Any canned soups that you would recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
georgevan

On a cooking forum, you will get various answers on questions such as this one. They differ from questions concerning cooking methods, particular recipes, etc.

For deciding about usage of things like prepared soups, mixes, etc., you only need to go by what suits your particular needs, abilities and desires.

Some here will turn up noses at canned soups, etc. You just be you.

As along as something works for you, go for it. :)

Ross

There are (were) two kinds of canned soup that I really like. Your taste may be different. I love Habitant French Canadian Pea Soup (not the one with added ham though). When I could get it, I really enjoyed Howard Johnson's Clam Chowder.

As an adult, I have tried my childhood favourites again, but they were only ho hum. They were Campbell's Cream of Celery soup and Cream of Mushroom soup.

Progresso clam chowder is really good. I could make clam chowder, but clams are scarce here in central Texas. Their beef pot roast soup is great, also.

Any canned chili I've encountered is barely edible. Campbell's soups are fine, just not as good as Progresso.
As an aside comment, we went to what was touted as a great restaurant, and it was famous for its tomato aspic. Their "aspic" turned out to be concentrated Campbell's tomato soup. You could see the little rings from the can on it. I haven't been able to eat canned tomato soup since that experience.

I never had canned soups as a child. Mom cooked. Later on, I developed a liking for Progresso Lentil Soup. I haven't even had that in years.

I would say that, generally, people who like to cook don't use canned soups (except maybe in casseroles and skillet dinners).

My Mom, not being adverse to cooking from scratch at all, did use canned soups for the various flavours. I believe it was generally Campbell's, Tomato to have with grilled cheese, Chicken Noodle to have with...? My favourite was the Chicken Noodle but I was always disappointed theer was hardly any chunks of meat

We had stews, chili, hash - but I don't remember a lot of soups.

and she made (according to my father) some wicked chowders.

I like Cambles Cream of myshŕòom, and Cambles bean soup, botg condensed. Stag brand chili ìs preþty good. Habìtanŕt is great. Proģresso pea soup is tasty, as is the tomato bàsil, and weďding soup.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

uh huh, uh huh

Attachments

• my-name-is-scott-rogers-and-im-a-food-snob.jpg
    my-name-is-scott-rogers-and-im-a-food-snob.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 18
I can't recommend any purchased soups and I make a taco soup, a vegetable soup, and a habatant soup, home canned in quarts.

Soup can be as easy as putting asparagus, summer savory, water, onion, garlic, in a blender, then heating it to boiling on the stove. It is just that easy. I make that asparagus soup and serve it with toast and salt if you like. My husband's favorite is this soup.

If I had to buy soups, I'd look for low sodium on the labels. There are mc Dougall soups, Amy's Organic soups, and Health Valley soups and more. Even though they are available in low sodium, they are still 350-410 mgs of salt, which for us, is too much, which is why we can our own.

I primarily make my own soups, but I always have a few cans on hand for when I want something quick with ,little to no effort.
I think my wife usually picks up Amy's (Brand) Lentil and something like French Country Vegetable. Both are pretty good.

MY daughter liked the progresso butternut squash soup

And in the past I've had the Progresso ( I dont remember the name ) but it was something like ' Macaroni and bean' Soup.

I think the Progressive Tomato-Basil soup was good too.

Ive been known to doctor up some canned soups by adding noodles, mushrooms, wine , butter .... The end product is good, but it defeats the purpose of getting something quick with no effort.

When I do make soup, there is usually more than enough so I freeze its in quart containers ( which is enough for a meal for me and my wife). The most freezable soups Ive come across is split pea and tomato. and soups with whole vegetables ( like potatoes , carrots..) the consistency changes .

Back
Top Bottom