Any ideas for salad suppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
come to think of it you can put anything on a salad. So why not a complete balanced supper right in the salad. Any ideas?

I recently found this recipe by Steven Raichlen. I have not had a chance to try it yet, but it sure sounds good.

Grilled Cajun Chicken Salad with Spicy Ranch Dressing

Seasoning:
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Salad Dressing:
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 TB. chopped green onion
2 TB. chopped fresh parsley
1 TB. apple cider vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel

1 1/2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 5 oz. package mixed baby greens
1/2 cup pecans, toasted
1/4 cup raisins

Seasoning: Mix all ingredients in small bowl to blend.
Salad Dressing: Whisk 3/4 cup buttermilk, mayonnaise, chopped green onion, chopped fresh parsley, vinegar, garlic, lemon peel and 1 1/2 tsp. seasoning mixture in medium bowl until well blended. Season dressing with salt and pepper to taste

1. Rub remaining seasoning mixture onto chicken. Place chicken in medium bowl. Pour remaining 1 cup buttermilk over chicken, turning to coat. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours, turning occasionally.
2. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Remove chicken from buttermilk, shaking off excess. Grill chicken until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
3. Combine mixed greens, pecans and raisins in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper. Divide salad among 4 plates. Cut chicken on sharp diagonal into 1/2" thick slices. Arrange atop salads and serve.

Our salads are generally whole meal salads, about 3-4 cups each in nice big bowls.
Dressing: tomato sauce, vinegar, onion, garlic and onion powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, in a blender.
Salad: lettuces, tomatoes, broccoli cut finely, pickles chopped, some type of legume, some type of cooked grain, optional additional vegetables-shredded carrot, chopped cucumber, diced red bell pepper.

We eat supper salads often in warm weather.

I generally make a large salad with a a couple of kinds of lettuce, greens, and other vegis. The vegis are usually some mix of carrots, radish (daikon or regular red radishes), sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes), celery, pea shoots, bell pepper (any colour, but seldom green), thinly sliced red onion or scallions, garlic scapes, shredded cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, or other seasonal veg. I often toss in some frozen baby peas and/or some frozen corn.

Then we put some protein, often the meat or fish left from a previous meal or it could be eggs, canned tuna, or cheese or some combination of the above. I often add capers or olives and roasted pumpkin seeds or chopped pecans.

For that kind of salad, I usually make ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing.

I don't worry too much about getting a starch with that, but there could be leftover, sliced up potatoes or croutons.

If there is leftover "taco meat", we usually make a Frito, taco salad. That would be "salad vegis" topped with Fritos and the taco meat, and the regular taco fixings, including shredded cheese and sour cream. For this salad, I usually toss the vegis with a smaller than usual amount of homemade vinaigrette.

For all of those salads, I usually put out a large bowl of the mixed greens and vegis and all the other ingredients are on serving plates and in small bowls. That lets people put as much of each item as suits them.

Here's one I saw today --

Taco Salad

• 1/2 pound ground turkey
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup whole-grain tortilla chips broken
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 3 cups romaine lettuce chopped
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
  • 1/2 cup salsa

Creamy Salsa Dressing (optional)

• 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt plain
  • 2 tablespoons avocado ripe, mashed
  • 1 lime juiced
  • 1/4 cup salsa

Instructions

• Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the turkey. Cook until turkey is no longer pink and cooked through. Add spices, stir to combine and transfer to a bowl and let cool.
  • To make the salad, divide the tortilla chips between six jars. Layer each with the salsa, turkey mixture, tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese.
  • Make the optional dressing by blending the yogurt, avocado, lime juice, and salsa in a blender. Blend until creamy and smooth. Top the salad with the dressing

A salad topped with a sliced Buffalo chicken finger or two and a drizzle of blue cheese dressing.:yum:

A bitter green salad tossed with a sharp vinaigrette and topped with a warm Mollet egg is very inexpensive at home and very ooh-la-la pricey in a restaurant.

There are many great grab 'n' go options in most markets these days that would make great salad toppers.

Plop your favorite sandwich fixin's on a salad or round out a simple green salad with a slice of crunchy garlic toast, melted cheddar cheese toast, a cup of soup, etc...,

Last edited:
Supper on Saturdays was ALWAYS salad when I was a kid.
Usually, it would be lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, red peppers, tiny new potatoes , cooked beetroot (all from the garden), and perhaps some bought coleslaw or something similar. Cheese was always there as well: Cheddar, Wensleydale, Cheshire, Double Gloucester, Red Leicester, Stilton.
Whilst I don´t stick rigidly to the Saturday thing, I often eat a salad as a main meal. I may mix the cucumbers with a little sugar, salt, vinegar and mint; I may add fresh garlic and some red onion to the tomatoes, then bathe them in balsamic vinegar; I may cook the peppers gently in olive oil and garlic, and add olives, or anchovies; I may mix the cooked potatoes and beetroot together, add a couple of hard-boiled eggs, some mayonnaise, a bit of onion and some mustard or horseradish. These days, I make my own coleslaw and maybe add an avocado or two.
The options are endless - if you want to go totally veggie and avoid the cheese, cook up some Borlotti or kidney beans into a salad. If you want to add some salami, mortadella, Parma ham, coppa, be my guest. If you like cold meat, then add chicken or cooked ham. The world is your oyster.

Here's more of a lunch salad

Salad greens of choice

Cottage Cheese
Blackberries
Dried cherries
Walnut or pecan halves (candied if desired)
Sliced Almonds
Drizzle with honey
Dressing of choice

cottage_cheese_berry_salad_021618_IMG_3643.jpg

In my opinion, rotisserie chicken should be your best friend No rotiss chix? Then fire up the grill and get busy. Eat chicken tonight and use the planned overs in salads tomorrow,
This is a salad that Cheryl J shared several years ago, which she tweaked a little, and we added our own variations to make it our own. We often serve it as originally written as a dip with tortilla chips.

(Chicken) Black Bean and Corn Salad

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/black-bean-and-corn-salad-92149.html

1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil (that's way too much...1/4 c is plenty)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (CJ: leaves this out and sub 1/2 tsp cumin instead, IMO, this salad screams for cumin)
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, caramelized
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced (or two!)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
6 green onions, thinly sliced ( or use chopped red onion)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (that might be too much for some)
1 to 2 jalapenos, diced or serrano chilis, cut in circles, innards removed (My add)
1 heaping teaspoon bottled Tiger Sauce, optional
black olives, halved (my add)
2 cups or more coarse shredded rotiss chicken

If you want to add lettuce, place some torn crisp romaine on the plate at serving. Otherwise it wilts, This salad makes a lot, that’s ok, it keeps and is tasty. Sometimes we add some shredded cheese and add letruce to freshen it up a bit and call it taco salad. Always serve with tortilla chips.

Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne (or use the subbed cumin) in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado*, bell pepper, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro and added ingredients. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.

It's better if it sits for a bit before serving, but not necessary.
Mix avocados in last, and gently stir in so they don't get all broken up. They'll stay nice and green with the lime juice dressing.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of mine. Shrimp and egg salad with avocado and a mixed veggie salad with tuna steak. Both delicious.

Attachments

• 20190524_112542.jpg
    20190524_112542.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Tuna Steak Salad.jpg
    Tuna Steak Salad.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 20
In the mid to late '80s I used to receive a monthly newsletter, "Easy Cooking with Great Chefs," featuring a well-known chef, along with one of their recipes and cooking advice.

One April issue put the spotlight on Daniel Boulud. I've always admired his food skills and recipes.

The one in this particular issue was stunningly delicious. The presentation is super beautiful. I've searched the 'net for the recipe but never came close. However...I did save my newsletter. Here's the recipe:

SALAD OF SHORT RIBS AND BEETS WITH TARRAGON
(Serves 4 to 6)​

4 lbs. thick beef short ribs
4 cleaned leeks (separate greens
from whites)
1 carrot, peeled and split in two
3 Tbsp. chopped parsley
Tarragon leaves
1 tsp. celery salt
¼ tsp. crushed black peppercorns
½ lb. small red-skinned potatoes,
cleaned (but not peeled)
1 Tbsp. finely chopped shallot
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
5 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 lb. beets, cleaned
1 head Boston lettuce, cleaned
1 bunch chives, cut in 1-in. pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the short ribs in a casserole and cover with 1 gallon of water. Add the leek greens, the carrot, the celery salt, the black pepper and ½ tablespoon of salt. Boil gently for 1 hour. Remove the ribs, strain the bouillon, discard the vegetables (or keep them for a soup) and return the ribs and bouillon back to the casserole. Add the potatoes and the white ends of the leeks and bring to a boil. Cook for another 30 to 45 minutes, then drain. (Save the cooking bouillon in the fridge for future use in sauces or as a soup.)

Cut the ribs in ½-inch slices. Discard the bones and the fat. Slice the potatoes ¼-inch thick and quarter the leek whites.
In a bowl, toss the meat and vegetables together while still warm. Add the shallot, the garlic and 2/3 of the herbs. To season, sprinkle with 3½ tablespoons vinegar, 5 to 7 tablespoons olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss carefully to avoid mashing the vegetables.

In a separate pot, while the beef is cooking, boil the beets until done (1 hour minimum). Drain, cool, peel and cut them in thin wedges. Season them with the rest of the herbs, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper.

To serve, toss the lettuce with the remaining vinegar and olive oil. Place the lettuce leaves on the bottom and around the sides of a large salad bowl. Place the beef salad in the center surrounded by beets. Sprinkle with chives.

Easy Cooking with Great Chefs
Daniel Boulud
April 1989

Mandarin Chicken Salad

3 cups diced cooked chicken
1 cup diced celery
2 TB. lemon juice
1 TB. finely chopped onion (asked DH to put in more)
3/4 cup mayonnaise (same here)
1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup seedless grapes, halved
1 tsp. lemon pepper
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

In a medium bowl, combine first eight ingredients; mix well. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours. Fold in Pecans just before serving. Makes 4 servings.

Source: Country April/May 1995 -Judy Sloter, Alpharetta, Georgia

Today is National Spinach Day. Sorry I am a bit late with this.

Flat Iron Steak Salad
Serves 4

3/4 lb. beef flat iron steak or top sirloin steak
3/4 tsp. salt, divided
1/2 tsp. pepper, divided
1/4 cup olive oil
2 TB. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. lemon juice
5 oz. fresh baby spinach (about 6 cups)
1 medium beefsteak tomato, sliced
1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
4 radishes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, optional

Sprinkle steak with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4" from heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135F; medium, 140F; medium-well, 145F), 6-8 minutes on each side. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, lemon juice and the remaining salt and pepper. Divide spinach among 4 plates. Add tomato, avocado and radishes.

Cut steak into slices; place over salad. Drizzle with dressing; if desired, sprinkle with cheese.

Source: Simple & Delicious mag. June 2019 Marla Clark, Albuquerque, NM

Chief's Salad Au Crunch, Family Sized
Salad:
1 head butter, or bib lettuce
1 cup red leaf lettuce
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
1/2 cup raw, peeled, and sliced sun choke
1 cup red radishes
1/4 cup grated jicama
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup crisp fried chicken skin crumbles
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
1/2 head purple cabbage
1 cup drained chick peas
1 cup drained dark red kidney beans
1 cup broken pecan pieces, cashews, Brazil nuts, or hazelnuts
1 cup grape tomatoes
1 cup whole black olives
2 cups diced, cooked chicken, or shrimp

Dressing:
4 oz. EVOO
2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/4tsp. oregano
1/4tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary(or your favorite hard Italian cheese)
1/4 tsp anchovy paste

Place all salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss. Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl, and whisk together. Drizzle dressing over salad, and lightly toss. Garnish with sunflower seeds. Serve with bruschetta, or toasted garlic French bread.

Tip: leftover flame grilled burgers can be broken up and used in place of the chicken, or shrimp.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom