Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know when to throw it in, eh? :LOL:

Our Owl Is Back! :w00t: I heard the "territorial hooting" last night. A couple of days ago, while sitting near a window in the back of our home, I saw a huge span of wings gliding over the treetops. My first thought, when the bird was quite a distance away, was "that hawk has one huge wing span!" When he got close enough to clear the treetops I saw not a narrow hawk's head but...a saucer full of feathers? What, we have an owl with insomnia living in our trees? No surprise, since we stay up late enough to wake the birds (someone's got to do it), but apparently Great Horned Owls will hunt during the day when the pickin's are slim.

I know when to throw it in, eh? :LOL:

Our Owl Is Back! :w00t: I heard the "territorial hooting" last night. A couple of days ago, while sitting near a window in the back of our home, I saw a huge span of wings gliding over the treetops. My first thought, when the bird was quite a distance away, was "that hawk has one huge wing span!" When he got close enough to clear the treetops I saw not a narrow hawk's head but...a saucer full of feathers? What, we have an owl with insomnia living in our trees? No surprise, since we stay up late enough to wake the birds (someone's got to do it), but apparently Great Horned Owls will hunt during the day when the pickin's are slim.
It also depends on the moon. During full moon they are out at night.

We had one living in our rafters and heard its comings and goings. It also took rabbits off our snare line. We used to joke that we not only put a roof over its head and heated, we fed it too.

We've had Bachelor Owl here for many years. He hoots like crazy, but no lady owl answers. DH hoots at him, and gets his hopes up. We also have pairs who answer back and forth. Every owl pair has a distinctive hoot.

Last edited:
Dawg,we've actually had a mating couple within sound range the last couple winters. Cute to hear them call-and-answer. This year it's just the one call...hope nothing happened to the "mate'. :(

Taxy, we've heard them at night quite often the last couple of years. This was the first time I had spotted an owl during the day. Haven't seen one at night, but then we have a lot of woods around here.

Last edited:
We have an owl of some sort, never seen it. It only calls in the daytime. But with not ever seeing the sun around here...

Dawg, it must have been nice to keep relaxing and read another paper!

Pretty soon, you'll start to think of all the projects you can start after having a suitable rest period.

Any chance he can take one of his guitars and volunteer for a sing a long at a nursing home? :angel:

He could do that, it's been mentioned lots of times. It's will he do it. I would love it if he did this at the facility and the residents would love it, too!

He could do that, it's been mentioned lots of times. It's will he do it. I would love it if he did this at the facility and the residents would love it, too!

I have noticed at Winthrop, the residents perk right up when they turn up the music. The have the stereo on low and turn it up during their lunch time. It is kept on an oldies station and so many of them sing along. :angel:

Okay, this is over a week old, but I forgot to mention it. Stirling took a week of vacation at Yule. He was sick and then he was recuperating and he really wanted one week off while he felt well. I thought he wasn't going to get a pay cheque for the end of January (he gets paid once a month). They had a look and discovered that he had more vacation coming. They hadn't been calculating it right. He got a full pay cheque for January! Phew. w00t! :w00t:

That's great taxy! It's good to get paid to stay home. ;)

I was smiling when we were on our way to Penzeys. I stopped smiling when we got stuck in a huge traffic jam and realized there was no way we would get there in time. We turned off in another direction to hit a couple other stores in the same area since Penzeys is a good distance from our house. I started smiling again when I realized we'll be heading to Penzeys again sometime next week. Like Monday - if my dishwasher repair guy comes early enough so we can get away in time.

I wish there was a Penzy's here...I would love to get my refills there.

Last thing that made me smile...my migraine is gone...but now I am awake!

I have yet to open my w-2. This year's taxes are going to be a bit more tricky. We have to do "dummy" federal taxes in order to do our state taxes, those will have to be mailed in. Then we have to do federal as a married couple.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I have yet to open my w-2. This year's taxes are going to be a bit more tricky. We have to do "dummy" federal taxes in order to do our state taxes, those will have to be mailed in. Then we have to do federal as a married couple.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Am I wrong? I thought your state finally recognized same sex marriages toward the end of the year. :angel:

Super excited, waking up in a hotel with my husband, and best friend getting ready for the monster truck rally tonight! The 3 of us split a room and are looking forward to it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom