A few things I don't recommend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
using apple cider vinegar for a substitute ingredient. I have seen it recommended many times to use it as a sub but I find it is too strong and dominates the whole recipe. Also I cooked a recipe with beer as one ingredient and do not recommend that---didnt taste right.

Beer is an ingredient I use regularly. I use it in chili, many braised dishes and its very important for several rice dishes.
Apple cider vinegar is very important for my Southern BBQ sauce, and some other dishes.
I never say never when it comes to cooking. Both have a prominent role in many things I cook.
Its an ingredient, not a substitute.

using apple cider vinegar for a substitute ingredient. I have seen it recommended many times to use it as a sub but I find it is too strong and dominates the whole recipe. Also I cooked a recipe with beer as one ingredient and do not recommend that---didnt taste right.

What did you substitute the vinegar for? Did you use the same amount?

I substitute apple cider vinegar for wine vinegar or white vinegar all the time. It hasn't been a problem for us.

I have used beer in braises and it's good. I don't do it often, because we don't often drink beer and don't always have it at home. Just as when cooking with wine, you want a nice tasting beer or wine or it can ruin a dish. I learned that with wine. I had some wine that was barely okay. I used it to make coq au vin, which I had made many times before and enjoyed. It didn't make the dish inedible, but it really wasn't very good with the barely okay wine. It was the only thing I changed.

I substitute apple cider vinegar for wine vinegar or white vinegar all the time. It hasn't been a problem for us.

I have used beer in braises and it's good. I don't do it often, because we don't often drink beer and don't always have it at home. Just as when cooking with wine, you want a nice tasting beer or wine or it can ruin a dish. I learned that with wine. I had some wine that was barely okay. I used it to make coq au vin, which I had made many times before and enjoyed. It didn't make the dish inedible, but it really wasn't very good with the barely okay wine. It was the only thing I changed.

I do the same.

Ross

I absolutely agree!!! :clap: I completely ruined my BBQ sauce with that stuff and I never drink alcohol so beer is out. When I did try it, it was awful. I hated hops and malt both. Couldn't stand those malted milk ball as a kid and malted milk either. YUK!

I absolutely agree!!! :clap: I completely ruined my BBQ sauce with that stuff and I never drink alcohol so beer is out. When I did try it, it was awful. I hated hops and malt both. Couldn't stand those malted milk ball as a kid and malted milk either. YUK!

yup, yechhh

BBQ sauce without vinegar is a rare bird. Granted, too much vinegar can run dish. Maybe it's just a matter of amount.

Beer is an ingredient I use regularly. I use it in chili, many braised dishes and its very important for several rice dishes.
Apple cider vinegar is very important for my Southern BBQ sauce, and some other dishes.
I never say never when it comes to cooking. Both have a prominent role in many things I cook.
Its an ingredient, not a substitute.

Ok I give in. I won't discount it yet. Maybe a few more tries before I make a decision.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to put cider vinegar on my shopping list.

Ya know, some of us are chefs, most of us are experienced cooks and all of us are experienced eaters, and we would never make a blanket statement like that. We all have our particular likes and dislikes and would never suggest that everyone should partake or not partake of any specific food item. For example, I hate cucumbers with a passion, but I would never even suggest that no one in here should eat cucumbers because they taste like watermelon rind. I also love anchovies, but would never try to convince anyone else to share my anchovy pizza.

I have used Guiness in my fish batter and saw or tasted no problems. I think you have an affliction for alcohol and/or strong flavours. When the recipe calls for cider vinegar, use white or rice vinegar. If the recipe calls for beer, use sparkling water instead.

If you want a substitute for apple cider vinegar, try pomegranate balsamic vinegar, especially in barbecue sauce. It is not only delicious, but it is kosher, just in case you know someone who is following kashrut or halal dietary laws.

<<For example, I hate cucumbers with a passion, but I would never even suggest that no one in here should eat cucumbers because they taste like watermelon rind. >>

I would have never thought to eat watermelon rind, until someone served "bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind" at some event or another and I didn't know what I was eating, until I commented about how good it was and inquired about it.

don't overlook the possibility that the OP got some super ueber 'artisan' cider vinegar that is better used to dissolve granite boulders....

that kind of thing has happened to me - curious looking 'stuff' - heh I'll try it - oops....

I would have never thought to eat watermelon rind, until someone served "bacon wrapped pickled watermelon rind" at some event or another and I didn't know what I was eating, until I commented about how good it was and inquired about it.

It was probably at a county fair. They do really weird things to food at county fairs.

I've made pickled watermelon rind. It's great with smoked pulled pork shoulder [emoji39] It never occurred to me to wrap it in bacon, but it sounds pretty good.

Apple cider vinegar is always going to taste of apples - or cider - so you have to think of the flavour profiles. Same goes with Sherry vinegar, or malt vinegar.
If you use white vinegar or wine vinegar, you´re not going to miss the mark by much,although I´d say RED wine vinegar could be a little invasive.
As for beer; well beer is not just beer. you´ll get different flavour profiles from IPA, Pilsen, Weissbier, stout, etc. Chicken with weissbier and oranges is phenomenal; a beef stew with Guiness, fish with pilsen - even carrots cooked with amber ale! I´ve got a great recipe (somewhere) for Hungarian sausages (Dbreziner) cooked in pilsen and red peppers.
That´s where your taste memory comes into play.

Back
Top Bottom