anger behind his face that was always so prevalent when he was here. He is putting in resumes (for anything) which is another big step for him. We talked for about 20 minutes and had 3 big hugs. He asked me to pass on his apology to DH too and hopes that we can all get together some time soon.

There is still a bit of hurt, but seeing him better and more mature was a blessing. And hugging those grandbabies didn't hurt either! :)

Sorry this is so long but I thought it needed a bit of back story!

Last edited:
I'm smiling with you LP. I hope and pray that they are on the right track. Sounds like those little ones might keep them going in the right direction. I sure hope so. So glad that you were able to enjoy the moment!

Wow, hasn't anyone smiled in that last while? ;)

I had a huge smile on Friday - it still comes with some reservations but it really showed me the power of love.

Some of you may remember me talking about my "daughter". This is a young woman who, in her late teens until she was 25 stayed with us on and off. She had a rough home-life and while she had some demons of her own, for the most part had a good heart. I loved (and still do) her like a daughter. She came back for the last time from Inuvik with a boyfriend. They stayed with her family at first but as always that turned sour so they moved here. They decided to get married (right now) and DH and I helped them. But from that point on they took total advantage of us and our love (no need to get into it here) and I had to kick them out. Actually I kicked her out as he was working. That was about 5 years ago.

They eventually got their own place, had to endure both of them losing jobs a few times (their fault for the most part) and now they have two children, 3 and 1.

Well, my "daughter" apologized and thanked us for the "tough love" a few months ago and while my trust issues will take awhile, it felt good. Friday the doorbell rang and there was her husband with a big smile and the two kids in a stroller. He said that he woke up this morning and knew he had to come and make things right. He introduced me to the kids as "Mama Laurie", his name for me in better times and my heart melted. I finally got to meet and bond with my "grandchildren". He said that it took awhile but they realized what we were trying to teach them.

He didn't have the anger behind his face that was always so prevalent when he was here. He is putting in resumes (for anything) which is another big step for him. We talked for about 20 minutes and had 3 big hugs. He asked me to pass on his apology to DH too and hopes that we can all get together some time soon.

There is still a bit of hurt, but seeing him better and more mature was a blessing. And hugging those grandbabies didn't hurt either! :)

Sorry this is so long but I thought it needed a bit of back story!
Laurie,
It feels good to be a MA doesn't it? Hold on to the hope and way those babies looked at you. I know how I feel when mine are here to play and visit. All the I love you ma's will eventually come and you will live on those sweet words for weeks. I'm thrilled for you but please just enjoy what is here now live in the present sweetie. hugs Laurie.
ma

Last edited:
I smiled today when I was at CVS picking up medicine. My little boy had his earphones and Ipod and was singing at the top of his lungs, he didnt realize that everyone could hear him. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom