Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All the teenagers and young adults I came into contact with while shopping today. Well, yesterday. They were all polite, but a couple of them went out of their way (one was even off-shift at the time) and were so very nice I walked out of grocery shopping thinking that there is great hope for the generation coming up today. You see so many negative stories on the news...even, sometimes, in your own neighborhood. But today made me feel good about youth.

Buckytom;Youth are often awarded for their scholastic achievements, but The American Legion believes they should also be praised when they demonstrate strong qualities of character and good citizenship. That's why, since 1926, the Legion has recognized such students with its School Award Medal Program.
In 1921, the Department of Pennsylvania created the School Award Medal Program for the purpose of instilling character and helping perpetuate the ideals of Americanism among youth. The award is given to a boy and a girl in the graduating classes of elementary school, junior and senior high school, and college. Those who receive a medal must exemplify six qualities that define character: courage, honor, leadership, patriotism, scholarship and service.
Candidates for the award are voted upon by a school's faculty and members of the candidates graduating class through a secret ballot casting. The local Legion post involved with the school makes the final selection upon receiving recommendation from students and faculty. Each awardee receives a certificate and a medal with the six qualities listed on the face of the medal, as the back bares the Marine Corps motto, "Semper Fidelis" ("always faithful").

wow, joann. that's really quite an accomplishment. congrats once again.

After an all-day out of town meeting, I'm done with work for the summer! (leaps around and dances, gracefully knocking over a lamp)

"doona", is that the same as a Danish/Swedish/Norwegian "dyne"? What we call a duvet in Canada?

I have actually always called them a quilt, but on all the packaging they are now called Doonas...yes it is what you have on the bed, you put a cover on it and it keeps you so snug and warm :)

Yes, it is like your duvet :)

Lightning Bugs .. they are back. I love those things and always just can't wait for them to show up. The hummingbirds came back today too. We have 4 baby robins in the nest on the front porch, the baby cardinals are beginning to hunt on their own, the finches have begun bringing their babies around, the chipmunk came out of hiding yesterday .. it's like a mini zoo around here today !

my boy saw a lightning bug tonight, too, mrs.

just to see how, in the middle of discussions of so many other things going on in his life (baseball, school, etc.) as we arrived home, he stopped and stooped to see it flash again like it was the only thing in the world at that moment that was important. :)

that made me smile.

my boy and i went to see a game of our old team from last year (6, 7, and 8 year olds) and i was suprised at how many hugs, kisses, and heartfelt handshakes we got from all of the parents whise kids were still on the team. it was nice to see my old coach run his team as well. he's such a great guy, donating so much time to the littlest of baseball players, ensuring they have a lifetime love of the game right from the start. so many coaches as well as parents could learn a lesson or two from him.

i was blessed to gave him as my boy's first coach, and my first head coach and mentor.

i can't wait until their end of the season party. i'm going to offer to cook a few things for it, probably sausages and meatballs, and (my dreaded) braised pulled pork.

This.

Back in January I bought a pretty miniature rose at Kroger. It was an impulse purchase but it was a bright spot in a dreary, wintry day. At any rate, I took care of it, on a table inside near the front doors, and brought it outside when I figured it would survive, put it in a bigger pot and let have lots and lots of nice sunshine.

Well, it's done more than survive. It is thriving. I pruned it back a bit to tidy it up and, just for the heck of it, jammed one of the cuttings back into the pot. The cutting has taken root and is now producing new foliage. Looks like I'll have two roses.

In any case, the rose is blooming today, with another bloom right behind ready to show off. Isn't it a sweet thing?

Attachments

• 004 - Copy (3).jpg
    004 - Copy (3).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 151
I love roses. When I lived in Malden, I bought a rose bush and planted it. It was the kind that grows along fences. I went by the house last year and the whole fence is now covered with roses. :angel:

So pretty, Katie. And those mini roses are hardy little things. I've got them all over, planted directly in the ground, and they do really well in our (rather harsh) climate. They're not grafted and are tougher and less finicky than the hybrid teas.

This.

Back in January I bought a pretty miniature rose at Kroger. It was an impulse purchase but it was a bright spot in a dreary, wintry day. At any rate, I took care of it, on a table inside near the front doors, and brought it outside when I figured it would survive, put it in a bigger pot and let have lots and lots of nice sunshine.

Well, it's done more than survive. It is thriving. I pruned it back a bit to tidy it up and, just for the heck of it, jammed one of the cuttings back into the pot. The cutting has taken root and is now producing new foliage. Looks like I'll have two roses.

In any case, the rose is blooming today, with another bloom right behind ready to show off. Isn't it a sweet thing?

so pretty, and I adore the color. yes, it is a sweet thing, katie. you are a sweet thing, katie....:)

Got an e-mail from my sister last night, she was finally calming down after a rather frantic day. A customer hit the floor, wasn't breathing and had no pulse, Sis says she doesn't remember getting down the ladder, but suddenly she was doing hands only CPR. The guy is fin and in the hospital, a couple of broken ribs. Sounds like with the broken ribs she was doing it right! I'm very proud of her!

Back in January I bought a pretty miniature rose at Kroger.....In any case, the rose is blooming today, with another bloom right behind ready to show off. Isn't it a sweet thing?

Katie, that is so pretty! Never thought that I could put them outside though. Hm, learn sumthin' new every day!

Got an e-mail from my sister last night, she was finally calming down after a rather frantic day. A customer hit the floor, wasn't breathing and had no pulse, Sis says she doesn't remember getting down the ladder, but suddenly she was doing hands only CPR. The guy is fin and in the hospital, a couple of broken ribs. Sounds like with the broken ribs she was doing it right! I'm very proud of her!

If you break the person's rib you did it right? :ohmy: Considering the alternative, though, it's a small pain to put up with. That's really neat that your sis reacted so quickly. Guess helping people runs in the family. ;)

One of the side effects of properly administering CPR.

Many years ago I heard of a patient suing the private citizen that administered CPR because his ribs were broken. Geesh!

Back
Top Bottom