Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last thing that made me smile is the rain that is happening right now and the lovely cool change it has bought with it :)

You guys are all a trip!

My milkweed planting is pretty sparse and I was actually surprised to see caterpillars this season. Hope they have enough to eat.

I have a Dutchman's Pipe vine in a pot but can't decide where to plant it. They grow into a pretty hefty plant and I don't want to stifle it. It has an interesting bloom with a pretty nasty smell, but is supposed to attract butterflies -- the black swallowtail, I think.

I'm hoping to get a Passionflower Vine as well but have limited space in full sun, which is part of the problem with the Pipe vine. I'm not sure I can overcome this, but have a "pipe dream" of putting up supports in the yard, much like those in a vineyard.

tin, your talk of fuzzy caterpillars and butterflies makes me smile whenever i think of it, and when i picture you feeding the caterpillars. and then, this morning, you reveal all these plans you have to plant and stake an entire garden for them! (big grin)
it's really a shame that some of our less desirable insects and other creepy little creatures can't get dressed up in soft fuzzy coats and colorful stripes. can you imagine all the love and petting they are missing out on, just for being ugly, scary and disgusting?:)
i don't think anything that grows on my patio will attract any caterpillars, but i do wonder what i might use to lure miniature albino toads to my lair. last summer, this whitish little toad, no bigger than my thumbnail, spent a number of days hanging out on my patio-- sometimes in a geranium pot, sunning himself on the balcony rail, or a lawn chair, weather permitting. got sorta attached to the little guy. i don't know what sort of things he liked to eat. do i need to buy another geranium plant, or....?

Last edited:
tin, your talk of fuzzy caterpillars and butterflies makes me smile whenever i think of it, and when i picture you feeding the caterpillars. and then, this morning, you reveal all these plans you have to plant and stake an entire garden for them! (big grin)
it's really a shame that some of our less desirable insects and other creepy little creatures can't get dressed up in soft fuzzy coats and colorful stripes. can you imagine all the love and petting they are missing out on, just for being ugly, scary and disgusting?:)
i don't think anything that grows on my patio will attract any caterpillars, but i do wonder what i might use to lure miniature albino toads to my lair. last summer, this whitish little toad, no bigger than my thumbnail, spent a number of days hanging out on my patio-- sometimes in a geranium pot, sunning himself on the balcony rail, or a lawn chair, weather permitting. got sorta attached to the little guy. i don't know what sort of things he liked to eat. do i need to buy another geranium plant, or....?
Sounds adorable. Get pix next time you see one, please.

Almost all adult frogs (toads are frogs) are carnivorous and eat just about anything in the animal kingdom small enough to get in their mouths. Insects are high on the list.

The last thing that made me smile, was how much my 3 yr old granddaughter loved her
" princess" play tent and how when this nana with a pinched nerve and a muscle spasm crawled into the tent with her she covered me up and said "there Nana, does your back feel all better now? You take a nap, you will feel better."

The last thing that made me smile, was how much my 3 yr old granddaughter loved her
" princess" play tent and how when this nana with a pinched nerve and a muscle spasm crawled into the tent with her she covered me up and said "there Nana, does your back feel all better now? You take a nap, you will feel better."
SB how wonderrful, your granddaughter loves you so much. I feel so good for you. I do know that feeeling and it makes you whole body smile. Go give her a big hug for me. She is a treasure.
kades

Thank you ma. What would we do without those little treasures? I have to share another sweet thing that made me smile.....I have a friend who has never met my daughter nor my grandchildren, yet she has sent a lovely gift to the girls on their 1st birthday. When I was explaining to 3yr old Sophia that Nana's friend had sent the gift to Chloe for her birthday and the special candy to her, and that Nana's friend didn't have any little granddaughters of her own, this little angel said "yes she does Nana, she has me and Chloe!" You just have to love the simplicity of the way a 3 year old thinks! In truth it not only made me smile, but I am weeping as
I write this, but they are tears of joy! :)

Sb, I saw the play tent on the other thread (what else are you making) it's so clever! No wonder she loves it and no doubt will for a long time.

You can probably grow in a patio pot some kind of plant or vine that the butterflies will love you for, lay eggs upon, and grow you some caterpillars. Nice to think about in the dead of winter. I wonder if your little white toad grew up into a big white toad. When the hurricane shutters were up last summer, the Cuban tree frogs would crawl up onto the back side to spend the day. There were once 7 of them there, napping I guess. The cats liked that.

Another favorite is a preying mantis. Cool, man! :cool:

Thank you ma. What would we do without those little treasures? I have to share another sweet thing that made me smile.....I have a friend who has never met my daughter nor my grandchildren, yet she has sent a lovely gift to the girls on their 1st birthday. When I was explaining to 3yr old Sophia that Nana's friend had sent the gift to Chloe for her birthday and the special candy to her, and that Nana's friend didn't have any little granddaughters of her own, this little angel said "yes she does Nana, she has me and Chloe!" You just have to love the simplicity of the way a 3 year old thinks! In truth it not only made me smile, but I am weeping as
I write this, but they are tears of joy! :)
Oh you are so lucky the girls are indeed little angels. Yes they have a way of making you understand life and how important it is to love and enjoy are children and grandchildren.
ma

Kylie, I hope Australia gets a really heavy downpour in the areas it is needed so desperately. :angel:

Thanks Ads....it was a fabulous amount of rain yesterday all around Adelaide...I just hope they are getting it around the fire areas too

Uh oh. I can only spot two of the three striped caterpillars on the milkweeds. I seem to remember that birds don't eat them, though, because the milkweed makes them taste bad. Maybe he's just well-hidden.

Uh oh. I can only spot two of the three striped caterpillars on the milkweeds. I seem to remember that birds don't eat them, though, because the milkweed makes them taste bad. Maybe he's just well-hidden.

I don't remember which is which, but the Viceroy and Monarch are very similar in coloring and appearance. Mother' Nature's way of protection. One of them is very bitter to birds. And so is the catapillar. A factoid I learned in the eigth grade. If my memory serves me well, that is about the time the earth was being formed along with dirt. :angel:

:LOL: Good one, Addie.

I found one of the caterpillars this morning -- his nether end is attached to a nearby stem of bougainvillea and he appears to be curling up. Perhaps a blessed event is in his/her future; yes, the complete change from a caterpillar to a beautiful flying creature is a blessed event if I ever saw one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom