Anchovies In Olive Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I bought my first anchovy’s in a glass jar. They are packed in olive oil.
I put them in the fridge as soon as I got them home.
The oil has hardened and they could never be removed from the jar without bringing them up to room temp first.
My question is once they come up to temp and I can remove what I need, do I need to return them to the fridge or leave out at room temp? I can keep them covered in oil.
My instinct tells me they should be returned to the fridge and allowed to come up to room temp each time I need some.
They were not refrigerated when I bought them.

Definitely return to the fridge.

I learned many years ago, that even though canned, anchovies seemed to degrade much faster than tuna, sardines, and other canned fish. In the 70s, the only anchovies available, at least in my area, were those small tins that gave anchovies a bad name! The first time I went to Balducci's, in the old location in NYC, I wanted to get some good anchovies, and if anyplace would have them, they would! But I couldn't find them in there! The guy that saw me searching for them that helped me, solved the mystery - all of their anchovies were in the fridge! He also told me that the better anchovies were in the larger, 16 oz and 24 oz cans - the restaurants that use them got the better ones! He convinced me to buy a 16 oz can, and I wondered if this was true, or if he was just a good salesman? Turns out, they were the best I had ever had - actually, the only ones I had ever liked to that point in time. Years later, in the Italian Market in Philly, I looked for the large cans in Claudio's, and it turned out that they kept the big cans in the back - refrigerated! And way back in the late 70s or early 80s, I noticed that in supermarkets the small tins of Progresso anchovies were in the refrigerator sections, and they were much better than the unrefrigerated tins.

These days, the anchovies in the jars are very good. I always empty the large tins into a mason jar - if necessary, adding a little olive oil to cover completely. I just take them out and set them on the counter, while preparing other things, and the oil liquefies fairly quickly - enough to take what I need, and return it to the fridge.

Yeah, I discovered that the anchovies in jars are better and stay good tasting longer than tinned anchovies. Yes, they live in the fridge. Yes, they were in the refrigerated fish section, when I have found them in the store. Yes, EVOO turns back into a liquid quite quickly at room temperature.

Jarred anchovies in olive oil do not need to be refrigerated until after the first time you open them. Then they need to be kept in the refrigerator. The olive oil will return to a liquid state in a matter of minutes. I have an open jar in my fridge right now. Would you like me to time it?

I keep my anchovies in a glass jar in the fridge . Just takes a few minutes for the oil to come to room temperature ( mind you, the average temperature here is usually about 27°C; that´s 81°F) and when I´ve removed the anchovies I need, the jar goes back into the fridge.

Does the packaging direct you to Refrigerate After Opening?
It does not say anything on the jar. I looked before I started this thread.

These days, the anchovies in the jars are very good. I always empty the large tins into a mason jar - if necessary, adding a little olive oil to cover completely. I just take them out and set them on the counter, while preparing other things, and the oil liquefies fairly quickly - enough to take what I need, and return it to the fridge.
They are much much better than the ones in tins. They are better tasting and not as salty. I will continue to buy them this way.

Yeah, I discovered that the anchovies in jars are better and stay good tasting longer than tinned anchovies. Yes, they live in the fridge. Yes, they were in the refrigerated fish section, when I have found them in the store. Yes, EVOO turns back into a liquid quite quickly at room temperature.
By the time I finished typing up my thread, they had returned to normal as purchased in the store.
I put some more oil to cover them and put them back into the fridge.

Thanks everyone.

Jarred anchovies in olive oil do not need to be refrigerated until after the first time you open them. Then they need to be kept in the refrigerator. The olive oil will return to a liquid state in a matter of minutes. I have an open jar in my fridge right now. Would you like me to time it?
My thoughts well. Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom