A question of spices in savory cooking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For spices (and herbs) I use a lot in no particular order,
Black pepper
cumin
ground chiles
Chili powder
Several different masalas (Indian spice blends)
coriander
oregano
basil
thyme
bay
cinnamon
nutmeg
paprika
herbes de provence
I'm sure there are more.

Dislike:
CLOVES!!!
cilantro

Would like to try,

Don't know

chili flakes, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric, cayenne, cloves, saffron, cardamom, coriander seed.

chili flakes, many kinds, in many Italian and Latino dishes for just a touch of heat. Cumin in hummus, chili, etc. Cinnamon in Greek tomato based dishes, as well as Cincinnati chili and many Indian dishes, nutmeg is wonderful with spinach, parsnips, carrots, and with sherry cream sauce for a Tetrazini, turmeric for many curries or just to "yellow up" a rice dish when I don't want saffron, cayenne is a regular for heat in curries and chilies, cloves are perfect with ham with an orange-Dijon glaze and many curries, saffron for paella and bouillabaisse, coriander goes in chili and curries, and cardamom is essential in feijoada. Of course black pepper and pepper blends get used a lot.

Paprika (I almost forgot!) and smoked paprika in many dishes. Many herbs, but you asked about spices.

Last edited:
OMG! Friday burn out for sure. Fennel seed, ground or crushed, great with pasta sauces, pork, and with many fish. OK that's it until i have another epiphany. :)

For spices (and herbs) I use a lot in no particular order,
Black pepper
cumin
ground chiles
Chili powder
Several different masalas (Indian spice blends)
coriander
oregano
basil
thyme
bay
cinnamon
nutmeg
paprika
herbes de provence
I'm sure there are more.

Dislike:
CLOVES!!!
cilantro

Would like to try,

Don't know

I'm with you on the cloves - Blech! But, I do like cilantro.

The spices I use the most are:
Smoked Paprika
Chili Powder
Cumin Powder
Garlic Powder
Toasted Onion Powder
Basil
Black pepper
Chili flakes
Herbes de Provence
Fines herbes
Lemon pepper
Cinnamon

I'd like to try smoked black pepper, although I've already tried black pepper with natural smoke flavor, which I like a lot.

The list would be way too long.;) Do you make spice/herb blends in batches to freeze? I like to make Thai curry pastes and freeze them in Ice cube trays for later use. Once frozen they get stored in plastic bags.

Craig

Last edited:
The list would be way too long.;) Do you make spice/herb blends in batches to freeze? I like to make Thai curry pastes and freeze them in Ice cube trays for later use. Once frozen they get stored in plastic bags.

Craig

I do that with curry pastes and with pesto, etc.

What I like to use is pretty much everything, so it is easier to say what I don't like.

1. AMEN on the cloves, pewwwww.
2. Ginger in ANY form. Something about the taste is just off to me.

What I would like to use? Everything eventually, at least once! Frontrunners are:
1. Different Masalas-thanks Andy for bringing that one up, have always wanted to try them.
2. Saffron-I've never cooked with it, but I am feeling a paella adventure in my future, so I hope to use it soon!
3. Lavendar-I know it is in the herbs de provence that I use regularly, but I have never used it on its own legs. The thought of flowers as a seasoning slightly freaks me out, lol.
4. Different curries-I've never played with curries, excited to experiment with them.

Back
Top Bottom