Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Waking up in my new (old) bed knowing I'm in my own house.

The bed frame is cast iron, made in the late 1800's with the gold paint still on. I AM NOT going to refinish it. Was in the consignment shop when I saw it, it was "love at first sight". It was priced at $267.

The welcoming sight of the small rambling white roses, (from next door's garden), growing over to my side.
Their alignment merges perfectly into my arbour red roses.
color.gif

Last edited:

The bed frame is cast iron, made in the late 1800's with the gold paint still on. I AM NOT going to refinish it. Was in the consignment shop when I saw it, it was "love at first sight". It was priced at $267.
Sounds great, like something I would fall in love with too.

The bed frame is cast iron, made in the late 1800's with the gold paint still on. I AM NOT going to refinish it...
Nothing like your own bed, under your own roof, with your own pillows. Well, the pillows are portable. ;) Is the bed frame a plain, bent-pipe style, or one with curlicues and lots of decoration? A Random Photo when the camera is excavated, perhaps?

Our daughter has my parents' old bedroom set. I know Mom got it second-hand (I'm not sure, but I think it was HER parents' set) and refinished it when Dad was off fighting WWII. It's worn and a little chipped, but I'm glad Loverly loves it just the way it is. :heart:

Nothing like your own bed, under your own roof, with your own pillows. Well, the pillows are portable. ;) Is the bed frame a plain, bent-pipe style, or one with curlicues and lots of decoration? A Random Photo when the camera is excavated, perhaps?

Our daughter has my parents' old bedroom set. I know Mom got it second-hand (I'm not sure, but I think it was HER parents' set) and refinished it when Dad was off fighting WWII. It's worn and a little chipped, but I'm glad Loverly loves it just the way it is. :heart:

Fancy! The shop owner was glad I didn't want to refinish it.

I currently have my eye on a china cabinet she has, it's huge! Made of cherry and a great buy at $359. You guys would love this store! The owner goes to estate sales and buys newer furniture from folks who want a change. I like the older stuff.

That sounds like a gorgeous bed, and a really great price, too. So does the cherry china cabinet! I'm needing another cabinet to display my grandmother's china - maybe I should make a trip to that little store in WY. :ohmy::ermm::)

They sure made things to last back then.

Sounds like a dangerous place to be, PF. :D The china cabinet sounds like a steal! And it's a good thing you aren't going to paint all those curlicues, etc. What. A. Pain. :wacko:

A long-ago friend of mine was moving from OH to NY and was getting rid of a number of her things. I got a great deal on her antique 6-piece barristers' cabinet - four book units plus a base and cap. One of my best steals, and Kim thought she got a good price too. Win-win!

That sounds like a gorgeous bed, and a really great price, too. So does the cherry china cabinet! I'm needing another cabinet to display my grandmother's china - maybe I should make a trip to that little store in WY. :ohmy::ermm::)

They sure made things to last back then.

I have a guest room!!!

Sounds like a dangerous place to be, PF. :D The china cabinet sounds like a steal! And it's a good thing you aren't going to paint all those curlicues, etc. What. A. Pain. :wacko:

A long-ago friend of mine was moving from OH to NY and was getting rid of a number of her things. I got a great deal on her antique 6-piece barristers' cabinet - four book units plus a base and cap. One of my best steals, and Kim thought she got a good price too. Win-win!

Two days after I picked up my bed, she sold another iron bedstead...to my mother. Not as fancy as mine though!

Best thing I got though, is my new desk. It belonged to my Great-Grandmother, I have my computer set up on it!

Two days after I picked up my bed, she sold another iron bedstead...to my mother. Not as fancy as mine though!

Best thing I got though, is my new desk. It belonged to my Great-Grandmother, I have my computer set up on it!

That's wonderful, and you'll get to enjoy it every day! I'd have loved to have some of my greats' furniture, but it's still in the family so that's a good thing. I feel really fortunate to have some of my great grandmother's pictures and some of her vases, purple glass, and china in my cabinet.

:) This made me smile.
My little grandson Tyler turned 5 last month, and today was his 'meet and greet' with his new teacher at his new school. He starts Kindergarten next week, and was so excited to show her what a big boy he is, and how much he's learned in preschool and at home with his momma. :wub:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

My mother had a complete Hoosier cabinet. I loved that cabinet. My father kept it and I don't know what happened to it when he died. I wish I had kept track of it. I would have loved to have it today. It was complete. Even the flour bin was just as it was when new. :angel:

Cheryl, that's so cute! Looks like Tyler might need a little step-stool to reach any higher though.

...Best thing I got though, is my new desk. It belonged to my Great-Grandmother, I have my computer set up on it!
:heart: Isn't it nice to have that touchstone to your past? I love working with so many of my Mom's kitchen tools, sitting in my Grandma's porch rocker, using a hand tool that used to be my Dad's. It's like a little bit of them is back in my life, you know? You can bet your Grandma will be watching you type and making sure you sit up straight. ;)

Last edited:
Last night I went to go to bed and found my side taken up by a big brown dog and a tiny black cat. TB was already asleep and the two fur-kids were beside each other on my side. They both looked up at me like "we got here first".

I picked Monkey up and moved her to beside TB's feet where she usually sleeps and nudged Violet over best I could to crawl in beside her.

As much as I would love to get mad at them, they always seem to put a smile on my face!

Back
Top Bottom