Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The green things finally starting to grow in my yard. I thought my lilacs had all frozen, but I was wrong. Yeah! Looks like they will bloom this year after all!

The green things finally starting to grow in my yard. I thought my lilacs had all frozen, but I was wrong. Yeah! Looks like they will bloom this year after all!

The lilacs here are just about shot.

Waiting for the peonies.

Peonies always remind me of high school proms.

The decorating committee used to wipe out our entire neighborhood every year! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Visiting my sister at the hospital today and seeing her in such good spirits and being able to walk on her own with just her IV pole. She still has a long way to go but I smiled all through our visit because she is so strong. :)

My sweet husband made me smile.

He went out later this morning to run some errands in anticipation of doing some serious dirt work in the yard. Laying a new gas line, moving a propane tank, and more.

Anyhow, he had a long list and I knew he'd be gone for a while. I was doing little odd jobs around the house and as I was finishing up my last one in the back yard, I looked up to see him standing near the back door. He was finally home so I went to see how successful he was in his trip to town.

Got everything on his list and, as I quickly glanced at him, I noticed there was something red on his fresh-this-morning denim shirt. I asked him if he cut himself on something at one of the suppliers. Nope.

On his way home he stopped at the local strawberry farmer's house and bought 4 quarts of the most beautiful picture-perfect strawberries. Oh, yum. I was thinking of them last night as I drifted off to sleep. I didn't say anything to him but he must've read my mind.

Just another of the reasons I love him so much!!!! He's so thoughtful.

this is a summer memory that makes me smile whenever something brings it to mind: as kids, we used to love chasing after lightening bugs as the skies were swiftly turning from dusk to dark. the darkening lawns and sky would light up with momentary kisses of bright light from the bugs. some of the children (it was mainly the boys) would carry mason jars with which to capture as many of them as they were able. i never participated in this activity myself, but i was mesmerized by the live blinking lights emanating from these tiny fliers...

what makes me smile, though, is, this one particular night, we shared an unforgettable vision that us kids witnessed as a group. i'm afraid i'm not able to do justice to this remarkable sight in the telling, but i guess that can't be helped. i saw what i saw, and it is a picture i cannot adequately share with those of you who were not there.... it happened on an otherwise ordinary night. a strange young boy had joined us in our lawn games and antics...it was only later that we found out that not one of us knew this boy or where he had come from. he was shabbily dressed in pants and shirt that was faded and a size too small for him. he was kind of grubby looking too--well, dirtier than the rest of us, anyhow. so, there we were, the fireflies had at some point wholly captured our attention, and had us scampering this way and that, in earnest pursuit. suddenly, i lift up my head to see the lone boy, apart from everyone, standing completely still, arms extended out to his sides. he somewhat resembles a scarecrow, with his too-short pants and sockless, exposing skinny stick-like legs. but then, all eyes turned onto the boy, and became at once a rapt audience. the boy had suddenly lit up entirely from head to toe--his thin body was illuminated by multitudes of fireflies, covering every inch of his skin, hair and clothing--he appeared a shining, live, human cross against the blackened sky. the boy now wore a beatific smile on his face, peaceful, at one with nature...no longer shabby or strange, but golden.... afterwards, we still needed to ask each other what it was we had seen, and what did it mean....

this is a summer memory that makes me smile whenever something brings it to mind: as kids, we used to love chasing after lightening bugs as the skies were swiftly turning from dusk to dark. the darkening lawns and sky would light up with momentary kisses of bright light from the bugs. some of the children (it was mainly the boys) would carry mason jars with which to capture as many of them as they were able. i never participated in this activity myself, but i was mesmerized by the live blinking lights emanating from these tiny fliers...

what makes me smile, though, is, this one particular night, we shared an unforgettable vision that us kids witnessed as a group. i'm afraid i'm not able to do justice to this remarkable sight in the telling, but i guess that can't be helped. i saw what i saw, and it is a picture i cannot adequately share with those of you who were not there.... it happened on an otherwise ordinary night. a strange young boy had joined us in our lawn games and antics...it was only later that we found out that not one of us knew this boy or where he had come from. he was shabbily dressed in pants and shirt that was faded and a size too small for him. he was kind of grubby looking too--well, dirtier than the rest of us, anyhow. so, there we were, the fireflies had at some point wholly captured our attention, and had us scampering this way and that, in earnest pursuit. suddenly, i lift up my head to see the lone boy, apart from everyone, standing completely still, arms extended out to his sides. he somewhat resembles a scarecrow, with his too-short pants and sockless, exposing skinny stick-like legs. but then, all eyes turned onto the boy, and became at once a rapt audience. the boy had suddenly lit up entirely from head to toe--his thin body was illuminated by multitudes of fireflies, covering every inch of his skin, hair and clothing--he appeared a shining, live, human cross against the blackened sky. the boy now wore a beatific smile on his face, peaceful, at one with nature...no longer shabby or strange, but golden.... afterwards, we still needed to ask each other what it was we had seen, and what did it mean....

I am also a fan of fire flies and summer evenings under the stars.

I really enjoyed your story and it gave me a stray thought!

How come these things never happen to clean well dressed children from nice homes? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The gutters being cleaned and the lawns being mowed...and the fact that we can have them professionally done :)

DH mowing not only our yard, but our neighbors' yard. They'll be back from 2 weeks in Germany tomorrow. Nice that they won't have to mow first thing when they get home! (They're pretty persnickety about their lawn).

DH mowing not only our yard, but our neighbors' yard. They'll be back from 2 weeks in Germany tomorrow. Nice that they won't have to mow first thing when they get home! (They're pretty persnickety about their lawn).

I'm smiling because we may actually have to mow more than once this year! Things are starting to green up a little. It has been so dry that we have only had to mow a couple of times each year for the past few years. I'm ready for a year when we mow every two or three weeks. We live out in the country and have five acres, but we only mow the front couple acres. The bunnies, birds, ect. Like the fact that we leave some natural grassland in the back. :)

My 6 year old grandson, of course.

My daughter called to talk and she related the following. She told Steven they were going to Grampy's on Monday. He asked what are we going to do and she told him eat dinner and stuff. Then all of a sudden the light bulb went on.

"Wait a minute, I don't have school on Monday AND we're going to Grampy's!?!?. OH MY GOD! That's Awesome!

Back
Top Bottom