Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was in the living room earlier to tell Himself that, guess what popped up on OUR TV news, Dawg? :LOL: This story is getting more mileage than that kid drove!

I call BS, Addie. The Registry does not have the authority to issue traffic citations, just local and state police.

Not that he's an expert, but Himself said he would think that if you did call the Registry they would refer you to your own local police. It would then be up to the police department as to whether or not they wanted to station a patrol to catch people who run stop signs. I suppose I could verify this with Chief Steve the next time I'm at the town hall...except I'll have forgotten by then. Whatevah.

No, they would refer it to the State Police. They have an office of Troopers in the Main Registry office in Quincy. Also at least one officer in each regional office. I send mine to Quincy. Remember, my daughter worked for the Registry in the Administration Department in Quincy for more than 30 years. She is the one who gave me the information and the Officer's name that I should send it to directly. My daughter was, aside from the paper work, was also the one the State Police called when they had a "Want and Warrant" call for a stopped car.

Keep in mind that All traffic laws are governed by the State. Cities and towns even have to get to determine one way streets with the State's permission on the recommendation of the local law officials.

My point, Addie, was that I cannot believe an authority fines someone based on a report by a "concerned citizen". That's hearsay, your word against the driver. Without observation by or visual proof such as a video for the police (local or state), it would be an entire beehive of problems for a state authority to fine people with reckless abandon. Lawyers would be all over something like that. You can't punish people on someone else's word.

OK, back to things that make people smile...

Himself and I were smiling when we came out of the play. It was slow, in parts, and a couple of actors were a little stiff, but then our friend Billy DID come out as the waiter. :LOL: Over and over, as he was a different waiter in a different restaurant about six times. OMG, we were rolling in our seats! :ROFLMAO: His performance(s) were worth the price of admission. After that, we stopped at Applebee's and actually enjoyed our food. 'Twasn't bad, for a chain.

But the very best, smiley-est part of the night? We had a taste for ice cream, but at midnight you can't find anything much open around here but a major, 24-hour grocery store. That was OK, because they carry some quality brands. While browsing between quality (Graeter's Bourbon Pecan Chocolate Chip) or quantity (Friendly's Natural Chocolate Peanut Butter). I got to talking to the young man (maybe about 30 years old or so) next to us, telling him that the Graeter's was so rich he'd eat less than a serving's worth. He asked if they had anything that was chocolate ice cream, not just chips. Nope, they didn't. After a little more back-and-forth, he made his choice and we made ours. But...my eyes kept going back to the chocolate PB because I also had a taste for chocolate. Heck, the weather is getting warmer, they were both on sale...so we picked two. Get to the check-out, my new best friend is just finishing up as we get there. I put them down laughing, saying we decided on both quality AND quantity. When he's ready to leave, he slips a $20 to the cashier and walking away quickly says "this will take care of my new friends here". And off he goes! :ohmy: OhMyGosh, I was just so surprised! The $20 was way more than enough, so as we're leaving the register area I say to the cashier "use what is left for the next people coming up behind us" and Himself and I skedaddle before they get too close. The cashier winked and said "sure will", smiling at our conspiracy.

When we got to the parking lot, our benefactor was just pulling down the aisle. He stopped, we shook hands and I told him about the change, and we each went our own way.

Now my new mission is to figure out how I can create my own random acts of kindness. Since I charge everything and don't go to coffee shops (so I can't do the cup-for-the-next-guy kinda thing) I need to come up with my own shtick. ;)

Aww. Sweet!

This cracked me up yesterday morning. We were walking back to our hotel, and just before we got across the street, DH lost the sole from the bottom of one of his beloved Keens sandals. DH LOVES his Keens sandals. He even wears them to work with socks in the winter (???). He's flipping out as no fewer than 10 cars run over the lost sole before he's able to retrieve it. "Dawg! They're running over my shoe!" Like I could step into the middle of the road and direct traffic. The staff at the restaurant across the street got to witness the episode as well, and were cracking up too.

He took them to a father/son shoe repair shop a few blocks away, they do great repairs for very little money, and should be good as new soon. So now he's wearing my Tevas, that luckily have adjustable velcro straps. And apparently they're no longer MY Tevas. His toes hang over the end. The things we do for love.

I was smiling reading the last few posts here, Dawg, Taxy , and CG!

I have to give a little background before my smile moment. I was scheduled to have surgery on my hernia back in March and got bumped. Then it was set for May 5th and they said it was set in stone. I was actually disappointed because May 5th is the premiere of the new "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie. But I wanted the surgery over with. Well, it was canceled again.

What's there to smile about? TB still has the day off for the surgery so he is taking me to a matinee of the movie. He said that either way he was going to make sure I was "in stitches" on the 5th! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
So the ceiling fan chain that broke the other day required a new switch, so while he was out getting that, he picked up this cute set of light and fan pulls. I smile every time I look up in the kitchen [emoji2] :wub:
0429171510_HDR.jpg

So the ceiling fan chain that broke the other day required a new switch, so while he was out getting that, he picked up this cute set of light and fan pulls. I smile every time I look up in the kitchen [emoji2] :wub:
View attachment 26751

Well it makes it easy to tell which is which for the um memory challenged among us. At least if they were put on correctly.

Love the ceiling fan pulls, GG! Mine are more like puzzles: I have a baseball mitt for the light because the globe is round, and the pull for the fan is a flower with five petals because the fan has five blades. ;) Works for me!

Very cute ceiling fan/light pulls, GG! I love those. If my fans didn't have remotes, I would be very tempted to go see if Home Depot has any! :wub:

Sounds like a really fun evening at the play, CG! Glad your friend who played the waiter brought so many smiles. Who knows, maybe he'll end up on Broadway! :cool::)

The RAK's were nice to read about, too. I need to do that more often in one way or another.

CG, you could start carrying a bit of cash....

...One or two dollars will seldom break someone's bank. Even the residents of this building who are on fixed incomes, have been known to perform RAKs.
I usually do have some cash with me. However, the chance to do what happened to me is nil most of the time since I'm shopping during a busier time of day. I'm a pretty kind person; however, I'm not so generous as to pick up the tab for the person behind me when they're doing a full week's worth, too! Besides, a random act of kindness doesn't have to involve money. ;)

Now to toss cold water on my story, check out what I realized about the cashier who winked at me conspiratorially when I told him to use the change for the next customer who was coming up behind us: Petty Vents. If I had taken a good look at the clerk so I could identify him again, I might consider a Random Act of Bonking. :glare:

I am smiling because while packing I found something that I thought was long lost...my grandmother's engagement ring. It has a single solitaire on a gold band. I thought I had lost it years ago before I was married (the first time).

I had two very large cats, Sherbrooke and Seymore. Seymore had a habit of knocking things off my dresser. The ring was on there instead of in my jewelry box because my fingers swell and I often have to take them off (my wedding ring is off right now but safely tucked away).

What I guessed had happened was that Sherbrooke had knocked it off and it went into the garbage can beside the bed. I was heartbroken. That was 35 years ago.

So where was it all this time (7 moves, different furniture, and different clothes)?

I was cleaning out my clothing drawers of what to keep and what to give/throw away.

I have a T-shirt from Terry Fox's original Marathon of Hope Run which he signed for me for working on the fundraiser. I only wore it at the office we used and then put it away in my drawer. It got moved from drawer to drawer over the years and I had no idea that in the fold was a buried treasure...my ring! I unfolded the shirt to look at the signature of my dear friend and out popped the ring.

Thanks, Terry!

Back
Top Bottom