Another "Manager's Special" Score...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I always check the "Manager's Special" areas at Kroger, particularly the meat department. I'm guessing other supermarket chains have a similar area, where they drastically mark down items nearing the "Sell By" dates.

Sometimes there is nothing I want, even if the price is cheap. But sometimes, I get really good deals on really good meats.

Today is an example. Kroger had Prime ribeyes marked down from $21.99 per pound, to $8.80 per pound. They had about six of them, but I picked the two best looking steaks to purchase. I can vacuum seal them and freeze them for months.

CD

Attachments

• PrimeSteakSpecial.jpg
    PrimeSteakSpecial.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 359
The only problem is that they are BIG steaks -- over a pound each. I'm either going to have to cut them in half before freezing, which I don't really want to do because the two ends of a ribeye are a little different in tenderness and flavor.

If I cook them whole, I'll need to be REALLY hungry. Although I can guaranty that Psycho Poodle will make himself available to help me eat it. He has been well trained not to beg at the table, but he struggles with the temptation of steak. He will put his head on my thigh, or maybe gently put a paw on my lap -- just so I know he's there to help. :LOL:

CD

What about saving some of the cooked steak for a sandwich or salad? Thinly sliced - I have done that.

What about saving some of the cooked steak for a sandwich or salad? Thinly sliced - I have done that.

Same here, Taxy...I do that all the time. One nice rib eye is way too much for me to eat at one time, so I slice it thinly and plan on steak and fried eggs the next morning - I love steak and eggs. :yum: Nibbles throughout the day or a steak sandwich that next evening, and it's finally done. :yum::LOL:

I often use the leftover steak to make steak tacos. I always have tortillas and other taco fillings in the fridge and pantry, so I can make tacos without going to the store.

CD

Some fine lookin' steaks there, CD. I was going to suggest steak tacos with any leftovers, but you already had that figured out. I always have a package of medium size tortilla on hand for quick snack-wiches.

Some fine lookin' steaks there, CD. I was going to suggest steak tacos with any leftovers, but you already had that figured out. I always have a package of medium size tortilla on hand for quick snack-wiches.

Tortillas are a staple item in my kitchen (repeating myself). They are great for quick snacks.

I love corn tortillas, but it is hard to get good ones that don't crumble when you wrap them around something. Flour tortillas are just more practical to keep on hand for that quick "snack-wich."

CD

A one pound steak is just about right for a light dinner. Add in some mushrooms gravy, potatoes and a big glass of iced tea and it can't get much better.

A one pound steak is just about right for a light dinner. Add in some mushrooms gravy, potatoes and a big glass of iced tea and it can't get much better.

When I was in my twenties, that was a proper meal. Now that I am approaching sixty, a pound of steak, with potatoes and gravy feels like a 16-pound bowling ball in my stomach. I can't eat like that anymore.

CD

When I was in my twenties, that was a proper meal. Now that I am approaching sixty, a pound of steak, with potatoes and gravy feels like a 16-pound bowling ball in my stomach. I can't eat like that anymore.

CD

I hear that.. An 8oz steak gets shared with Jeannie @ our age now..

I ordered a 23oz porterhouse @ Texas Roadhouse a week ago.. The leftovers made two more meals at home..

Ross

If there should be any leftovers, I'd recommend steak and eggs for breakfast. That's how I usually deal with leftover steak.

Steak salad on baby greens with crumbled bleu cheese, grated baby beets, roasted walnuts, and bleu cheese dressing is one of my favorite was to eat cold leftover medium rare steak.

Whoops..too late, although you could do steak surgery when you defrost them.

Rib Eye Cap steak is definitely in my future next time we buy RE steaks. That succulent cap is my favorite part and I'll roll it up and use a silicone band.

Last edited:
Kayelle, I checked out that site you posted and did a close-up to the picture of the meat..

That first package was "$62.**" and the second "$74.**" - I couldn't read the weight but each of those pieces had better serve 4 before I pay that kind of price!

Back
Top Bottom