Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
Hello. I am new here. I signed up to get some opinions for my recipe. For Easter I make a Slovak recipe called Sirac, or Easter Cheese. You combine eggs, milk, salt and sugar and stir over a low heat until the whey separates and curds form. You pour it into cheese cloth and form a ball. Then you hang it somewhere to let it drain and then refrigerate. It looks like a ball of cheddar cheese and you slice it like cheese to serve. It's a little similar to making egg custard. My question is, can I make this using egg beaters? Since they are just egg whites, will they still curdle with the milk? I thought that might be healthier than using all those eggs. I normally use a dozen eggs to a quart of milk.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Carol

This sounds like the same thing as Hrutka, which is an eastern European custard cheese (it can be made in both sweet and savory versions).

I don't know the answer for certain because I've never made it, but my hunch is that it won't be the same with Egg Beaters. The Egg Beaters product is mostly whites, and the yolks are what's needed in order to make custard. With EB, I think your going to end up with something the consistency of scrambled eggs.

But I think the only way you are going to know for certain is to try it.

If it's a special recipe, my family enjoys it and I make it only for special occasions, I would make it according to tradition. New research says eggs are healthier than once thought. If you are determined, try making a 1/2 recipe and remove some of the yokes. Some times good health is helped from happy family traditions.

Yes, I think you are both correct now that I think about it. Yolks would be needed to make it form the custard, and, since it is something that's only made around Easter, I probably shouldn't worry about the egg yolks in it. I eat a lot of it though. I really like it and I like to eat it with Beets with Horseradish on top of it. Yum!

Carol

Yes, I think you are both correct now that I think about it. Yolks would be needed to make it form the custard, and, since it is something that's only made around Easter, I probably shouldn't worry about the egg yolks in it. I eat a lot of it though. I really like it and I like to eat it with Beets with Horseradish on top of it. Yum!

Carol

Oh boy .. where is Snip ?!?!?!?! This is right up her alley !

Sounds really good .. never had heard of this before.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom