A question about paprika and freshness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
often you can buy here paprika with oil in it.
compared to regular paprika it will stay fresh much less?
what if it is stored in the fridge?

I wonder if the oil is to keep its flavor, instead of it just being released into the air? I have never seen that before, even long ago in those Hungarian stores in NY - the first places I found real paprika!

I always keep my paprika in Foodsaver packs - the flavor keeps pretty much forever in those, and I just refill jars from them, and reseal them. I used to keep it in ziplocs, but in the freezer. If you don't use it very often, maybe keep a jar in the fridge, and if it was the oiled type, I'd definitely keep it in the fridge.

Pepperhead, I haven't seen it with oil either. And I would be someone that would notice, since we don't use things with added oil, hence don't buy them.

For peppers, either dried/dehydrated, frozen fresh, or even canned in pieces or pepper sauce, peppers do well all kinds of ways. None uses oil though.

Maybe the oil is to make sure the oil soluble flavours get into the food. I read that you shouldn't sauté paprika, because it burns too easily. That one should always add it after any other spices have been sautéed, off the heat and only put the pot back on heat after more ingredients have been added.

thanks
it costs the same btw

the color of the regular paprika is much much brighter

they usually use the oil paprika for morocan fish sauce

Back
Top Bottom