Any other forums you all frequent for cooking other than this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ravich

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for a place where I can go to ask a range of questions about cooking, whether it's recommendations on what brand of tuna to go for, or where to find a good recipe for thai food that wont tell me to put ketchup in pad thai. This seems like one place, but I'd like to have more than one source. Any recommendations? I just found this by googling "cooking forums" and clicked on the first result.

Ravich, welcome and I'm sure you can get all your questions answered here. There are lots of places around.

I hope you will understand when I say your question took me a bit off guard. Coming to a message board and making your first post about other sites is a bit like going into a restaurant and asking, "where else can I eat?" before your food arrives! Settle in and see what DC has to offer before you run off.

*nods head*....well said Alix.

Just for fun I Googled cooking forums and not only did DC come up first on the first page, I stopped looking for another at page 30. :LOL:

There's no place like home. ;)

I hope you will forgive us if we are a bit protective. It's just that everyone here is so very helpful and some don't see the need to go elsewhere. But I do understand that this site is not always as active as I would like it to be so maybe that is true of you too. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I visit a couple of Danish cooking sites. But, unless you read Danish well, I wouldn't really recommend them. ;)

Exactly.

Now, if you had rephrased your question asking members here like 'what other food sites do you frequent' you may have gotten different responses.

I like outdoor cooking so I also frequent a couple of BBQ sites and also a couple of pizza making sites, including a couple of outdoor oven sites as well.
I also frequent a couple of other less traveled general food forums.

But you will do fine here as your one source stop. This is one of the largest food forums on this planet.

Sure, even from France this forum is quite good.

Even if it's sometimes quite complicated if the visitor isn't good at Cooking.

If you visit another forum
you'll have hell to pay :-p

Attachments

• Nun_ruler.jpg
    Nun_ruler.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 232
No hard feelings or anything. I dont see the correlation between this and asking a restaurant about other places to get food. People eat limited numbers of meals each day and when they eat they only do so at one restaurant, and the restaurants get paid for serving food.

I'm just doing research, so wanting more than one source is understandable I feel. It's not like I'm bound to post at only one food/cooking based messageboard, right? I wasnt asking about other forums so that I could leave this place ASAP or anything, dont worry.

Oh dear, I have a feeling we're pushing you OFF the site rather than encouraging you to stay. That wasn't my intention at all! Discuss Cooking covers a LOT of territory and since you've only posted a couple of times its tough to know what all you are interested in. Cruise around here a bit, tell us what interests you and the folks here will help you find other places that can really round out your experiences.

Welcome, and I hope you stick around.

Ummm...I'm over 1000 posts. Just sayin' ;)

That's a lot of pizza!:LOL:

Welcome Ravich! Jump in, take a look around, there are a lot of very nice people here and many of us love teaching...and learning. What are your favorite things to cook and eat?

Well, I was a bit put off by people not grasping the nature of wanting more than one cooking site to frequent as an information source, but it's not like that'll stop me from posting here. I have no better alternatives after all, and this place seems fine to me

Me? I've always liked cooking but since it tends to be frustrating (you have to be bad at cooking for a long time before you can be good at it) and I dont have a dishwasher, it isnt always rewarding enough for there to be incentive for me to do it. Besides, I tend to cook for myself (though I now cook for roommates occasionally), making it hard to acquire and use ingredients and have it be reasonable cost efficient.

Anyway, I've become more interested in recently because while I was looking for a good chinese fried rice recipe (never found it), I stumbled across thaifoodtonight.com and tried several of the recipes and found that they actually tasted like... thai food! This is opposed to countless recipes I have come across and tried that tell me to do things like put lemon juice in thai curry (doesnt taste like thai curry). It wasnt perfect as far as a balance of sweet/spicy/salty, but I could tell that it had the correct basis, and since there are videos where you can watch the meals being prepared and get advice on where to buy ingredients and what to look for, I was able to learn a lot about thai cooking quickly. I've gotten a hang for the recipes on the website and what I generally change so that the taste is to my liking, and I've been making a fair amount of food from that website recently. It is satisfying to have recipes that you know you will go back to because they will turn out well.

I came here because I had a craving for a peking pork dish I remember having at a chinese restaurant in my hometown, and I tried the usual approach of googling for a good recipe, and quickly found that nearly all of the recipes called for ketchup, which.... even if it's possible to make good peking pork with ketchup, I'm looking for authentic recipes, and not substitutes. I was able to find out that Hoisin sauce is probably used for authentic peking pork, but past that I was lost, so I need a place where I can ask for good recipes and clarification on ingredients, etc, etc.

So thanks for the welcome. See you all around!

I'm a member of the BBC UK food forum, if you like your meat rare its the place for you, warfare and blood letting is the norm.

Ravich my home city is Liverpool we have the oldest Chinatown in Europe, give me a bit more info into the Peking Pork dish (there are a lot) and I may be able to help:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom