Another how do you use... white truffle oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I've only ever used it in pastas, on pizza, on bruschetta, and once on salad that did not turn out to be very tasty.

It seems I only use it when tomatoes are involved. Perhaps a subconscious foil to the acid in the tomato? Obviously you can overpower dishes with its somewhat strong flavor, so I've avoided using it to finish, for example, fish dishes.

Thoughts?

a dash in an earthy risotto is nice.... not in a Milanese but in one with some stronger more rustic tasting cheeses

I LOVE White Truffle Oil. My mom gifted me with a lovely imported bottle of it awhile ago, & it's kept just fine in my fridge.

I particularly love it drizzled over mashed potatoes, sliced boiled baby potatoes, or Orzo pasta. Frankly, I'd never think of using it in/on a tomato dish, except for perhaps drizzling over a rice or orzo stuffed tomato dish or a homemade specialty pizza. I think cooked tomatoes would overwhelm it.

I brought some white truffle infused vinegar back from France several years ago. It was really tasty mixed w/ olive oil (or other oil) on salads. Jacked up the taste big time.

You might consider using (a very little bit - shaved like really thin mushrooms) in omelets. A couple of shavings, 4 or more eggs, a little (1/2 tsp) cognac & you've got a wonderful omelet. :chef:

any new thoughts on where to drizzle truffle oil? i add it wherever i want mushroom enhanced flavor--soups, stews, sauteed onions and garlic, and with my everyday every way pastas--small droplets, big flavor.

Someone already mentioned the enhancement it gives to mushroom dishes. I believe that is where it shines the best. Adding it just deepens that earthy mushroom flavor. As a side dish, dry saute some thick sliced criminis and drizzle some over them once they are in the serving dish. No other ingredients necessary!;)

Craig

really? how did you ever come up with that idea? i will try it.....

I needed a dessert that included "mushrooms" for Our GCC - Mushroom here at DC. You can search "GCC - Mushroom" to find the results and recipes from the challenge.

I agree it is great with all sorts of different mushrooms. That's how I use it most. But it is also good on beef carpaccio. It's good in a chicken salad dip. It's great on some prosciutto with some fresh parmesan on top... I also drizzle some on a plate of antipasti along with some aged balsamic vinegar. A little over the top but... fun.

Another thing it is good for is something I picked up at a sushi restaurant near me that has some fancy dishes. I do my own variations of it at home. But they have a salmon carpaccio with kosher salt and white truffle oil that is fantastic.

Here's mine. It's not sliced as thin (more like sashimi size) and I put some green onions on top and mix in some soy/yuzu (citrus - a lime would work too) sauce as well as the white truffle oil. Here's what it looks like:

39090-albums342-picture2707.jpg

Last edited:
well, we're now advised that no real chef, no one possessing tastebuds, in fact, no one excepting a complete fool, would use white truffle oil in their kitchen, in their food. period. these were the sentiments served up on the tv show, master chef, by chefs gordon ramsay, gordon elliot, and restaurateur, joe bastianich on monday night. gordon ramsey, whom i greatly admire and respect for his culinary excellence, has me baffled and conflicted at his strident, broad-brushed denunciation of the truffle oils. but in the end the most disturbing revelation for me is ramsey's own unflattering hubris. now, what of the white truffle oil?

well, we're now advised that no real chef, no one possessing tastebuds, in fact, no one excepting a complete fool, would use white truffle oil in their kitchen, in their food. period. these were the sentiments served up on the tv show, master chef, by chefs gordon ramsay, gordon elliot, and restaurateur, joe bastianich on monday night. gordon ramsey, whom i greatly admire and respect for his culinary excellence, has me baffled and conflicted at his strident, broad-brushed denunciation of the truffle oils. but in the end the most disturbing revelation for me is ramsey's own unflattering hubris. now, what of the white truffle oil?

Forget them. If you like the the flavor it adds to your dishes, use it. Chefs sometimes have hangups with different ingredients. Anne Burrell never uses back pepper...

I understand you have to be careful what you buy. Some of them are made in not so good ways. I'm getting ready to leave but when I get back I'll see if I can find the articles I read a good while back about any truffle oil.

Forget them. If you like the the flavor it adds to your dishes, use it. Chefs sometimes have hangups with different ingredients. Anne Burrell never uses back pepper...

I agree. If you like a certain dish or ingredient, the opinion of anyone else makes no difference whatsoever - whether it's the guy next door or the guy who has his own tv show/restaurant/cookbook.

I really like white truffle oil & will continue to use it, regardless of the public naysayers.

The "Master Chefs" claimed that it wasn't really truffle oil, but a concoction devised by perfumers.
But then again, we can't use anything but San Marzano tomatoes either... ;)

Back
Top Bottom