Am I REALLY not allowed to stuff the turkey?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
America's Test Kitchen had an excellent segment on 10-steps to the perfect turkey. One tip was to line the cavity with cheese cloth and put 2 c of stuffing there, tie the cheese cloth. Start the turkey breast down. When it reaches 130, flip it and ake out the cheese cloth sack. Continue cooking the bird until the temp is 161. Mix the stuffing that was in the pouch with the rest of the stuffing and finish in the oven while the turkey is resting. I imagine you can find the segment on ATK's web site.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all the tips and tricks! I swear imma give myself a stroke worrying about this, I just want it to be perfect. So obnoxiously perfect that when my mom takes a bite of my turkey, she says "Meh". Which would mean that the heavens have opened and rained gold upon us, ha.

One of you mentioned a counter-top roaster, which I have been considering. I am short on oven space, and am already cooking at minimum my ham on the grill. I learned that the grill can be used as an oven during a power stealing wind storm a few years ago that happened one hour after I put two chickens in the oven to roast. I have been researching the roasters, and they seem to be very helpful in providing additional faux oven space. However, my main concern with them has been their ability to provide a perfectly browned bird? I think that with all the techniques and recipes that my obsessive research/you lovely people have provided will give me a tasty bird, but dam it I want it to be pretty too! A pale turkey will be a bullet in the gun for my mom, God love her.

Lisa, you will be fine! We've all been there! Don't overthink it, the best part is time with family! (or not...)

And when in doubt, get out the blowtorch. For the skin, I mean.

And don't forget to take the giblets out of the cavities.

Last edited:
lisaluvstocook said:
Thank you guys for all the tips and tricks! I swear imma give myself a stroke worrying about this, I just want it to be perfect. So obnoxiously perfect that when my mom takes a bite of my turkey, she says "Meh". Which would mean that the heavens have opened and rained gold upon us, ha.

One of you mentioned a counter-top roaster, which I have been considering. I am short on oven space, and am already cooking at minimum my ham on the grill. I learned that the grill can be used as an oven during a power stealing wind storm a few years ago that happened one hour after I put two chickens in the oven to roast. I have been researching the roasters, and they seem to be very helpful in providing additional faux oven space. However, my main concern with them has been their ability to provide a perfectly browned bird? I think that with all the techniques and recipes that my obsessive research/you lovely people have provided will give me a tasty bird, but dam it I want it to be pretty too! A pale turkey will be a bullet in the gun for my mom, God love her.

Take deep breaths and try to relax. Trying too hard and over stressing will only make things more difficult. It sounds like you've done your research and have all the information you need. Good luck and let us know how the practice turkey goes.

Cut your Mom some slack and make a couple of mistakes!

It's not always easy to pass the holiday traditions on to the next generation.

Above all, relax and have some fun!

My mother always stuffed the bird. I have broken away from that tradition. I find that I have better luck getting the bird cooked properly without having to worry about getting the stuffing done too. It cooks faster and more predictably, and the stuffing I make outside of the bird gets rave reviews. I got the basic recipe from Food and Wine magazine. I like a savory stuffing, so I add sage and rosemary to the thyme in the recipe. I also find that this recipe overfills the recommended 9x13 pan - I usually have to put some in a smaller Corningware casserole dish. It cooks up as a moist and wonderful stuffing.

Wild Mushroom Stuffing
Serves 12

1. 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  2. 1 1/2 pounds mixed fresh mushrooms, tough stems removed, mushrooms cut into 1-inch pieces
  3. 4 medium shallots, finely chopped
  4. 4 large garlic cloves, minced
  5. 2 large celery ribs, finely chopped
  6. 1 medium onion, chopped
  7. 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme- (I add about 2 tsp sage and 1 tsp rosemary)
  8. 1 cup dry white wine
  9. 5 cups Chicken Stock or canned low-sodium broth
  10. Salt and freshly ground pepper
  11. One 1-pound loaf of peasant bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice and toasted until dry
  12. 2 cups heavy cream
  13. 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  14. 3 large eggs, beaten

1. In a large nonreactive skillet, melt 5 tablespoons of the butter. Add the mushrooms and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned. Stir in the shallots, garlic, celery, onion and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the thyme. Cook until all the vegetables are softened slightly. Stir in the wine and simmer until almost evaporated. Add 2 cups of the Chicken Stock and simmer over moderate heat until the liquid reduces and thickens, about 13 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
  2. Add the toasted bread to the bowl along with the remaining 3 cups stock and 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Stir in the cream and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the eggs and mix well. Spoon the stuffing into a buttered 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Cover the stuffing with foil and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 30 minutes longer, or until the top is golden and crisp and the stuffing is firm. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead: The stuffing can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking. Serve With Turkey.

Last edited:
I have two of the roasters. I have cooked a turkey in the roaster a few times. You have to make a browning sauce to get it to brown--it doesn't brown in the roaster oven. Or, you could move it to the oven for the last 45 minutes.

Mind you, I followed the instructions that came with the roasters. I did find that the turkey cooked in less time than in the oven because the roaster oven is smaller.

America's Test Kitchen had an excellent segment on 10-steps to the perfect turkey. One tip was to line the cavity with cheese cloth and put 2 c of stuffing there, tie the cheese cloth. Start the turkey breast down. When it reaches 130, flip it and ake out the cheese cloth sack. Continue cooking the bird until the temp is 161. Mix the stuffing that was in the pouch with the rest of the stuffing and finish in the oven while the turkey is resting. I imagine you can find the segment on ATK's web site.

That sounds like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more trouble than it's worth! If you have a good stock made up ahead, your dressing baked outside the bird will be just as delicious and soft (except for the crust on top) as if you cooked it inside the turkey.

I prefer baking mine separately because my bird is so large (I always go for one that is 20 pounds-plus) it already takes long enough without the dressing inside. That and even if you take it out there's residue of it left inside that, if the carcass is not refrigerated within enough time, can cause mild food poisoning.

There's not a lot of documentation on mild food poisoning, because most folks mistake it for diarrhea.

Because we eat turkey often (about once a month--we buy when they are special and toss in the freezer), I usually just roast the turkey. If we have turkey for Christmas/New Year's/Easter, I will stuff it. Next time I stuff a turkey, I'm going to use the cheesecloth trick. Speaking of turkey, I best go out and herd chickens before it's dark.

another trick i love to do and will give you the juiciest chicken breast is to use piping bag and pump a herb butter under the skin of the breast it will melt in your mouth.

For browning the turkey in the counter top roaster, you need to make sure that it is well thawed, and dried off with paper towels. Don't add any liquid in the roaster. It should brown just fine for you. You can oil the bird, just no liquid. Works for me! Hope this helps.

That sounds like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more trouble than it's worth! If you have a good stock made up ahead, your dressing baked outside the bird will be just as delicious and soft (except for the crust on top) as if you cooked it inside the turkey.

I prefer baking mine separately because my bird is so large (I always go for one that is 20 pounds-plus) it already takes long enough without the dressing inside. That and even if you take it out there's residue of it left inside that, if the carcass is not refrigerated within enough time, can cause mild food poisoning.

There's not a lot of documentation on mild food poisoning, because most folks mistake it for diarrhea.

I Agee on all of your points.

For the juiciest turkey I have ever made I marinate it for up to 7 days prior with Rosemary, kiwi -or other citrus- and a bottle of the driest Chardonnay I have. Put in a bag in refrigerator and turn every other day to get the wine in every nook and cranny of the turkey. Superb taste and tenderness. Use the wine to make gravy.

I have always stuffed my turkey and everyone is alive and well after eating it. Just don't overstuff it and/or pack the stuffing too tightly in the cavity. I do use a warm stuffing of bread, onions, mushrooms, celery and sausage. I precook the sausage before adding to the stuffing and then use warm stock to moisten it before putting it in the turkey. I also put some stuffing under the skin around the legs and in the small cavity at the other end of the turkey - this turkey is stuffed, believe me. I baste frequently and never let the little plastic pop up thing tell me my turkey is done - I check the leg and wing for clear juices and mobility, or if it moves away from the body. It's always done, moist and very good.

(Yes, Frank, sometimes I even remember to turn the oven ON!) ha ha.

Stuff your turkey, and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom