"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #7461
Sous Chef

The allergist we go to in Omaha is also a semi retired professor at UCLA. He goes back and forth to LA and Omaha. Hell of a commute. He claimed he moved to Omaha and opened a practice because he wanted to be in a "small town".

Anyway back to the point. He said do not give him anything he is allergic to even in small doses. It does not good making him break out all the time and just makes him miserable. Try a small dose once a year or every 6 months but not like a little bit once a week. Let his body grow and mature more. Then give him a little bit.

We didn't get epi pens because by the time we had the quinoa incident they were $700 for a pack of 2. If you pay cash they were around $500 but run through insurance its $700. I knew insurance would not pay but it would come off the deductible but I don't have 500 laying around let alone the 700. The pharmacy wont take payments. So we just be extra careful. That was the only thing so far that's really given us a scare.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #7462
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post

We didn't get epi pens because by the time we had the quinoa incident they were $700 for a pack of 2. If you pay cash they were around $500 but run through insurance its $700. I knew insurance would not pay but it would come off the deductible but I don't have 500 laying around let alone the 700. The pharmacy wont take payments. So we just be extra careful. That was the only thing so far that's really given us a scare.
It really makes me angry that the price for epi pens is so high that any kid should go without. This is just greed on the part of the company making them. They apparently cost ~$80 in Canada. I came across this article, which lists some safe ways to get them cheaper in the US.

Don't Order EpiPens From Canada - Consumer Reports
Old 11-10-2016, 02:29 AM   #7463
Chef Extraordinaire

Meeting up with tinlizzie for lunch!
Old 11-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #7464
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I hope you gave her a hug from me...
Old 11-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #7465
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
It was definitely my pleasure, as well as a privilege to be face to face with one of the rock-solid foundations of DC.

Thanks for making space for me in your limited vacay-time.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #7466
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Last thing that made you smile?

Eagerly anticipating the John Prine concert tomorrow!! "And You May See Me Tonight With an Illegal Smile...".
Old 11-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #7467
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One of my former students, who caused me a lot of grief while I protected him and his brother from the nastiness of administration and teachers who didn't understand poverty, will benefit from our first world priviledge. I'm giving him our 20 lb turkey that I have no idea what to do with. Looking forward to seeing him tomorrow!! Love my boys! And I am thrilled to pieces that they both got good jobs!!
Old 11-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #7468
Chef Extraordinaire

That's awesome, Dawg. I'm sure he'll really appreciate it! I love a good kid success story.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:19 PM   #7469
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

He was smart as a whip. Now he's a dad of three wonderful girls and a lovely boy. Steps. And apparently he did not listen to my instruction in birth control.

I did what I could. The family was poor as churchmice. Now my boys have good jobs, diplomas, and I could not be more proud if they were my own sons! Dang, that was a struggle!
Old 11-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #7470
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
He was smart as a whip. Now he's a dad of three wonderful girls and a lovely boy. Steps. And apparently he did not listen to my instruction in birth control.

I did what I could. The family was poor as churchmice. Now my boys have good jobs, diplomas, and I could not be more proud if they were my own sons! Dang, that was a struggle!
Well, I can tell you that you have put a smile on my face. I love success stories that involve children. No matter how old the kids are. They are all still just "our kids."
Old 11-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #7471
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well, I can tell you that you have put a smile on my face. I love success stories that involve children. No matter how old the kids are. They are all still just "our kids."

Oh, Addie, the stories I could tell. I took their cigarettes and lighters from them every morning and stuffed them in my pockets. One of them had a grill lighter for his cigs. Thankfully I had big pockets. "Give me that!" Then I gave them back when school was over. They lived in a tiny 15x12 cinderblock shack that wasn't meant to be lived in by humans.

Many gay kids came out to to me before they came out to their friends or parents. (I'm a school psychologist, in case anyone's wondering.)
Old 11-13-2016, 04:47 AM   #7472
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm glad they had you Dawg.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #7473
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I am so proud! We dropped the turkey off to my former student, and had a wonderful visit. His oldest daughter is now in college, and getting her degree. Their other kids are doing well in school. They're living in a really nice house, and have good jobs. My head is so swollen, I think it may burst. I was told many times that I was wasting my time working with these kids. I did not waste my time.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #7474
Master Chef

Dawg.....
Old 11-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #7475
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I am so proud! We dropped the turkey off to my former student, and had a wonderful visit. His oldest daughter is now in college, and getting her degree. Their other kids are doing well in school. They're living in a really nice house, and have good jobs. My head is so swollen, I think it may burst. I was told many times that I was wasting my time working with these kids. I did not waste my time.
Anytime spent with a child in never wasted. Not even five minutes. Knowing that there is even one person who cares can make all the difference to them.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #7476
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Anytime spent with a child in never wasted. Not even five minutes. Knowing that there is even one person who cares can make all the difference to them.

I worked with a misguided, neglected child with an attitude. I met a man today. I made a difference, and that matters.

And I gave him a turkey! Had to instruct him to remove the giblets from both ends, but oh well. I am so proud!
Old 11-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #7477
Executive Chef

I'm proud to know you Dawg. Thanks for making the world a better place.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:40 PM   #7478
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks Bliss! Heh. My student's cousin blew up their concrete bunker with a meth lab. It's not there anymore.

Oh well. My kid is doing fine.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:24 AM   #7479
Master Chef

Quote:
Had to instruct him to remove the giblets from both ends, but oh well. I am so proud!
He wouldn't be the first person to carve a turkey and find a surprise in the neck cavity. I think that's why now-a-days you usually find them in a parchment paper bag and not a plastic one.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:24 AM   #7480
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
One of my former students, who caused me a lot of grief while I protected him and his brother from the nastiness of administration and teachers who didn't understand poverty, will benefit from our first world priviledge...
Quote:
I am so proud!...I was told many times that I was wasting my time working with these kids. I did not waste my time.
Dawg, you rock! Had it not been for you, your students might have also been making meth. Instead of giving him a turkey, he might have been a "turkey". You done good!

Tonight's sunset with the super moon rising in the sky. Lovely.