Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seeing the pleasure I gave from buying a Big Issue vendor an icecream (on a hot day). ;)

Hearing the three young kids from the balcony above us calling out to our cat "Mucky, here Mucky". English is not their first language and the little one is just starting to talk. As for Monkey, she will come to any name as long as she gets some attention or treats! When the kids play on the grass Monkey always goes over to them!

A friend of mine had a cat named Mehitabel. She would answer to anything with about the right number of syllables and said with the same intonation/rhythm, e.g., Dummy kitty, stupid cat. :LOL:

One of my college drama teachers had a bulldog named Mehitabel! Haven't heard that name in centuries!

I had just filled the birdbaths and right after I came inside there were three little birds all taking turns with a splash in the water. It has been months without rain so it makes me so happy to see them splashing around and having fun, plus getting the water to drink.

Just looking at these two....

Attachments

• Jack 002.jpg
    Jack 002.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 174
I'm sure some would disagree, but he managed to convince his publisher in New York...

This is a pretty interesting article about new findings at Jamestown, site of the first permanent English colony in America. It's about an hour northwest of me: Jamestown archaeologist Kelso and historian Horn: Public reaction to four bodies and silver box.

I can easily understand about the cuisine beginning in Virginia. Prior to that area of Jamestown, it was Native American foods. And except for a few tribes on the East Coast, they were mostly hunters and looked for other foods in the woods. Lots of wild onions, and other herbs that grew wild.

So yes, Virginia does come to mind very easily. :angel:

I had just filled the birdbaths and right after I came inside there were three little birds all taking turns with a splash in the water. It has been months without rain so it makes me so happy to see them splashing around and having fun, plus getting the water to drink.

We always have a birdbath too but it has been so hot lately the birds have been staying away from it. I ask my DH if the water gets too warm? Maybe we should change it more often.

I know the water had been getting real hot with our 90+days so I change it at least twice a day or more. They wait in the tree when they see me spraying the water into the baths. They are smart!

We have a male cardinal who gets really annoyed if DH doesn't fill the bird feeders on the cardinal's schedule. He waits and watches. DH gets divebombed and chirped at until he puts the sunflower seeds in the feeder.

I get buzzed by the hummingbirds. They even eye me from the picture window.

Guess we both have our specialties!

It took me forever to make tonight's corn-and-bean dish because I spent so much time looking at the hummers outside the kitchen window. I can tell we have at least three distinct birds that have been visiting the feeders, each with their own personality.

I had to laugh today when I saw the catbird on the patio table. All last week I was putting a plate of fruit out for him, and he never showed up. The fruit was still gone - I didn't know squirrels would eat cherries...:huh: Anyway, catbird is giving me the evil eye right through the kitchen window. Since it was getting late I told him he'll have to check back on Monday. He'd better show up once I put lunch out for him!

I have a system that attracts birds and satisfies their feeding and bathing habits, and waters my trees at the same time. :LOL: My front yard is mostly pine trees, with wells dug out around the base of the trees. I scatter bird seed everywhere early in the morning, and turn on the bubblers that fill the little wells around the trees. The water attracts the birds, they splash around in the wells, and then discover the bird seed.

It's California though, so the trees only get watered twice a week at most. :rolleyes: I sprinkle bird seed every day though, and some of the birds remember to come back every day for meals. Watering days really attract a lot of them, though. :)

I just had TEN Mourning Doves sitting on the fence. Of course, this is the first time I didn't have phone with me to take a photo. By the time I went back in they had all turned around and two had flown off. They hang out in our ALL day. Love watching them!

I watched a couple of hummingbirds chase a pair of nuthatches out of my Mugo, which is located by their feeder. Pugnacious little brats.

Last edited:
  1. These sentences actually appeared in church
    bulletins or were announced at church services:

The Fasting & Prayer Conference includes meals.
    --------------------------
    Scouts are saving aluminium cans, bottles and other items to be recycled.
    Proceeds will be used to cripple children.

The sermon this morning: 'Jesus Walks on the Water'. The sermon tonight: 'Searching for Jesus'.
    Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale. It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Bring your husbands.

Don't let worry kill you off - let the Church help.
    Miss Charlene Mason sang 'I will not pass this way again,' giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.
    Irving Benson and Jessie Carter were married on October 24 in the church. So
    ends a friendship that began in their school days.

-------------------------
    At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?'
    Come early and listen to our choir practice.

Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person
    you want remembered.
    The church will host an evening of fine dining, super entertainment and gracious hostility.
    Pot-luck supper Sunday at 5:00 PM - prayer and medication to follow.

This evening at 7 PM there will be a hymn singing in the park across from the Church. Bring a blanket and come prepared to sin.
    -
    -------------------------
    Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM. Please use the
    back door.

Very cute. I can make effective roses from tomato skins and water lilies from radishes (immersed in chilled water once cut) but think maybe many here can do that?

I can make the tomato roses. I once saw a bouquet of different colored roses using the skin from different fruits and veggies. Scallion tops for the long stems. Flat parsley for the leaves. Very pretty. Too ambitious for me though. And to expensive. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom